St Mirren vs Dumbarton - 19:45 - 27th March

• Replies 142
  • Created
  • Last Reply

I expected a loss tonight as we were against the champions elect so no disgrace in that

the way we folded and played in the second half was however disappointing.

need to concentrate on regrouping for play offs and certainly entering play offs playing like that will result in only one thing 

Superb performance from Saints tonight.

For me, the best signal of our intent was McGinn after the first goal - didn’t join in the celebrations, instead grabbed the ball ran back to the halfway line and placed it firmly on the centre spot.

To me that said: “Okay, we’ve scored a goal. Good start, but lots of work still to do.”.

That spirit is what’s got us where we are and what is going to get us over the line.

That was a superb display from us tonight. Without sounding disrespectful we could easily have scored 8 or 9 tonight and still moved up another gear.  Morgan is a joy to watch and his two goals had class written all over them.

7 Home games and 7 wins with no goals conceded. We are relentless consistent and light years ahead of every team in this league.

For me, the best signal of our intent was McGinn after the first goal - didn’t join in the celebrations, instead grabbed the ball ran back to the halfway line and placed it firmly on the centre spot.
To me that said: “Okay, we’ve scored a goal. Good start, but lots of work still to do.”.
That spirit is what’s got us where we are and what is going to get us over the line.
I hadn't noticed this. A great capt who we are fortunate to have

Great performances all over the park for Saints and some individual moments of magic thrown in. However, I thought the desire to win the ball back was exceptional. We were hunting in packs and their midfield - front were hassled n harried at every turn. A truly champion elect performance.
For Sons, its now looking likely that the play offs beckon due to Inverness and Falkirk's current form. Still an outside chance of catching up but need to find goals from somewhere

5 hours ago, glenburn bud said:

That was a superb display from us tonight. Without sounding disrespectful we could easily have scored 8 or 9 tonight and still moved up another gear.  Morgan is a joy to watch and his two goals had class written all over them.

7 Home games and 7 wins with no goals conceded. We are relentless consistent and light years ahead of every team in this league.

I hope that was enjoyable enough for your boy pal :P

Honking from us. Hard to see how we avoid the play-offs with the results last night. 

2 hours ago, The Moonster said:

I hope that was enjoyable enough for your boy pal :P

Honking from us. Hard to see how we avoid the play-offs with the results last night. 

The wee guy was mortified when he saw his picture on the scoreboard:lol:.  The result helped him get over his embarrassment :P

12 hours ago, Sonsteam of 08 said:

A wee stat I hadn’t actually thought of on Andy’s Twitter. We have 2 wins from 24 (Yes, 24) league games against teams who aren’t Brechin. Inverness and Saints were the two teams to fall.

I think that says a lot.

Edit: And I should say that both ICT and St Mirren finished with 10 men in those games.

Aye and we've only scored 12 goals in those 24 games. Full record is P24  W2  D9  L13  F12  A36  Pts 15

Just now, Nowhereman said:

Aye and we've only scored 12 goals in those 24 games. Full record is P24  W2  D9  L13  F12  A36  Pts 15

Saved me a job this afternoon working that out!

That record is grim. Expand it over a season if Brechin hadn't came up, and we'd end on (if my rough maths is correct, feel free to have a good laugh if it's miles off) 23 points: P36 W3 D14 L19 F18 A54. Teams with that sort of form deserve to be relegated, even if the draw percentage is unnaturally high.

In terms of goalscoring seasons this must be our worst for quite some time. Even when we were absolutely garbage at the wrong end of the Third Division we scored a reasonable number - it was just keeping them out that was the issue. A quick check shows 31 for in 2007-08. Not good at all, but still quite a few more than our current tally of 19

A wee bit about Dumbarton’s performance...

I actually thought they started really well, and were playing with a lot of energy.

Wondered if they’d been told to give it all they could for the first 15 mins, maybe sneak a goal, and then have something to defend.

Saints goals knocked the stuffing out of them, but who knows what effect an immediate goal after our second would have had on them - which aside from a great Sammy save is exactly what they’d have had.

Almost had some sympathy for them in the second half as it was the very definition of ‘chasing shadows’ as Saints played some great stuff.

I say ‘almost’ as there were a few really wild and nasty tackles flying in in the last 15-20 minutes.

Frustration no doubt,  but not nice.

Archived