Stenny vs Elgin

So do we after two back to back defeats and with both teams having had the dubious honour of getting beat by the Blue Brazil in the last seven days, it will be interesting to see which team best reacts to the shame:wacko:

The good news for  Elgin is that Shane Sutherland is back and scored a superb goal last Saturday when he came on but others in the team also need to step up to the plate and start putting in a shift.It is clearly evident that we lack quality in many positions in the team and last Saturday's display was nothing short of a disgrace(I have never heard an Elgin team get booed off at half time before like that and fans refusing to applaud them at the end of the match), reminiscent of the disastrous display against Edinburgh two weeks before.We need to start converting chances into goals and despite having most of the possession in the midweek game against the Binos(BBC Stats), it was  the same old story of missed opportunities. As most of the team come from the central belt, the old chestnut of"we do not travel well" is a pathetic excuse and patience is wearing thin amongst the few travelling fans.

As it's a nice sunny day and with nothing better to do I am travelling through  from Edinburgh more in hope that expectation and I fully expect a Stenny side who will  also have had an ear splitting roasting post match on Tuesday, to  get the 3 points to maintain their top 4 slot.

Well, we miss Paton today which is obviously a problem. In 3 out of the last 4 games I’ve seen, the opposition have had nine players booked for fouls on him, yet ironically, today it is him who misses out due to suspension. Clyde were the paragons of virtue who escaped without a booking, but maybe more to do with Kevin Nicol not being in their starting line up that day than anything else.

We need to win today as we are looking a little shaky at the moment. No criticism of the young keeper but it is since Chris Smith became unavailable that we have looked less than convincing.

Nice day for it.

Can’t see us getting anything. Some players seem to have chucked it. Think we are clutching at straws getting excited about Sutherland return. He is miles away from full fitness but it is good to see him back. Might not be risked today on plastic pitch?

6 minutes ago, adventpc said:

:thumbsdownanother loss for "the warriors."

points are precious if they wish to remain in the play offs.:shutup

Today was utter shite - it is now becoming obvious that the management and team have no drive or desire to progress the club further.  Our only tactic is a long ball, sorry in the words of the manager " a long pass" and when that does not work we are clueless.  We are also carrying too many passengers at the moment and again there is either nothing on the bench or no need to substitute until after the 60 minute mark and obviously only after they have read the manual. 

McMenamen, hardly the answer to our problems,  is stripped and ready to come on and before he does we lose another goal and he is still not brought on for several minutes. Go figure.

Cannot wait for this week's post mtch interview - no doubt it will be spun that the players showed great passion and desire and commitment and only a lack on game management prevented the victory. 

CEMSFC instead of stating "you must be disappointed" ask him why our form has gone and what he is going to do to get us back on the rails.  Four away games coming up and on recent form we will be out of the play off spots by that time .

7 minutes ago, Moonglum25 said:

Today was utter shite - it is now becoming obvious that the management and team have no drive or desire to progress the club further.  Our only tactic is a long ball, sorry in the words of the manager " a long pass" and when that does not work we are clueless.  We are also carrying too many passengers at the moment and again there is either nothing on the bench or no need to substitute until after the 60 minute mark and obviously only after they have read the manual. 

McMenamen, hardly the answer to our problems,  is stripped and ready to come on and before he does we lose another goal and he is still not brought on for several minutes. Go figure.

Cannot wait for this week's post mtch interview - no doubt it will be spun that the players showed great passion and desire and commitment and only a lack on game management prevented the victory. 

CEMSFC instead of stating "you must be disappointed" ask him why our form has gone and what he is going to do to get us back on the rails.  Four away games coming up and on recent form we will be out of the play off spots by that time .

;)have to agree 100%

not only that..if elgin beat berwick away from home on tuesday and clyde beat cowdenbeath....stenny cud be sitting 6th.

absolutely astonished as well as delighted Elgin not only scored twice but actually won today. After Tuesday night I had given up all hopes of the playoffs but maybe not all is lost. though to be honest I would not be surprised If Clyde sneak in now.

49 minutes ago, afca32 said:

Pleasant surprise but don't think it'll be enough for the play offs. We might catch Stenny but Clyde are the form team. Who knows though, this league can be funny.

Football is a funny old game right enough. Stenny took 9 points off Peterhead this season and were worthy winners at Balmoor in our recent meeting playing some of the best attacking football by any visiting team. How can they do this against us but seem to play well below par against every other team? Genuine question.

