Wishaw Juniors - Scottish Junior Cup Semi-finals

Wishaw Secretary

3 hours ago, The'FORD said:

It’s good to see that the junior football community can come together to sort things out. An enquiry from the Wishaw end regarding filming, a hint from our end (Hurlford) to Fitbashorts and a few message from Shannon (Irvine Meadow fan) to Eddie (I think a Kilwinning fan) at Fitbashorts and things are sorted for both legs .
Well done guys. And thanks to all.!

Very nice to read this, lovely that the match is going to get such coverage, let's just hope it does justice. My recurring nightmare at the moment, having watched too many of these European games, is the Ford scoring 3 or 4 within a short space of time on Saturday and killing the tie (I wake up sweating with my alarm sounding like yon bloody bell!), hopefully Wishy are well briefed on the dangers. Personally, I'd be very happy to get to Hurlford on level terms and play winner takes all in a one-off game there.

It is a shame that it coincides with the Motherwell semi-final but I think the Sunday would have been as bad, bearing in mind how many in the area follow the Old Firm (and the game might have been a bit lost in all their hoo-ha).  Hopefully some of their (sensible) local supporters turn up at the Beltane to witness a bit of history being made, they've had 3 semi-finals in a row, Wishy have waited 85 years for this one.

BTW, fascinating to read on the club website the pen pictures of the men who got Wishy to the semis then. If I've been reading them correctly (I've just got back from Central Europe after 3 flights and my head is a bit of a mush), some of the players featured went on to sign for Newcastle, Chelsea and Hibs, quite an incentive for the boys to raise their game at the weekend! I hadn't known that Jimmy Gordon (famed as the sidekick of Clough and Taylor) played for Wishy in that match (or indeed at all). Hopefully Saturday's programme will give more details of the Tranent game in 1935, I'll wager the crowd (at Tynecastle!) was in five figures. My faither (who was a boy at the time) always talked about football special trains leaving Wishy packed for big games, I'm sure this must have been what he was referring to (although as a known haverer I had always been highly sceptical).

Anyway, looking forward so much to being there, great to see the local shops and community getting behind the team, C'MOAN WISHY, HISTORY BECKONS!

4 hours ago, ForzaWishy said:

Very nice to read this, lovely that the match is going to get such coverage, let's just hope it does justice. My recurring nightmare at the moment, having watched too many of these European games, is the Ford scoring 3 or 4 within a short space of time on Saturday and killing the tie (I wake up sweating with my alarm sounding like yon bloody bell!), hopefully Wishy are well briefed on the dangers. Personally, I'd be very happy to get to Hurlford on level terms and play winner takes all in a one-off game there.

It is a shame that it coincides with the Motherwell semi-final but I think the Sunday would have been as bad, bearing in mind how many in the area follow the Old Firm (and the game might have been a bit lost in all their hoo-ha).  Hopefully some of their (sensible) local supporters turn up at the Beltane to witness a bit of history being made, they've had 3 semi-finals in a row, Wishy have waited 85 years for this one.

BTW, fascinating to read on the club website the pen pictures of the men who got Wishy to the semis then. If I've been reading them correctly (I've just got back from Central Europe after 3 flights and my head is a bit of a mush), some of the players featured went on to sign for Newcastle, Chelsea and Hibs, quite an incentive for the boys to raise their game at the weekend! I hadn't known that Jimmy Gordon (famed as the sidekick of Clough and Taylor) played for Wishy in that match (or indeed at all). Hopefully Saturday's programme will give more details of the Tranent game in 1935, I'll wager the crowd (at Tynecastle!) was in five figures. My faither (who was a boy at the time) always talked about football special trains leaving Wishy packed for big games, I'm sure this must have been what he was referring to (although as a known haverer I had always been highly sceptical).

Anyway, looking forward so much to being there, great to see the local shops and community getting behind the team, C'MOAN WISHY, HISTORY BECKONS!

I am sure that people are interested to read about the team that got the club to the semi final in 1935 - but I am also every bit as sure that people would like to read about the guys that have got to the semi final in 2018.......we can't change what happened in 1935 - but we CAN cheer the 2018 team on, to hopefully go all the way!!!

