Ayr United vs Queens Park

• Replies 89
  • Created
  • Last Reply
His son is a dick.
Tried to get McDaid to retaliate near the end when he nutted / wee boy bumped into him.

McDaid spent the game acting the p***k, continually throwing himself to the ground. In more enlightened times, he would have been given a slap for his cheating.

3 minutes ago, Hampden Diehard said:
22 minutes ago, Pick that one out Marshall said:
His son is a dick.
Tried to get McDaid to retaliate near the end when he nutted / wee boy bumped into him.

McDaid spent the game acting the p***k, continually throwing himself to the ground. In more enlightened times, he would have been given a slap for his cheating.

I can't disagree with that statement, he did go down very easily at times screaming when he had just received a slight touch, however he did also get clattered a few times and the really shocking thing was that the Ref booked him for a slight nudge just after he had been scythed down twice in 5 mins without any punishment for the QP players. But Yes, he probably didn't do himself any favours with the playacting side of things and obviously just annoyed the Ref. The sad part is that he had a good game and really doesn't need to be doing all the dying swan stuff as he'll end up with a reputation.

Don't you just love us hard to please Ayr fans though ? A convincing 4-0 win and yet half of the North Terracing were making comments such as "This is murder Ayr", "That was terrible", "We were shocking today", "Queens Park were by far the better team", "Get a grip McCall" etc, etc.

Ok, we weren't at our best, but we've just won 4-0 and quite obviously took our foot of the gas in the 2nd half, but, I suppose you just can't please some people and it appears that Saturday isn't Saturday without a right good moan coupled with some extreme negativity, honestly......................

Half of the North Terrace? Really? I was standing there and didn't hear any of that, didn't hear much of anything really, but then I always seem to have a knack for missing this kind of stuff. Must just be my luck.

5 minutes ago, UpInTheAyr said:

Half of the North Terrace? Really? I was standing there and didn't hear any of that, didn't hear much of anything really, but then I always seem to have a knack for missing this kind of stuff. Must just be my luck.

In fairness I am prone to exaggeration, however there were quite a few comments. Having said that it's nothing new, I remember Chris Aitken was still getting the blame for a poor performance from a certain individual about 2 years after he left the club !!

It always comes down to a handful, at most, jobbies that every club has who behaves this way. That they are given so much attention when they make up about 1%, prob less,  of the support hardly makes them reflective of the crowd in general.

8 minutes ago, WATTOO said:

In fairness I am prone to exaggeration, however there were quite a few comments. Having said that it's nothing new, I remember Chris Aitken was still getting the blame for a poor performance from a certain individual about 2 years after he left the club !!

Do you actually think our performance was exciting?

McCall doesn't help himself at times, listen to him describing our defensive frailties on Tuesday as just 2 errors, that wasn't the defence I watched, we were in full on panic mode for a fair chunk of the 2nd half.

1 hour ago, ayrmad said:

Do you actually think our performance was exciting?

McCall doesn't help himself at times, listen to him describing our defensive frailties on Tuesday as just 2 errors, that wasn't the defence I watched, we were in full on panic mode for a fair chunk of the 2nd half.

I don't actually find many football matches "exciting" nowadays due to the way the game has evolved at all levels. There were moments of "excitement" / "brilliance" such as Shanklands 3rd goal and even his first 2 were pretty decent along with the link up play, however I do appreciate what you're saying, as personally I'd love to see rasping strikes at goal from 25 yards, curling drives from 20 yards and wingers skipping past challenge after challenge, I'd also like to see some hard but fair tackling, sadly however I think these days are gone unless there's a drastic change in both our coaching outlooks and also how our game is governed..............

As a North Terrace regular,  I could take exception to some of the suggested negativity but I don't in all honesty think it's all that bad. We are Ayr fans who probably don't sing a lot (unless we're at away games and in among the throng of all other Ayr fans).  As I said on an earlier thread, it's so much better at Somerset when there's a good turn out of away fans - so 'thanks', Queens for bringin the equivalent of "two men an' a dug" yesterday. 

I doubt you'll find any Ayr fans who wouldn't have taken a 4-0 win at the start of the game especially as QP gave us a real test the last time at Somerset. So that'll do nicely from my perspective and I give credit to the team and the coaching staff when it could have been very easy to underestimate 'top vs bottom'. God knows we've slipped on a few banana skin games over the years but this team seem to me to be that little bit more professional in their approach to each game.  But still, one game at a time and the remaining away fixtures at least are ones to keep our feet firmly on the ground.     

4 hours ago, Jazzar said:

As a North Terrace regular,  I could take exception to some of the suggested negativity but I don't in all honesty think it's all that bad. We are Ayr fans who probably don't sing a lot (unless we're at away games and in among the throng of all other Ayr fans).  As I said on an earlier thread, it's so much better at Somerset when there's a good turn out of away fans - so 'thanks', Queens for bringin the equivalent of "two men an' a dug" yesterday. 

To be fair to us, 100 is a decent support for a team bottom of the league with a core support of 450/500.

13 minutes ago, an86 said:

To be fair to us, 100 is a decent support for a team bottom of the league with a core support of 450/500.

Could hear your fans singing at the bowling club. Kudos for supporting your club and result apart hope you had a good day. 

Is your right back Andy Millen’s Son? 

Didn't manage to get to the game yesterday and just watched the highlights. Realistically is there any chance we can keep a hold of Shankland next season even if we go up?

Also McCall seems to have reached full Mourinho in his interviews recently!

7 hours ago, Jazzar said:

it's so much better at Somerset when there's a good turn out of away fans - so 'thanks', Queens for bringin the equivalent of "two men an' a dug" yesterday.

3 hours ago, an86 said:

3 hours ago, Sludden123 said:

I agree you guys had a lot more fans than I expected. 

3 hours ago, Waniche said:

Could hear your fans singing at the bowling club. Kudos for supporting your club and result apart hope you had a good day.

2 hours ago, North Terrace Gazza said:

Tbf all things considered the QP support was pretty decent and supported their team throughout. Probably the best away support we've had except for Raith & Airdrie.

gone awffie quiet Jazzar...........hope ye havenae choked on that humble pie ye got fae yer dinner - should've gone to Specsavers ya daft tattie-howker :lol:

I was pleased Gus made the change he did at half-time. Fair to say if it wasn't for injury problems Magee wouldn't have started but giving him the role of man-marking Shankland  - it must be easier herding cats - was way too much of a task. The only player who could have done better was Gibson but he was in the wrong position. We looked much better in the second and that's something to build on for next week. Up front; lacklustre yes but again we played the swinging cross ball from 20 metres back, from both sides of the pitch, in the hope that a defence who were bigger and stronger than our forwards would somehow  capitulate or make mistakes like we do. Never gonna happen guys. Donnelly's introduction was to perhaps work the channels better but he only works with the ball at his feet, not in the air. Try hitting the byline next week Gus.

Can't deny Shankland's heroics but the Ayr defence is pretty solid and built around the no 5 who is not only a thundering defender but can play a mean long pass too. Well deserved win, end of. As sore as it was maybe the reality check was what was needed before games that we should have a better chance of getting points from. 

Disappointing to hear a few QP 'fans' shouting dog's abuse at some players.  Fortunately the vast majority stayed and applauded them off the park, as always. We are part-time amateurs trying to match up to full-time professionals. Nobody comes along to play pish, it just happens sometimes. They need all the encouragement we can offer right now.

Archived