Hungary vs Scotland Tues 27th March

Gordopolis

Are we going to persist with the 5-3-2? I dont think it gets the best out of the players. My thought is that McLeish is doing it so he can shoehorn tierney into the left centre back position.

• Replies 585
  • Created
  • Last Reply

I was happy enough with that, although I'm not convinced that Forrest will work up top as, other than the goal, he struggled to add much to McGregor and Phillips' interchanges. As has been highlighted, he was at his best when drifting wide and darting inside which lessens Fraser's impact. If Fraser can begin to get comfortable underlapping, it could work. Forrest at wing-back should also be tested. 

That was pretty close to what I expect the first XI to be going forward. We're still without some past regulars - Griffiths, Tierney, McArthur, Morrison, Gordon, Fletcher - but I can only see two or three of them coming back in. Last night's midfield could find itself a bit exposed against better teams which could mean that some of those just mentioned and McTominay come back in shore things up. 

11 hours ago, John Lambies Doos said:

Watching Spain v Argentina just shows how miles away we really are

Attitudes like this annoy me......does it matter? This British, the English are bad for it too, obsession with comparing with others and being envious of others is so outdated and needs to stop....So what if Spain and Argentina are better, they are clearly better than many nations don't see any of them losing sleep over it. We got a decent win last night with some positives for moving forward, lets focus on ourselves instead of worrying about what the likes of Spain are up to

All in all it was a much more positive display. I think he stuck with McGregor because it's likely it will be between him and Gordon to start this campaign. Even if the two of them were injured I reckon he would go with Marshall before the other two.

Hendry and McKenna were excellent and really showed up how Charlie Mulgrew is heading backwards now. Mulgrew is fine in a 3 with no pressure on him and he can spread passes but after the forwards got no joy from McKenna and Hendry they played on Mulgrew and started getting some joy after we went 1-0 up.

Armstrong and McGinn were also very good and hopefully will only get better. Armstrong has been out injured for a while now and still strolled it. Fraser was a very good option on the right wing against a team we have more of the ball against. Paterson maybe suited in that role if were having to defend a bit more.

Phillips done fine but clearly Griffiths will play up there in future.

Anyway not getting carried away by any means and overall it was a nothing more than a decent performance. The real positives are we may have found a couple of centre halves.  Hungary I believe were the highest rank team in our division of the nations league so if that is the standard then there is absolutely no reason why we shouldn't be winning our group.

I thought the game was fine, nothing to set the heather on fire, but enough to find a bit of optimism in the overall quality of the pool of players.

For me over the Costa Rica & Hungary games -

McBurnie could be a decent foil for griffiths in games we are bold enough to go 2 upfront, options outside of that are still a little thin, and phillips up top for me doesnt work

CB position looks promising, with Mckenna, & Hendry both playing well. Berra, Soutar, and Lindsay not even in the squad, and McCrorie if he can kick on with Gers next year. Time could be up for Mulgrew & Martin

McGinn looks like he could do well at international level & Mcgregor provides good movement and energy. McTominay for me isnt ready, but fair play to Eck getting him capped and involved early. Played okay against Costa Rica, but can see him being a championship player next year (which i think will help his development significantly) a bit of the Oli Burke-esque PR machine has maybe unfairly raised the expectation a bit too high

I dont think Robertson would suit playing left mid. I think the needs a left mid to open the space for him to bomb into, or to exchange give and gos with. When you watch him go one-on-one against someone he doesnt have the bit of trickery to take someone on (not a criticism just an observation) but his crossing is very good. For me coming in on the overlap suits his game better, so likely Tierney will either be RB or shoehorned into CB

11 hours ago, BucksburnDandy said:

While Phillips did well tonight, he's not a natural striker. Perhaps dropping Forrest for Griffiths and having Phillips doing the work around him pulling wide would work well. What I will say is Phillips showed a work rate and quality I haven't seen from him in a Scotland shirt before.