More posters in windows for people to see when they walk up the street is a start to getting a massive crowd....... if people know they might just go! 

Go on Wishy 2018.......

4 hours ago, ForzaWishy said:

Hopefully Saturday's programme will give more details of the Tranent game in 1935, I'll wager the crowd (at Tynecastle!) was in five figures. My faither (who was a boy at the time) always talked about football special trains leaving Wishy packed for big games, I'm sure this must have been what he was referring to (although as a known haverer I had always been highly sceptical).

Yes the Tranent game will be covered in the programme.  Your faither wasn't wrong.  Mr John Chapman of one of our main sponsors James Chapman (Butchers) Ltd has told us of several occasions when packed trains left Wishaw for Juniors games.  Some of the crowd figures given for games in the past were well in excess of those enjoyed by many senior clubs nowadays. 

In reply to Larky 1878 as everyone knows we have been very much a hostage to fortune with the weather this season hopefully no more rain will fall before tomorrow.

Isn't fitba just great? In this case it's breathed some fresh life into a tired wee toon and brought forth a community spirit that hasn't been seen since the troops picketed outside the 'Craig.And,while we know that a crowd can't win a game,if it could then Wishy would be odds-on for tomorrow's contest.

It should be interesting to see how Hurlford's seasoned campaigners handle the atmosphere in what someone*once described as the Junior equivalent of the Ali Sami Yen stadium,a venue where only the bravest survive.

* Might have been me.  :) 

Edited by tommyboy

29 minutes ago, WitsTheGoalieDain? said:

Will wishy and hurlfords grounds both be suitable for a potential 4 figure crowd?

Hopefully we will find that out tomorrow about Beltane - that would be a great boost for the players plus it would make for a fantastic atmosphere!!!

COYW !!

Lovely guys who were very hospitable on our last two visits to the Beltane.It would be an unbelievable achievement if Wishaw were able to get to the Final and what a great change to see a new name on the Cup!Theres a long way to go before that though..Good luck to you all!

With a balmy 12 degrees forecast for Wishaw,it looks like taps aff at a sun bathed Beltane today folks.Get there early and bring your factor 15!

Scottish Cup semi at 2.30 followed by the Grand National at 5.15.....what a day to be alive!  :thumsup2

With apologies to Wullie S ...

And punters in Wishy now a-bed

Shall think themselves accursed that they were not here

And hold their manhoods cheap whiles any speaks

That watched The Wishy on Grand National day.  :)

CTW !

1 hour ago, tommyboy said:

With a balmy 12 degrees forecast for Wishaw,it looks like taps aff at a sun bathed Beltane today folks.Get there early and bring your factor 15!

Scottish Cup semi at 2.30 followed by the Grand National at 5.15.....what a day to be alive!  :thumsup2

With apologies to Wullie S ...

And punters in Wishy now a-bed

Shall think themselves accursed that they were not here

And hold their manhoods cheap whiles any speaks

That watched The Wishy on Grand National day.  :)

CTW !

Hi Robert and all the staff all the best for today - hope all our dreams come true.

jUST LEAVING TO COME THROUGH COME ON THE   WISHY

G W

Edited by black white

Not a classic at The Beltane today. Wishaw started poorly, don't know if the occasion got to them, but they made it easy for Hurlford in the first half. Ford controlled the game and well deserved their lead thru Danny Mitchell. It could have been more, but the post and the home keeper Sandy Thompson kept them at bay.

Second half was a different story. Wishaw started to play and press, with Dan Kindlan causing all sorts of problems on the right flank. They thought they had equalised, but it was incorrectly chopped off for offside. Ford had chances second half too, the best when Tiny Watt was foiled by another top save by Thomson.

Wishaw probably thought they didn't deserve to lose and it's only half​ time, so on to Blair Park for the deciding leg.

The banter in the bar after the game was good and Wishaw's hospitality in general was excellent. Hopefully we can reciprocate next week.