Ready Player One

naegoodinthedark

• 2 weeks later...

Gut feeling is this it the type of thing I'd have loved as a teenager but would find an absolute cringefest these days.

Not having read the book I'd hazard a guess the writing is kinda like "We time travelled in my Delorean after hitting 88 miles per hour, but something must have gone seriously wrong en route - we landed in Hyrule! 

"Great Scott! The flux capacitor seems to have malfunctioned." said the Doc.  

"Damn. I wish we had Scotty here; he can fix anything" said Captain  James Tiberius Kirk from Star Trek.

We all got out of the car, and I gasped when shadowy figures came out from nearby trees to approach us - I immediately recognised that we were in trouble.

They were none other than Sephiroth in his long, black cloak, sword drawn, flanked by Ganondorf and Kefka!"

Perhaps I'm wrong, but I'm not a fan of nostalgia bait for the sake of it.

Having read and loved the book a few years ago, I was naturally a mixture of excitement and trepidation coming into this.  Then I saw the trailer and thought it was going to be a disaster.

I've never been more pleased to be wrong.

The feel of the thing is right, the pacing is spot on, and the glorious references...there was a whole section of the film where I couldn't stop myself grinning like a loon.  There were a couple of bits I'd have liked to press the 'skip' button but whatever; some things were changed up from the book but not in a way that hurt the story, and certainly didn't take anything away from the film.  It flew by.

I'm tempted to go back and see it in 3D, but Cineworld in Edinburgh are limited to either 4D or iMAX screenings, neither of which I can be arsed paying for.

Having read and loved the book a few years ago, I was naturally a mixture of excitement and trepidation coming into this.  Then I saw the trailer and thought it was going to be a disaster.
I've never been more pleased to be wrong.
The feel of the thing is right, the pacing is spot on, and the glorious references...there was a whole section of the film where I couldn't stop myself grinning like a loon.  There were a couple of bits I'd have liked to press the 'skip' button but whatever; some things were changed up from the book but not in a way that hurt the story, and certainly didn't take anything away from the film.  It flew by.
I'm tempted to go back and see it in 3D, but Cineworld in Edinburgh are limited to either 4D or iMAX screenings, neither of which I can be arsed paying for.

I thought it was really enjoyable though 2hrs 20mins felt a bit long. Could have taken 30 mins off and it wouldn’t have harmed the film.

Will be going for a 2nd viewing at some point to catch all the references I missed first time around.

• 2 weeks later...

Just back from taking my 9 year old daughter to see this. I could not be arsed beforehand as this sort of thing is not my cup of tea at all but I thought it was fucking brilliant. Both the missus and me told the daughter to wake us up at the end if we fell asleep but we were gripped throughout.

The first 10/15 minutes felt like being on one of those roller coaster simulator rides; genuinely felt dizzy at times. 

I'm not a fan of watching anything more than once but I'd go and watch that again. In 3D and on acid would be nuts. 

Archived