Bryan Slavin resigns as Ardrossan Winton Rovers Manager

Wild Winton Rover

What an opportunity to take. The club has great foundations to push on and go far for the right manager. Av not seen them this season but I know a few of the players I played against r still there and there really good players. Just need to get best out them. I can think of a manager ex player who could do a great job there. Hopefully they get it right

11 hours ago, Bigjimmcalpine said:

The AWR chairman has got loads of previous for quoting stuff in the local A & S rag when managers are struggling a bit , he's at least three times I've known of to be conducting his clubs business publically in that rag on the back pages , mentions managers lots and what will happen if they don't improve etc etc , that stuff shouldn't be for the back of papers and should be kept in house surely ? 

Just read this weeks report in the  "A&S rag"  seems to be ok for a manager to rip into the players!     " None of them good enough"  "Not doing what was wanted of them" "need a clear out"!

Does the "player/ manager" include himself in those statements?    The Chairman publicly backed the manager a few weeks ago in the same paper, pity the manager could'nt have left with a little bit more dignity.

I'll answer the question from rightleftback using the A&S Herald as the source material.  If you're going to "quote" an article then at least lift it directly as it is written, which will give you a half decent chance of it maybe being correct.

First of all, the article says that i think that the players let me down. That was likely taken from the context of what I said rather than from what I had actually said, which is likely why it isn't documented as an actual quote.

The players did not let me down as they had no loyalty to me in the first place as I didn't sign them. Their loyalty was to the club who pays their wages so I have never felt like they let me down.

The next point is that I'm quoted in the article, before any criticism of players, as saying

"I take responsibilty for the results. Whatever my approach was, (it) was not the right way for the players.  That's when you realise that you're not the right guy for the job".

It's pretty much what I said and I can't be any clearer as to who takes the responsibility.  It's why I am no longer the manager. 

Next, I'm quoted as saying there needs to be a

"...massive clean (clear) out of the playing staff..." 

which again is pretty much what I said.  That is borne out of 20 odd years experience in fitba from Sunday League and all levels in between up to Professional.  The decision on the playing staff however, is purely up to the new manager and they will make their own decision on that.

The point that 

"...overall the players are not good enough"

is a change in wording of what I believe and should have been

"overall, the squad isn't good enough." 

That's evidence by their collapse last season, their poor start which cost Sandy MacLean his job and then results since I took over.  My downfall in that respect was that I wasn't able to bring in players with enough about them to replace those we had identified as not up to the task.  You can let folk go (if they are not under contract and on good money) but you need to be able to replace with better.

I always said that there was plenty of ability at the club but experience tells me that ability is very rarely enough and so application and desire are just as important and those were the ingredients that the too many didn't have. The results speak for themselves in that respect. 

To cover the other "quote" from the post above, I did not say that the players are "Not doing what was wanted from them".  The actual quote was

"...the players are resisting what I was trying to do..."

One of the pieces of evidence of this was that despite going on relentlessly about discipline, yellow and red cards, diving into tackles, squaring up to opponents, etc, it continued to happen right up to the most recent match. 

An earlier poster reckoned that you just get rid of an indisciplined player but a) they're likely under contract, b) that can have a detrimental affect on a clique in a dressing room and c) you need to replace them.  If they've already been playing from the start then you need to replace them with someone of at least the same quality. In the middle of the season. It's easy said but not quite as easy done when the red cards are almost every week. Or maybe it is and that's why I'm not cut out for management. 

Putting all that aside, modern fitba management isn't for me so I'll stick to the shadows from now on if I ever decided to get back into it.

I won't be getting involved in a back and forth on here just to answer anyone's ifs, buts or maybes.  This post was only to rectify some of the slight errors in an article which was a lot shorter and less detailed (due to space obviously) than the actual conversation that I had.

respect to you Bryan and all the best for the future enjoy your time as we are all not on the planet for a long time so might as well have a good time

to me reading between the lines, AWR is still paying for the almighty balls up Chris Strain and John McColl made by their patent method of spend spend  spend and then leave

3 hours ago, wintonfan said:

respect to you Bryan and all the best for the future enjoy your time as we are all not on the planet for a long time so might as well have a good time

to me reading between the lines, AWR is still paying for the almighty balls up Chris Strain and John McColl made by their patent method of spend spend  spend and then leave

Alan, all managers over the past 10 years have worked to the budget set and what could be afforded by the club committee. Chris and John worked well within this formula and added value to the Club rather than bring any deficit. I'm sure everyone would not have put a price on our league title under their stewardship. Sadly you know little about the affairs of the club after being away from it for so long and not attending any of the Supporters or general meetings where club members and supporters are kept fully informed about the finances of the Club. Donald Reid is cut from the same cloth as Sam Morrison in the guardianship of the clubs financial affairs. (i.e. a pair of tight b's)

Archived