Club or Country?

Club or Country - Which do you prefer?  

187 members have voted

You do not have permission to vote in this poll, or see the poll results. Please sign in or register to vote in this poll.

• Replies 291
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Yeah, an option for both would have made for a better poll.  Aside from Pep's absolute desperation to be a whiny, contrary voice, and others desperately trying to convey what lengths they would go to not to watch Scotland, can you not just like both?

I love going to Firhill, and I obviously care about Thistle's results.  Those matches come along more often, so they're going to take up most of my attention as a fan.  But I look forward to international windows that are actually meaningful.  The ones like this one are pretty shit, granted.  I made no attempt to take in any of Friday night's game, and I'll only get to watch a bit of tonight's if I've got nothing else on, but a big competitive game for Scotland is a much different experience than you'd get at Firhill.  

So basically, they're both different, and I enjoy both.

12 hours ago, ancientnoise said:

I have two teams: Killie and Scotland. Why would I ever have to choose between them?

Daft vote IMO, so abstained.

^^^ Related image^^^

Only kidding, and I see your point. Definitely more emotionally invested in Killie, but would like to see Scotland to win every game. I guess at the moment Killie are going in the right direction on and off the park, while the SFA are, in true MJ style, doing the complete opposite with an almost deliberately provocative glee, so it's easy to feel a little alienated from the national side at the moment. 

Club before country for me (Killie chucking a three-goal lead against Celtic in 2011 still smarts more than any Scotland qualifying debacle), but I remember games like Italy in 2007, when every bar in Glasgow seemed packed out and bouncing, and there's always something pretty exciting about watching Scotland when there's something on the line.

Ultimately though people have stronger connection with the clubs that they follow.  I've been to 3 Scotland footy games but ultimately it was just a day/night out tbh.  However, it would be good fun qualifying for something interesting again so maybe club AND country to a certain extent? 

I think one of the things that alienates people from International football is the people with no interest in football who emerge as big fans of “the beautiful game” when big international games comes around.

It’s like 14 year girls wearing Ramones T-Shirts they bought from Top Shop who can’t name any members of the band or Simon from accounts who “never normally drinks” but is found throwing up into his Santa hat in the middle of a cold December George Street.

It’s worse still that we have to deal with their English counterparts.

In 1996 Chris Evans responded to England’s semifinal defeat by burning a pair of Tickets for the final live on Channel 4 because “the tournament is over”

That was a breathtaking display of utter cuntery and while I’m not saying everyone with a plastic flag fluttering from the top of their car window is as bad as that but it is symptomatic of the attitude of these people.

1 hour ago, topcat(The most tip top) said:

I think one of the things that alienates people from International football is the people with no interest in football who emerge as big fans of “the beautiful game” when big international games comes around.

It’s like 14 year girls wearing Ramones T-Shirts they bought from Top Shop who can’t name any members of the band or Simon from accounts who “never normally drinks” but is found throwing up into his Santa hat in the middle of a cold December George Street.

In 1996 Chris Evans responded to England’s semifinal defeat by burning a pair of Tickets for the final live on Channel 4 because “the tournament is over”

That was a breathtaking display of utter cuntery and while I’m not saying everyone with a plastic flag fluttering from the top of their car window is as bad as that but it is symptomatic of the attitude of these people.

Good post.

Factual but funny at the same time :thumsup2

23 hours ago, topcat(The most tip top) said:

It  makes it easier for international coaches if they get their players together for a full week at at a time as opposed to half as long, twice as often.

Especially in countries where most of the squad is playing abroad.

If Christope Berra is in a Scotland squad then popping down to Largs on Sunday evening  isn't a big deal

But Cameroon international Arnaud Djoum is looking at a 12 hour flight  to Yaoundé.

Play all internationals in the summer and if we must have a winter break, during that. I reckon we could easily fit in a dozen internationals in 3 X 2 weeks periods without having to accommodate Arnaud Djoum 3 or 4 times during the season cuz it’s shite atm.

1 hour ago, topcat(The most tip top) said:

This is true but you're also doing a good job of illustrating how intl football is a much bigger deal than club.  It actually matters.  Club football doesn't.

35 minutes ago, EdTheDuck said:

Play all internationals in the summer and if we must have a winter break, during that. I reckon we could easily fit in a dozen internationals in 3 X 2 weeks periods without having to accommodate Arnaud Djoum 3 or 4 times during the season cuz it’s shite atm.

The problem with making changes to the international breaks is that they're international

It's tempting to think that we should be able to tailor them to our specific preferences.

But that's the kind of thinking that leads to nonsense like Brexit

29 minutes ago, Peppino Impastato said:

This is true but you're also doing a good job of illustrating how intl football is a much bigger deal than club.  It actually matters.  Club football doesn't.

You clearly didn't appreciate the implicit sarcasm in my use of "big fans". 

It's a limitation of the medium

1 hour ago, Peppino Impastato said:

what 'matters' in terms of sport is entirely subjective and personal to an individual.

As this thread has shown most people have expressed that club football 'matters' more to them.  I'm sure a healthy percentage of the worlds population would tell you that anything that happens in football doesn't 'matter' a f**k.

15 minutes ago, Dons_1988 said:

what 'matters' in terms of sport is entirely subjective and personal to an individual.

As this thread has shown most people have expressed that club football 'matters' more to them.  I'm sure a healthy percentage of the worlds population would tell you that anything that happens in football doesn't 'matter' a f**k.

I started typing a response very similar to this until I realised that I couldn't be bothered to state the obvious just to give Peppino Imustreplytoeverything the attention he craves. 

1 minute ago, Dee Man said:

I started typing a response very similar to this until I realised that I couldn't be bothered to state the obvious just to give Peppino Mustreplytoeverything the attention he craves. 

Alright mate no need to shit all over my post

2 minutes ago, Dons_1988 said:

if you're really sorry you'll watch the greatest hat trick ever from Andy Considine again as a reminder

I'm not that sorry. Once was enough thank you very much. 

Archived