There’s something about LinkedIn which  really creeps me out. It really makes me uncomfortable that people can be that into bigging-up some company they work for.  

If it was their own business I could possibly see the point, but when you’re essentially just a fucking minion, the fact that you’ve been brainwashed disturbes me.

I feel like that c**t in The Bodysnatchers film when I see people I know posting stuff about how great their company is or some new contract their company has won or completed.

Gives me the fear. I only go on there occasionally  to investigate potential escape plans from my current employer or to stalk honeytrap recruitment types, of which there are many.

what are your thoughts on this sinister form of social media?

• Replies 61
  • Created
  • Last Reply
51 minutes ago, Scary Bear said:

There’s something about LinkedIn which  really creeps me out. It really makes me uncomfortable that people can be that into bigging-up some company they work for.  

If it was their own business I could possibly see the point, but when you’re essentially just a fucking minion, the fact that you’ve been brainwashed disturbes me.

I feel like that c**t in The Bodysnatchers film when I see people I know posting stuff about how great their company is or some new contract their company has won or completed.

Gives me the fear. I only go on there occasionally  to investigate potential escape plans from my current employer or to stalk honeytrap recruitment types, of which there are many.

what are your thoughts on this sinister form of social media?

Maybe they just love their job?   Also, not many people are going to post anything particularly negative on LinkedIn in case it harms their career.

19 minutes ago, hk blues said:

Maybe they just love their job?   Also, not many people are going to post anything particularly negative on LinkedIn in case it harms their career.

Maybe they do. I just find it all a bit...icky.

I’m on it and it’s been helpful in getting my last 2 jobs, but some of the posts are beyond cringeworthy. The self congratulatory posts like “a guy was half an hour late for a job interview, but came in soaking wet cos his car broke down and he ran to the interview in the rain, so I gave him the job” and other didn’t happen tripe are becoming more prevalent than actual work related stuff.

Guest bernardblack

Congratulations on your work anniversary.

Something that would never ever be said face to face.

I work in sales so LinkedIn is useful, but the amount of fake/motivational stuff on there is tragic

5 hours ago, Shandon Par said:

I look on there maybe once every couple of years. Always amuses me to see people I know are debauched ne’er dae weels in a suit pretending to be some serious professional. 

^^^ This, but specifically directed at students who like to make out they're wonderfully experienced in their field of choice rather than the rugby club hoodie wearing bell end that they really are.   Bonus **** points for any crossing of the arms. 

The idea is that if you know somebody who knows somebody who knows somebody who knows somebody then maybe that might be useful work-wise.

Right.  So if I now have a link with a plumber in Ulaanbaatar, Mongolia, how exactly is that going to be useful?

I use it fairly often, purely for agencies to contact me about contracts, otherwise, there's some amount of motivational nonsense posted by people.

I do feel for the people who post 'interested' under any job posting. No matter what they do.

Archived