Scotland v Costa Rica 23rd March

Time to start a thread. I think McLeish should cap some new players and play a very attacking team, I'd go 4 4 2.

Archer

Patterson McKenna Mulgrew Robertson

Forrest McGinn Armstrong Fraser

McBurnie Cummings

Not a game for McTominay to start but would cap him off bench if we are ahead and need to be more defensive minded.

• Replies 724
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Not really understanding why it's "not a game for ( Man Utd regular) McTominay to start"  yet you've Armstrong who's played about 20 min football back from injury?   

Not really understanding why it's "not a game for ( Man Utd regular) McTominay to start"  yet you've Armstrong who's played about 20 min football back from injury?   

Valid point and I'm a big fan of McTominay. I guess my thought process and from what I've seen is that he seems more suited against better teams. He's excellent at breaking play up and disrupting attacks but against Costa Rica I would like to see more of an attacking outfit.

Pure can't be arsed with this game but it's an excuse for a few Friday night pints if anything.

McGregor

McKenna    Hanley/Douglas    Mulgrew

Paterson                                                                      Robertson

McGinn     McTominay

Forrest                                                                           Fraser

Cummings            

Nobody is saying they are not although they are hardly top class. Its a team we should be having a real go at; especially at home in a friendly

You're lining up 442 with a very lightweight midfield against a team much better than us. I know it's a friendly, but we're never going to line up like that competitively, so it's pointless.

First game for me since the last minute 2-2 draw with Poland. Sensible pricing at a score a ticket for the North. Similar pricing for the nations league could see better turnouts than anticipated for it but that arguments for another thread. 

Think Mulgrew will definitely play in this one as Blackburn have a league game on the Thursday following the Hungary game (cheers sky) so he will probably sit out Hungary or only play a small part.

Archer

Paterson Hanley Mulgrew Robertson 

McTominay McGinn 

Forrest McGregor Fraser 

McBurnie 

1 hour ago, John Lambies Doos said:

Valid point and I'm a big fan of McTominay. I guess my thought process and from what I've seen is that he seems more suited against better teams. He's excellent at breaking play up and disrupting attacks but against Costa Rica I would like to see more of an attacking outfit.

Are Costa Rica not planning to attack us?

7 minutes ago, C. Muir said:

First game for me since the last minute 2-2 draw with Poland. Sensible pricing at a score a ticket for the North. Similar pricing for the nations league could see better turnouts than anticipated for it but that arguments for another thread. 

Think Mulgrew will definitely play in this one as Blackburn have a league game on the Thursday following the Hungary game (cheers sky) so he will probably sit out Hungary or only play a small part.

Archer

Paterson Hanley Mulgrew Robertson 

McTominay McGinn 

Forrest McGregor Fraser 

McBurnie 

This would be my team as well with the only possible exception being McBurnie out for Cummings.

It's encouraging how many good, technical footballers we have, particularly in midfield.

3 minutes ago, John Lambies Doos said:

Of course but I'd like us to have a real go.. toe to toe; rather than sit back, disrupt and nick a set piece goal.

I don't think playing McTominay means we'd sit back and steal a goal from a set piece.  You can play McTominay in there with McGregor and Armstrong (or McGinn) and still have an attacking team. It's about balance, it doesn't have to be park the bus or all out attack.

Despite Tierney being injured I still expect McLeish to go 3-5-2. Don’t see the point in only playing that if we have both Tierney and Robertson fit. Tierney At LCB and Robertson LWB with Douglas as back up.

For this game I’d go

McGregor

Hanley Mulgrew McKenna

Forrest Armstrong McTominay Cairney Robertson

Fraser

McBurnie 

Archived