Overall a good bit more encouragement than Friday, a step towards a starting team. Importantly plenty of youth there and also a good mix of home based and Anglo based players. Not the finished article but a good bit closer to it.

I agree that we've taken a decent step towards finding the first choice team. If we're generally going to be playing 3-5-1-1 with one off Griffiths to ensure he doesn't get isolated, then in another of the friendlies I'd like to see Forrest and Fraser switched round.

We know Forrest has been excellent at wing back for his club and would probably offer more defensively than Fraser, while Forrest offered little in that attacking role last night and Fraser might cope better with it. If that works it means we've got two options at right wing back ahead of Paterson who's not great there and gives us some real options for the player up with Griffiths. You've got the natural wide players who McLeish has tried already in Phillips, Forrest and possibly Fraser, moving McGregor or Armstrong forward into that role with two of McGinn/McTominay/McArthur in the middle with the other, if none of those options suit for whatever reason there's also Snodgrass, players I'd really rather never see again like Ritchie, and if he one day develops, Burke.

It's early days and getting carried away with a win over Hungary would be as ridiculous as calling for McLeish to go for a defeat to Costa Rica, but there are encouraging signs.

Attitudes like this annoy me......does it matter? This British, the English are bad for it too, obsession with comparing with others and being envious of others is so outdated and needs to stop....So what if Spain and Argentina are better, they are clearly better than many nations don't see any of them losing sleep over it. We got a decent win last night with some positives for moving forward, lets focus on ourselves instead of worrying about what the likes of Spain are up to
Really, let's say Uruguay were playing... WC semi finalists, techically superb.. population 3million. Football is our national sport by far unlike, say Ireland who have GAA and Rugby nationwide, yet they have qualified for 3 tournaments since us..
Yet, we have had 20+years of failure and the fat cats in the SFA driven by the OF media driven culture have done f**k all except fail. Accepted by our fans.
That's what really annoys me........

Can't really expect much more out of a friendly than what we got last night. Really hope McLeish can do something with this group. Good interview from him..

https://www.thescottishsun.co.uk/sport/football/2424979/scotland-alex-mcleish-belief-soar-hungary/ 

It's why I was happy to see him get the job. He talks about empowering the players and giving them confidence. He exudes calmness and confidence when what Scotland has lacked for so long is a manager with absolute belief in his players. 

1 hour ago, John Lambies Doos said:

Really, let's say Uruguay were playing... WC semi finalists, techically superb.. population 3million. Football is our national sport by far unlike, say Ireland who have GAA and Rugby nationwide, yet they have qualified for 3 tournaments since us..
Yet, we have had 20+years of failure and the fat cats in the SFA driven by the OF media driven culture have done f**k all except fail. Accepted by our fans.
That's what really annoys me........

I agree with you in theory but Ireland's best players play in England and get better coaching hence they're more successful.  I've only ever been to Scotland footy games for a wee night out and the social occasion but if you take it seriously then look to Ireland's model to see what they're doing right.

A win's a win but can't look too much into Hungarian opposition who have bean beaten by Andorra and Luxembourg within the past year.