Like most city supporters who had to endure last week's woeful performance this was a complete turnaround and  we completely nullified Stenny with excellent defending and taking our two chances well. The first goal was worked up the left with a good interchange of passing and  with Cameron passing the ball to Mcleish for him to slot the ball into the net and the second came from a corner with the Stenny defence posted missing and which found McHardy at the far post to nod the ball home.

I thought Stenny played well below par today with passes going astray and  very little in real direct chances and those they did have, usually went sailing over the bar. Apart from the first 10-15 minutes of the second half, I thought that the City controlled the game and were always a threat going forward.A lot of the credit must go to the Elgin midfield who pressed high and got stuck in about them, unlike last week when we sat back and let Cowdenbeath dictate the game and also the defence who snuffed out most of the one directional Stenny forward play-long balls as mentioned by the home fans above. 

My MOTM was McDonald who had the best game that I have seen him play in since he came to ECFC.

We need to continue with the same game plan against Berwick on Tuesday and get the 3 points as I agree with those posters that Clyde are on a roll and have every chance of taking one of the top 4 places. Stenny have four away games to play on the bounce and if they play like today they might struggle to get points on the board.

I went to this today. Thoroughly enjoyed it. Felt Elgin deserved it; the second goal, which was actually well against the run of play, crushed the home side.

Very impressed by the young fella behind the goal with a megaphone; utterly unintelligible which, combined with the less than syncopated drumming, seemed like a Mark E Smith tribute act, albeit in an embryonic state. 

Yesterday's performance and outcome was troubling and now I'm really worried we're going to drop out of the play-offs. A couple of weeks ago I had a nagging suspicion we were struggling but that was dire stuff for the second game running. It was probably worse than the Cowden match - while the team were crap on Tuesday night, they at least saw a lot of the ball and did their best to get back into the match; here, Elgin City ran over the top of them. Other than a couple of shots that were cleared off the line in the second half, Stenhousemuir offered nothing and it was a comfortable afternoon's work for one of the worst travellers in the division.

It was brutal stuff to watch. The game plan amounted to nothing more than playing balls over the top of Mark McGuigan to run onto but the tactic didn't work once. The passes were either too long or McGuigan was well marshalled by Daryl McHardy. The suspended Harry Paton might have made a difference but, even then, I doubt we would have had the wherewithal to do something different. With Alan Cook out of form and Eddie Ferns drifting in and out of the game, we didn't have any width and there was an onus on McGuigan to make something out of nothing.

While Elgin's opening goal was a well-worked move with a nice finish, I doubt they will score an easier goal than their second - McHardy didn't even have to move to head home a corner kick from six yards out. Horrible stuff from the Warriors. The afternoon was compounded when David Marsh, brought into the team for some reason, was sent off for collecting two bookings. We had no chance of getting back into it after that. Elgin could have extended their lead further when Shane Sutherland whacked the crossbar with a long-range shot but the rest of the game played out exclusively on their terms.

Our next four fixtures - Cowdenbeath, Berwick Rangers, Edinburgh City, Berwick again, all away from home - look like fairly straightforward assignments on paper but after the last two results, even these games will be testing. A couple of weeks ago I would have been confident of taking maximum points from these matches but not now. There's still a long way to go and we're still in a decent position but it's been a pretty crappy season, all in - we're miles away from challenging for the title and now we're looking over our shoulders at Clyde beneath us. I love Bomber to pieces but I don't think he's getting the best out of this group of players. I don't think he knows what his best XI is and his changes seem to come too late into the game to make a difference. Christ.

First game I've been at in a while, even when we are winning I find it eye gouging to watch. Yesterday was not an advert for going back anytime soon - an absolute disgrace.

The manager, first and foremost, is held accountable for that. I'm not saying it would have made us play football any better but splitting up the Dunlops and dropping Meechan to me is the sign of marbles lost. You have weakened yourself in two positions from the start what the f**k is that all about?

Paterson and Ferry as a midfield two was another head scratcher. I like Ferry and good, bad or indifferent as a team you get a shift but you can't have an equally immobile guy next to him surely.  

That second goal is one of the most embarrassing goals I have seen us ever concede and summed us up to be honest. Pathetic. Absolutely pathetic. First time I have seen the keeper and he is a worry. Not one facet of his game makes me comfortable.

Launch. Launch. Launch. I feel sorry for Guigsy he put in some shift but that is not the 'service' he needs. Why do we play like that? 

We will finish outside the play offs I have zero doubt about that. Clyde 4th and Elgin 5th leaving us 6th in an absolute shambles of a season.

Archived