The Exciting Race for the Premiership Playoffs

Playoff poll  

155 members have voted

1. 1. Which team will be playing in the final in May?

2. 2. Will the Championship team win the final?

This poll is closed to new votes

• Please sign in or register to vote in this poll.
  • Poll closed on 31/03/18 at 14:00

5 minutes ago, Demented Zebra said:

Out of all the play off teams Livingston are the best though they can now take their foot off the gas a wee bit now and prepare for the play off. 

They still have to secure 2nd place. If they lose on Saturday and United beat Dumbarton we are 3 points behind with a game in hand. I don't think Livi will be taking their foot off the gas.

• Replies 419
  • Created
  • Last Reply
28 minutes ago, Colkitto said:

Livi will almost certainly be in the playoff's.

I don't think Queens will make it. So realistically the remaining 2 spots will be filled by Dun Utd, Pars or Morton. 

Pars seem to have found a bit of form at the right time. Will be interesting to see if they can keep it going.

Utd are still to hit top form. But you would imagine they would have enough quality in their squad to grab one of those places.

Morton have gone off the boil a bit. Lets see if the players are up for it and if Duffy can get them going again.

Hard to predict how this will all pan out at the moment.  

We need to win our three home games to be in with a chance. Anything less and we are screwed. Taking something from our two away games would be a bonus, but can’t see that happening.

26 minutes ago, Demented Zebra said:

Out of all the play off teams Livingston are the best though they can now take their foot off the gas a wee bit now and prepare for the play off. 

Absolutely not. Big advantage to avoid playing in the 3rd v 4th place tie.

Big weekend coming up with Livingston v Morton. And two tricky ties away ties for Dundee Utd and Dunfermline. Could all look a little different after Saturday.

Not including ICT in this poll is going to make the OP look pretty foolish I reckon* 8)

Spoiler

* It probably isn't but it's nice to dream.

9 minutes ago, RiG said:

Not including ICT in this poll is going to make the OP look pretty foolish I reckon* 8)

Reveal hidden contents

It's pretty outrageous to be thinking about the play offs but if we can get a win on Saturday and with 3 of the next 4 afterwards at home I reckon we could be in the mix considering our current form.

13 minutes ago, RiG said:

Reveal hidden contents

I know you jest but it's not happening just due to the fact that there's too many teams would need to collapse, and then say Morton play United or Dunfermline, both obviously can't lose. 

ICT's fucking wind up of a start to the campaign killed their chances of promotion stone dead months ago.

We're now at the point where we can't afford a slip up. We're going to need at least nine points from the last five games and even that might not be enough, meaning we'd be looking at needing a result from games at Livingston and St Mirren. Considering that Hopkin has had Duffy on toast all season and St Mirren have been in ridiculous form since we last played, that's not a good position to be in at all.

When you look at where we were at the end of February it's piss poor, but this kind of fuckery is inevitable with Duffy. Going into the game at home to Livingston we were six points clear of Dunfermline having played the same number of games, but Duffy effectively forfeited that game by putting out a ridiculous starting eleven in the name of resting players for the Celtic game, which realistically we were always going to lose. That defeat killed our momentum and we've now only won one of our last six, which was against Brechin, with most of those games seeing Duffy refuse to revert to the system which had been successful throughout February.

We've looked like we've fucked it coming to the end of a season before under Duffy - the League One season saw us four points behind in third with four games to go then winning them all to secure the title - so we've got some hope he can instil the mentality in the players needed to grind out the results to make it, but if we're going to go from one win in six to at least three in five the tinkering needs to stop now. Get the best team on the pitch every game, stop messing about with 4-3-3 and most of all stop shoehorning John fucking Baird into the team.

TBH I’d rather be in this position compared to 12 months ago. Last season we were guaranteed a playoff place with ten games to go and took our foot off the pedal big time and didn’t win again for the rest of the season. Now we have to fight to finish in the top four, which means if we do get into the playoffs we will (hopefully) have a bit of fighting spirit in the team.

57 minutes ago, IainMorton said:

TBH I’d rather be in this position compared to 12 months ago. Last season we were guaranteed a playoff place with ten games to go and took our foot off the pedal big time and didn’t win again for the rest of the season. Now we have to fight to finish in the top four, which means if we do get into the playoffs we will (hopefully) have a bit of fighting spirit in the team.

That's all well and good if you do end up in the top four. An absolute bottle job if you finish 5th though.

Dunfermline are a strange team.
Looked strong first couple of times we played them then looked on a downwards spiral when we beat them a couple of weeks ago. Now, seemingly on the up again.
If they keep up the momentum that's the team I'd fear if I was anyone else.

We got beat a couple of weeks ago? 《Checks form guide》

Nope, didn't think so.

1 hour ago, ShaggysBeard said:

It's an under pressure Dundee Utd who have won 2 of the last 11. I wouldn't be overly confident of an away win.

We haven't scored a goal against a full time team since December and have conceded 10 goals in our last 3 games. United will need to completely shit the bed if they're to walk away from Saturday with anything less than 3 points and the Arabs will firmly be on my coupon on Saturday.

38 minutes ago, The Moonster said:

We haven't scored a goal against a full time team since December and have conceded 10 goals in our last 3 games. United will need to completely shit the bed if they're to walk away from Saturday with anything less than 3 points and the Arabs will firmly be on my coupon on Saturday.

0-0 all over it :thumsup2

With United and Morton having games in hand between them, I think this coming weekend might make or break our chances.
Win and we'll reach the play offs.
Lose and we've fucked it.
Draw and we've probably fucked it.

3 hours ago, IainMorton said:

We need to win our three home games to be in with a chance. Anything less and we are screwed. Taking something from our two away games would be a bonus, but can’t see that happening.

We've already taken points in our previous visits to Livingston and the spoon-burners this season; I'd expect us to pick up more points as our away results are not the problem. 

Winning the three home games is a much bigger challenge for us. The best chance that we have of that happening is for Queen of the South and Inverness' seasons to be essentially over by the time that they visit Cappielow. If you can't beat three teams with nothing to play for (as Dumbarton seem to have settled for 9th months ago) at home then you have absolutely no business being in the play-offs. 

On 04/04/2018 at 10:00, RiG said:

Reveal hidden contents

Looking likely. Between ICT and Morton for last playoff spot.

Dumbarton take something from Morton on Tuesday and that's Livi's spot confirmed. 

St Mirren winning the title at Tannadice then taking their foot off the gas when we play next weekend could go a long way to us getting 2nd too.

I think we can go there and win (as we have already) but I wouldn't expect St. Mirren to give us an easy game regardless of the result. It's either another second chance to clinch it or the first time to celebrate in front of the fans who don't make it to Dundee.

Max points

Livi - 70

Dundee United - 64

Dunfermline - 61

Morton - 59

Inverness - 59

Falkirk - 53

Queen of the South - 52

Archived