Thu 08/10/15 ECQ Scotland 2 - 2 Poland View events More info
Sun 11/10/15 ECQ Gibraltar 0 - 6 Scotland View events More info
Thu 24/03/16 FRI Czech Republic 0 - 1 Scotland View events More info
Tue 29/03/16 FRI Scotland 1 - 0 Denmark View events More info
Sun 29/05/16 FRI Italy 1 - 0 Scotland View events More info
Sat 04/06/16 FRI France 3 - 0 Scotland View events More info
Sun 04/09/16 WQE Malta 1 - 5 Scotland View events More info
Sat 08/10/16 WQE Scotland 1 - 1 Lithuania View events More info
Tue 11/10/16 WQE Slovakia 3 - 0 Scotland View events More info
Fri 11/11/16 WQE England 3 - 0 Scotland View events More info
Wed 22/03/17 FRI Scotland 1 - 1 Canada View events More info
Sun 26/03/17 WQE Scotland 1 - 0 Slovenia View events More info
Sat 10/06/17 WQE Scotland 2 - 2 England View events More info
Fri 01/09/17 WQE Lithuania 0 - 3 Scotland View events More info
Mon 04/09/17 WQE Scotland 2 - 0 Malta View events More info
Thu 05/10/17 WQE Scotland 1 - 0 Slovakia View events More info
Sun 08/10/17 WQE Slovenia 2 - 2 Scotland View events More info
Thu 09/11/17 FRI Scotland 0 - 1 Netherlands View events More info
Fri 23/03/18 FRI Scotland 0 - 1 Costa Rica View events More info
Tue 27/03/18 FRI Hungary 0 - 1

scotland                          

Here is a list of the last 20 internationals Scotland have played,we have only lost 2 competitive games out of 20 the other 4 were in friendlies.
I have no problem getting beat by Italy,France or the Netherlands.
For me Scotland have the players to qualify for a major tournament. 

14 hours ago, 1320Lichtie said:

Hendry looks like he’s got real potential after that. Same goes for McKenna. Surely the 2 of them will only get better too. Both very physical and tall although McKenna more robust and Hendry more pacey. But chuffed for the both of them. McGregor and Armstrong need to play every single game for us there our best footballers. Fraser over Patterson down the right hand side every time too.

Marshall

Hendry
McKenna/Berra/Mulgrew
Tierney/McKenna

Fraser
Robertson

McTominay
McGregor
Armstrong

Phillips/Patterson maybe also option here?
Griffiths

Think Paterson playing off Griffith's is a really good shout. That there is our best team and looks pretty fkn handy.

26 minutes ago, Stellaboz said:

I had a huge problem not beating Lithuania at home

We only had 1 player in the starting 11 that plied his trade in Scotland in that game for me the up turn in Scotland's results comes from Scottish based players with some fairy dust from the Anglo-Scots.

15 hours ago, 1320Lichtie said:

Hendry looks like he’s got real potential after that. Same goes for McKenna. Surely the 2 of them will only get better too. Both very physical and tall although McKenna more robust and Hendry more pacey. But chuffed for the both of them. McGregor and Armstrong need to play every single game for us there our best footballers. Fraser over Patterson down the right hand side every time too.

Marshall

Hendry
McKenna/Berra/Mulgrew
Tierney/McKenna

Fraser
Robertson

McTominay
McGregor
Armstrong

Phillips/Patterson maybe also option here?
Griffiths

Wouldn't stray too far from this

McGregor

Fraser Hendry McKenna Tierney Robertson

McGregor McTominay Armstrong

Snodgrass

Griffiths

19 minutes ago, Peppino Impastato said:

Think Paterson playing off Griffith's is a really good shout. That there is our best team and looks pretty fkn handy.

1 minute ago, Marshmallo said:

McGregor

Snodgrass

Griffiths

I would like to see Gauld giving a chance to play off the striker in the next friendly matches to see if he is good enough.

19 minutes ago, Marshmallo said:

McGregor

Snodgrass

Griffiths

Teams looks good, but not sure Snodgrass has the mobility to link up well enough? I'd go for Phillips or Fraser in there for real pace and power, or maybe Burke if he can find his feet.

37 minutes ago, wastecoatwilly said:

I would like to see Gauld giving a chance to play off the striker in the next friendly matches to see if he is good enough.

I don't think he's close to that yet. Needs to make a bit of progress in club football first, but certainly has the ability.

44 minutes ago, Lurkst said:

I'd have last night's midfield 3 starting every time if possible. McTominay can step in when McGinn gets suspended  (likely to happen regularly).

McGinn is the second best midfielder at Hibs. McTominay is starting for Man Utd in the Champions League.

Archived