Scotland v Costa Rica 23rd March

• Replies 724
  • Created
  • Last Reply
1 hour ago, Dullard Bluteau said:

as for McTominay, Cairney and McBurnie.....

What about them?  Do you just not rate them?  Too one-dimensional?  Don't like blondes?

Oh...they're one of "those".  Another "I'm totally not xenophobic, I just don't like 'em" style post from wee Blutes.  Terrific.

Against my better judgement, it looks like I’m heading along to this. What’s the best advice in terms of train travel, and purchasing tickets at Hampden pre-game? Cheers in advance.

2 minutes ago, Afro said:

Against my better judgement, it looks like I’m heading along to this. What’s the best advice in terms of train travel, and purchasing tickets at Hampden pre-game? Cheers in advance.

Train to Mount Florida, tickets from the ticket office.

I think we should field a non-Scots born XI just to annoy the bigots.

Archer
Paterson Martin Cooper Tierney
Ritchie McTominay Morrison Cairney Phillips
McBurnie

Not a terrible side to be fair. I couldn’t even find a spot for Chris Martin or Steven Fletcher.

22 minutes ago, Paco said:

Archer
McBurnie

Not a terrible side to be fair. I couldn’t even find a spot for Chris Martin or Steven Fletcher.

Sssshhhh, don't mention that Tierney isn't Scots born, the silly c**t hasn't even worked that one out yet.

Archer

McBurnie

You know, that actually isn't too bad, quite well balanced side!!!

16 hours ago, John Lambies Doos said:

Time to start a thread. I think McLeish should cap some new players and play a very attacking team, I'd go 4 4 2.

Archer

Patterson McKenna Mulgrew Robertson

Forrest McGinn Armstrong Fraser

McBurnie Cummings

Not a game for McTominay to start but would cap him off bench if we are ahead and need to be more defensive minded.

4-4-2 isn't a very attacking formation for a start...

16 minutes ago, jagfox99 said:

4-4-2 isn't a very attacking formation for a start...

Wit dae ye mean?!  There's two strikers up front!  Two is bigger than one!  That's more attacking!  Fucking rabble!

2 minutes ago, forameus said:

Wit dae ye mean?!  There's two strikers up front!  Two is bigger than one!  That's more attacking!  Fucking rabble!

That's quite an attacking formation and team.  There's no defensive midfielder, two wingers and two strikers as well as two very attacking fullbacks.  It's how you might play against a poor team at home.

Formations aren't inherently attacking or inherently defensive, unless you're going all out.  4-6-0 for us in Prague was woeful, whereas the same formation with different principles has been successful elsewhere.  4-4-2 can be more attacking than 4-5-1, 4-2-3-1 etc, or it can not be.   Formation isn't what matters, beyond knowing that just throwing on two forwards is probably going to leave us very short in the midfield against most sides.

But by all means, if you're one of the "One up front at home against <INSERT DIDDY TEAM>?  That's a DISGRACE" brigade then have at it.

Archer
McBurnie

That team would beat a Scots born team.

That team would beat a Scots born team.

It’s an interesting concept. There’s a bigger pool to choose from, but here’s something in the same formation that would be close to a Scots-born XI:

Gordon
Anya Hanley Berra Robertson
Forrest McArthur Armstrong Fraser
Snodgrass
Griffiths

Versus

Archer
Ritchie McTominay Morrison Phillips
Cairney
McBurnie

Couldn’t call that either way to be honest.

17 minutes ago, Paco said:

It’s an interesting concept. There’s a bigger pool to choose from, but here’s something in the same formation that would be close to a Scots-born XI:

Gordon
Anya Hanley Berra Robertson
Forrest McArthur Armstrong Fraser
Snodgrass
Griffiths

Versus

Archer
Ritchie McTominay Morrison Phillips
Cairney
McBurnie

Couldn’t call that either way to be honest.

I think I'd take the Scots born team actually. That said, the non Scots born side has a few players i haven't seen properly, Archer, McTominay, Cairney and McBurnie so that might skew my answer.

Archived