Your Top Five Seasons

10 minutes ago, Dindeleux said:

It also includes the word “title” 3 times which indicates you were playing in the Championship so nothing like identical to what Killie have managed over a similar time period.

Nice try though.

Weirdly, though, our title seasons are more fun than the ones where shat around being mediocre in the top flight. I'd suggest you give it a go, but we all know the club wouldn't survive the drop. Dat financial knife edge. :(

• Replies 57
  • Created
  • Last Reply
2 hours ago, The Moonster said:

Fair point, aye. In the prime of our youth and travelling the length of the country was good fun, the football was absolutely honking though.  It was our bus convener who Gerry McCabe offered a square go in the car park :lol:

McCabe was an absolute fraud.

Slagging Andy Rogers at Montrose:thumsup2

14 minutes ago, weebud said:

Pretty vague alright.......that game was at Kilbowie. There was a huge crowd right enough!!

Erm, following Saints has obviously affected my memory - I guess its just one big blur!

Should have just listed the seasons. :whistle Did I at least get them correct? :spud5

5 minutes ago, btb said:

Erm, following Saints has obviously affected my memory - I guess its just one big blur!

Should have just listed the seasons. :whistle Did I at least get them correct? :spud5

You did!! :thumsup2

25 minutes ago, Coventry Saint said:

Weirdly, though, our title seasons are more fun than the ones where shat around being mediocre in the top flight. I'd suggest you give it a go, but we all know the club wouldn't survive the drop. Dat financial knife edge. :(

Killie would probably have been relegated on their first season up had they not beaten an understrength Rangers team after they clinched the title!

Mind you given my recollection so far today all of this may have happened in an alternative universe.

Guest Flash
3 hours ago, Skyline Drifter said:

2008/09 could have been so special. Leaving Europe aside, that team should have been a genuine promotion contender. It topped the League for the first 3 months then went about three months without winning a game before bouncing back to finish well. Even just 4 or 5 wins in that long winless run would have had us fighting it out promotion to the death. Major injuries to Adams and O'Connor plus an inability to find a consistent keeper or right back killed us but that team had so much talent going forward.

The winless run started shortly after Rae refused Dundee permission to speak to Chisholm.  He had to wait until the following season before getting his dream move.

Dindeleux - what a needy, spamming joke of a boy.

Anyway:

1 - 93/94 by an absolute mile. Loved that team.

2 - 90/91 Sam/SS/DMcW et al

3 - 88/89 Duffy/goals galore

4 - 04/05 Latapy/Duffy smashing a'c**t.

5 - 94/95 just missed 3rd in league

The years we reached the SC final were ironically all grim league-wise, so a cup run here and there did not cover up a season of guff. 02/03 was good too with a bit of both.

12/13 Our great relegation escape

94/95 Promotion at Forthbank after we'd almost blown it. We played some great stuff that season like Brechin (6-0) and East Fife (4-0) back to back league victories. There was also a brilliant comeback against league leaders Berwick Rangers when we came from 2-0 down with about 15 minutes remaining to score an injury time winner under the floodlights.

91/92 The first league title of my lifetime. 

08/09 The second league title of my lifetime

11/12 We were close to the bottom of the league at New Year and then had a ten match unbeaten run (8 wins) through to March, then hit a wall but regained our swagger to win the play offs.

The last ten years have been nothing but success really for us. From the bottom end of League 2 to a sixth season in the Championship and now a cup final just two days away. I absolutely love supporting Dumbarton!!

1. 2013 Cup Win. (League season was forgettable really!)

2. 99/00 - Promotion Year

3. 17/18 - Some season so far

4. 11/12 - Teale, Thompson, Hasselbaink, McGowan all signed. It looked like we'd kick on with some great football, sadly side never fulfilled promise. 

5. 16/17 - Not enjoyable to go through but looking back fans will remember the relegation escape. 

8 hours ago, Skyline Drifter said:

Wouldn't argue too much with that. I'd definitely have 01/02 in my top five. You say 02/03 was the first time we won anything but we won the second division the year before and as it was our first set of winners medals since 1951 I'm certainly going to count it. Late season charge to the title after sitting about 3rd or 4th in January was terrific. I'd have that season above the one after for sure.

