I've heard a few times (mainly on off the ball) about the meadowbank thistle fanzine called AWOL having an edition with a picture of Nelson Mandela asking how Third Lanark were getting on. Does anyone know where I can find a photograph of that edition? I've been looking online but can't find many articles on it.

Would appreciate any help

Cover was by Lord Alick of Milne who went on to greater fame and fortune and prawn sandwiches as the editor of the Edinburgh City programme. 

I may have it carefully preserved in a pile of crap in the midden that is my bedroom. 

10 hours ago, Herman Hessian said:

i've got a bundle of those tucked away somewhere - will have a look over the weekend and see what i can find (and an awful lot of MTFC programmes, if anyone collects such things...)

If you have the 1987 pre-season against St Mirren its worth a bob or two. As is the rare pre-season against Hearts in 1986. And Killie fans will want the programme from the 8-1 game...

9 hours ago, tamthebam said:

If you have the 1987 pre-season against St Mirren its worth a bob or two. As is the rare pre-season against Hearts in 1986. And Killie fans will want the programme from the 8-1 game...

I thought this was a thread about the Lolverpool squad ... :lol: 

I’ve got a few copies of this Tam I’ll need to dig them out. 

14 hours ago, highlandcowden said:

There you go

1522306010691662473035.jpg

I always liked the cod-Afrikaans on the sign "Blacks Nein Verboten" :lol:

There was a similar joke in the 1970s strip "The Big Yin" (Malky McCormack/Billy Connolly)- The Big Yin (Connolly) says "I haven't played football for a while" and The Wee Man (McCormack) spotting his Third Lanark kitbag says "So I see.."

awol1.thumb.jpg.f589603f0f02a8f84a64dbe05b777d4a.jpg

The Daily Record headline reads "McCoist finds 20p. "It's ours" say Celtic", Back page reads "Found 10p at Christmas but it was Irish". 

Journalistic standards haven't changed over 30 years, that's for sure. 

2 minutes ago, tamthebam said:

awol2.thumb.jpg.83be430b0a5a1cd1d87e83c936c65418.jpg

awol3.thumb.jpg.efb216f61dd8b7a5cbd642a3ccc617a6.jpg

From the same edition. 

Alick's cartoons were classics back in the day there was also a few goods one in the Cheers Fanzine - one which pops into my head was someone blootering the ball out of the park at Montrose with the caption "The last tango at Links Park"

Wasn't there a City programme a few years ago when he didn't have a picture of someone scoring from a free kick in the game so he done a cartoon of it for the cover (to be fair it was probably better than the picture would have been:P)

Just now, cowdenbeath said:

Alick's cartoons were classics back in the day there was also a few goods one in the Cheers Fanzine - one which pops into my head was someone blootering the ball out of the park at Montrose with the caption "The last tango at Links Park"

Wasn't there a City programme a few years ago when he didn't have a picture of someone scoring from a free kick in the game so he done a cartoon of it for the cover (to be fair it was probably better than the picture would have been:P)

It was the mighty Ross Mac's wonder goal from the half way line, captured in a beautiful line drawing. 

As it was a goal the then City photographer would have missed it. Because he's a useless cnut. 

1 minute ago, tamthebam said:

It was the mighty Ross Mac's wonder goal from the half way line, captured in a beautiful line drawing. 

As it was a goal the then City photographer would have missed it. Because he's a useless cnut. 

I never actually had the programme just seen it in the programme shop one day and the guy who owns it told me the story behind the drawing being on the cover.

He should bring the cartoons back to the City programme, although they would have to be more "pc" now I suppose.

2 minutes ago, cowdenbeath said:

I never actually had the programme just seen it in the programme shop one day and the guy who owns it told me the story behind the drawing being on the cover.

He should bring the cartoons back to the City programme, although they would have to be more "pc" now I suppose.

well, I've always wondered if Alick could be persuaded to sum up a match in a sketch like Tom Curr used to do in the 1930s... 

5abeb8e7e297b_tomcurr.jpg.fdde167f3c25dd8356e8bd889a3c94ee.jpg

Archived