The Exciting Race for the Premiership Playoffs

Playoff poll  

155 members have voted

1. 1. Which team will be playing in the final in May?

2. 2. Will the Championship team win the final?

This poll is closed to new votes

• Please sign in or register to vote in this poll.
  • Poll closed on 31/03/18 at 14:00

34 minutes ago, andylivi1 said:

I really dont care when they are, I’m delighted to be in them and will be at them regardless of what dates they are. 

My feeling too tbh. They are total bonus games. Friday night is a great night for football as well.

As soon as you accept TV money, you're leaving yourself wide open for unusual and unhelpful dates.

• Replies 419
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Well. After tonight’s result,. It all looks quite interesting for Saturday.

Caley need to win

A draw will do for the PARS to secure their playoff spot (barring an 8 goal ICT win), however a win would take them over United were we to fail to beat Livi.

Interesting that it will go to the wire for final playoff places.

Can see United resting a few tbh but the PARS and ICT need to go BAWS oot first team.

17 minutes ago, Sittìng on the fence said:

Definitely looks like working in Pars favour here good chance Dumbarton  will be more interested in their play-off and could maybe rest players.

Agreed.  But reckon the Pars will still need to play their strongest team to ensure they get the required outcome, and that might help United a bit if a few of our lads get a rest.

Won't matter long term of course but up to United to make the best out of a shitey situation that they can.

7 hours ago, Poet of the Macabre said:

There are games scheduled for a Monday, Tuesday, Thursday, Friday and Sunday, so you could only have made a Wed night or a Sat afternoon?

Well I can obviously make Saturday's and I'd be able to make a Sunday game too but we're not going to get that far so that one doesn't count. I was expecting to miss the midweek legs anyway but to not have games on the Saturday is horrible.

If we avoid a f**k up on Saturday then I really don't think rest/tiredness will come into it for us. Is getting pumped 3-0 by Queens (like Utd) or losing at home to ICT (looking at you Livi) great mental preparation for going in to a playoff?  We've overcome a couple of big stumbling blocks recently. Winning away at Falkirk was important not because it was Falkirk but we have had a real problem beating full timers away. A win at a traditionally tough venue (for us) should be a weight off the shoulders. Similarly, our 95th minute goal on Saturday showed the team that it's not just our opponents who can score at the death. That was our first late important goal since the last game of last season (also a Clark header). 

Pars have not had the backlog of games like the teams around us and have an early season freshness about us. Cardle coming back from injury, hopefully big Beadling coming back, Andy Ryan breaking in to the team, good options/cover in all positions. Concede few goals and if we can catch tiring defenders on the break on the long East End pitch then Cardle in particular could do some damage. We had to really scrap for a 2-2 draw last time out at home to Dumbarton though so it's far from a formality. 

5 hours ago, JamieStevenson said:

Well I can obviously make Saturday's and I'd be able to make a Sunday game too but we're not going to get that far so that one doesn't count. I was expecting to miss the midweek legs anyway but to not have games on the Saturday is horrible.

None of the Premiership play-off games last season took place on a Saturday, so no clue why anyone would think that would change this season. In fact, I think there's only ever been one traditional 3pm Saturday kick off since this play-off system began in 2014.

41 minutes ago, Poet of the Macabre said:

Yes.

Edit - I went to Hibs vs Rovers at Easter Road, which was a Saturday but 12:30 kick off. Give me Friday night games over Saturday lunchtime every single time.

Good for you. 

Unfortunately allot of people tend to be working on a Friday and if you're a certain distance away it's not very helpful. You would undoubtedly get a bigger attendance on a Saturday afternoon. 

If you've got no clue as to why anyone would think a match between two sides in this division would be on a Saturday that's on you. 

23 minutes ago, Grant228 said:

Good for you. 

Unfortunately allot of people tend to be working on a Friday and if you're a certain distance away it's not very helpful. You would undoubtedly get a bigger attendance on a Saturday afternoon. 

If you've got no clue as to why anyone would think a match between two sides in this division would be on a Saturday that's on you. 

You can argue all you want that the games *should* be on a Saturday - I'd probably agree with you.

However, recent history clearly shows the Premiership play-off games aren't usually played on a Saturday afternoon. For the vast majority of people, Friday night will be no issue.

16 hours ago, Shandon Par said:

If we avoid a f**k up on Saturday then I really don't think rest/tiredness will come into it for us. Is getting pumped 3-0 by Queens (like Utd) or losing at home to ICT (looking at you Livi) great mental preparation for going in to a playoff?  We've overcome a couple of big stumbling blocks recently. Winning away at Falkirk was important not because it was Falkirk but we have had a real problem beating full timers away. A win at a traditionally tough venue (for us) should be a weight off the shoulders. Similarly, our 95th minute goal on Saturday showed the team that it's not just our opponents who can score at the death. That was our first late important goal since the last game of last season (also a Clark header). 

Pars have not had the backlog of games like the teams around us and have an early season freshness about us. Cardle coming back from injury, hopefully big Beadling coming back, Andy Ryan breaking in to the team, good options/cover in all positions. Concede few goals and if we can catch tiring defenders on the break on the long East End pitch then Cardle in particular could do some damage. We had to really scrap for a 2-2 draw last time out at home to Dumbarton though so it's far from a formality. 

Not sure it really matters tbh, we lost all our pre season games but started the season well once it was for real, same thing will prob be the case in the play offs. Our players have already proven themselves to be mentally tough and bounce back from defeats too, we've not lost a back to back defeat for 2 seasons in league games. The players we played on Tues played really well too, it will have been good for them to get a full game under their belts before the play offs, and a couple of them will be in contention for a start too.

On 24/04/2018 at 15:25, LiviLion said:

Think that works out quite well for us tbh. Whoever gets to the final will have 6 days in between which should be plenty of time for professional footballers to be ready to go again. Whoever gets through the QF though will be playing their 3rd game in 6 days against Livi.

The pressure in these games is massive both mentally and physically, the semi final especially.

The best result will be if the 2nd bottom position in the top league goes to the wire, if not the team in 2nd bottom will be resting players leading up to the games when the championship team will be mentally and physically drained going into it.

The English national league has changed their play off format, the top team like ours have only one automatic promotion and play offs are between 2 -7th. 2nd and 3rd are automatically in the semi final 4th plays 7th, 5th plays 6th over one leg in which 4th and 5th are at home, the semi final takes same format in 2nd and 3rd are at home against winners of the 4th v 7th and 5th v 6th over one leg and then the one of final at Wembley. 

They have obviously seen playing x amount of games in a short period of time is just crazy, 6 games in 19 days when some clubs will be playing catch up in the weeks leading to the play offs could see them play a quarter of a season in a month

Archived