Club or Country?

Club or Country - Which do you prefer?  

187 members have voted

You do not have permission to vote in this poll, or see the poll results. Please sign in or register to vote in this poll.

• Replies 291
  • Created
  • Last Reply
4 minutes ago, topcat(The most tip top) said:

I actually enjoy the World Cup more without Scotland being there.

It used to be a lot more stressful

Really?  

I'll take some emotional investment any day over Serbia v Switzerland or some such.

See I don't even know who that is, illustrating my point.  I mean what's success for your mob, finishing fifth in the 40th best league in the world in front of 3500 fans.  Wow.

I tell you one thing though, whoever it is if you offer him a 10% wage increase he'd drop Kilmarnock like a bad habit and be off to wherever is offering it next season.

Nice to see a poster putting effort in.

Would definitely say club but I enjoy internationals (although not nonsensical, glorified training sessions like that Costa Rica farce on Friday). My girlfriend isn't really into football and has never shown any interest in going with me to Ayr games, but she loves coming along to Hampden to see Scotland and its something that we love doing together. International football is what you make of it. 

Club form comes and goes in cycles. No doubt in the next 20 years Dunfermline will have had a torturous SPL season, and inept play off push, few decent seasons, flirting with the later stages of a cup competition and probably have a relegation to the third tier scare.

I've not seen Scotland play in a major championship since I was in my early teens.

I'd edge towards country at this stage.

I only have a very limited interest in football but I'd say country first. 

I'm more interested in the rugby team but would take a passing interest in the football team if they could actually show promise.  I'm halfway to 60 but was winding up P7 last time they got to a major finals.  As for Tuesday night they'd struggle to beat Thirsty never mind Hungary these days.  Hopefully they grab a win though.  I've only attended 3 footy internationals but would attend more if there was less SNP/Independance seethe.  Who cares about politics?  Let's just go and support the team. 

For what it's worth though, Scotland should be getting into the next major championships due to the easy-peasy Nations Cup route.  It's a bit like being underage for an R rated movie but your mate's big bro who works in the cinema sneaks you in the side entrance, as opposed to getting through the qualifiers which is like being underage, slamming your cash on the cinema ticket counter like a boss and getting in without ID, no questions asked.  So the Nations Cup isn't quite as fancy tbh but that's nice too.  Good luck to them.    

Growing up, it was both but now 100% club only (although I've got no animosity to the national team, only indifference). I don't even regularly watch Scotland games on TV and usually see the score after the fact - a win makes me happy in the same vague way that a Scottish athlete winning a gold or Andy Murray winning something does. I no longer have any connection to it at all (especially as a lot of the English players are totally unknown to me). This is at a time where I go to the vast majority of home & away 'Well games as I always have done - I still love the fitba, just not the international stuff.

Scotland games used to be (for a 'Well supporter) a bigger version of what you did on a normal Saturday - you were going with basically the same type of people (albeit they supported different teams to you) and the experience was similar -  it was just part of the rhythm and routine of the season. Maybe it was when Hampden was redeveloped or a bit later, but Scotland games started to mimic the Six nations stuff for me - ie - a lot of folk that go a few times a season as a social event but never to club games and  didn't seem to care the way football supporters usually did. The last game I remember being at was foam-fingers, families and tartan army caricatures everywhere and (especially given the hilarious pricing) that was enough for me.

4 hours ago, Peppino Impastato said:

Nobody suggested it should define you.  Neither should you attempt to act all sanctimonious by pretending to be more enlightened than others as it's nauseating.

I was putting into context my reasons for no longer being patriotic towards a place that I just so happened to have been born in and that I place more importance peoples characteristics than Nationality. (Probably just as well considering I've spent nearly as much of my life living outside Scotland as I have in it)

If I truly being sanctimonious I'd have named the category you fall under. Arsehole or non Arsehole.....

Club all the way. I used to go to all the Scotland internationals but my passion for Scotland has diminished for a large number of reasons. The TA, the SFA and the Scotland management among major reasons.

My passion for Aberdeen has never changed.

15 hours ago, ali_91 said:

Please never compare us to pointless dross like Partick Thistle ever again, makes your other points completely worthless when you come out with nonsense comparisons like that.

Lol @ St Tinpot.

One trophy in your entire existence and it took you 130 years to win it!

:lol:

As a Killie fan, it used to be easier to say country first but not so these days. I've been a Killie supporter since I was 5 but I'm also a member of the Travel Club and have been for 17 years so it's not an easy decision. I'm going to sit on the fence and say that my goal-scoring exploits for Killie will inevitably earn me an international call up.

Archived