I remember 85/86 fondly too as my first season watching regularly. A season we won promotion and should have won the league only to blow up over the last 3 or 4 games and hand it to Dunfermline.

2008/09 could have been so special. Leaving Europe aside, that team should have been a genuine promotion contender. It topped the League for the first 3 months then went about three months without winning a game before bouncing back to finish well. Even just 4 or 5 wins in that long winless run would have had us fighting it out promotion to the death. Major injuries to Adams and O'Connor plus an inability to find a consistent keeper or right back killed us but that team had so much talent going forward.

Yes, for me 85/86, 01/02, 07/08 and 14/15.

The reasons for those seasons have already been given.

I'm struggling for a fifth.  I don't actually recall 12/13 that fondly.  The Challenge Cup was good, but the League was too easy and got dull.

O8/09 was as you say, frustrating, despite how good we were at times.  

I might just go with 81/82.  We weren't any good, but it was the first season I became a regular.

Weirdly, though, our title seasons are more fun than the ones where shat around being mediocre in the top flight. I'd suggest you give it a go, but we all know the club wouldn't survive the drop. Dat financial knife edge. [emoji20]

St Mirren fans have been talking about our impending financial doom for 10 years.

IMG_0775.jpg

2 hours ago, Monkey Tennis said:

Yes, for me 85/86, 01/02, 07/08 and 14/15.

The reasons for those seasons have already been given.

I'm struggling for a fifth.  I don't actually recall 12/13 that fondly.  The Challenge Cup was good, but the League was too easy and got dull.

O8/09 was as you say, frustrating, despite how good we were at times.  

I might just go with 81/82.  We weren't any good, but it was the first season I became a regular.

01/02 and  07/08 stand out. 08/09 is worth it for the trip to Copenhagen alone.

I'd probably go with 06/07 just for the Gretna needle even though I missed that game at Raydale and 02/03 for the novelty of the First Division after so long in the league below and the fact we established ourselves.

Apart from that I was too young for 85/86 only being taken to a few games with my dad (remember the Dunfermline game vividly).  As was said above, the year Dobbie went supernova was also enjoyable. I was also reminiscing about Connolly's first season in charge the other night, that was good due to the progress we seemed to be making for the first time.

86/87 was my second season of following the Saints. We could get results against any team in the Premier division at the time, beat Hearts in the Cup semi and then beat a Barcelona conquering Dundee United team in the final.

99/00 The Bubble didnae burst. We went from being relegation favourites to the highest scoring team in the country regularly winning by more than 3 or 4 goals. A team bolstered by a bunch of local boys who were fans of the club who brought pride back to supporting the Saints.

2005/6 challenge cup and championship (maybe still first Division) championship winners. This team/season gets talked down by a lot of Saints fans purely because of who the manager was. This was a good team with exciting players in it. Van Zanten, John Sutton, Broadfoot, Charlie Adam were all just making a name for themselves in the game.

2012/13 again a good squad of players. The "blend" of young and experienced pro's that seem to be the hallmark of all these teams. We had young guys like John McGinn, Kenny McLean, Graham Carey along with the God like Thommohawk, the determined Jim Goodwin and the flair/speed of Gary Teale. We were lucky with our loans of unknown players such as Dummett, Newton and the fantastic Isma (Hearts fand how you could chase this wonderful human being from Scotland is beyond me). Our route to that final was as difficult as you could get away to Aberdeen, Semi final against one of Celtics 10 in a row team and then Isma swording Hearts in the final (is that why they chased him).

2017/18 I know it's not over yet and could become the most embarrassing season ever but like 99/00 we have followed up a relegation battle with being fucking fantastic. The blend of young and experienced working for us again.

I realise this makes me look like a glory hunter but please believe me I have had to watch some pretty turgid football in certain years. On the other side of that we have had some glorious escapes from relegation which are up there with some of my favourite matches. Motherwell away 2006/7 Falkirk away (can't remember the years bit we had two great battles up there) and of course last seasons escape were all really exciting.

Archived