Stockport County

The only English team I take an interest in having seen them as a young lad.

Currently in their fifth season in the National League North (tier 6) having been in the championship in the 90’s. There is only one automatic promotion place from a league of 22 but playoffs have been extended this year with 7th place being enough. Been having their usual up and down results so far but sitting in 9th with 10 to play so hoping for a decent run to be in with a shout of promotion.

Jim Gannon is the manager.

27 minutes ago, Broomhill Ultra said:

I'm sorry, I'm so sorry

Went to see them and tried to like them when I first relocated given they were the diddy team on the doorstep of the two big chaps but any club that has a version of The Sash as their club song can go f**k themselves. The local brewery even had a beer named The Scarf My Father Wore but as their beer and pubs are crap I don't know if they still do.

1 hour ago, 7-2 said:

Went to see them and tried to like them when I first relocated given they were the diddy team on the doorstep of the two big chaps but any club that has a version of The Sash as their club song can go f**k themselves. The local brewery even had a beer named The Scarf My Father Wore but as their beer and pubs are crap I don't know if they still do.

Robinsons? Did you ever try Old Tom......so lethal it was only served in half pints!

Where in Stockers did you stay? How come you ended up there? I went to the college there in 94-96.

A friend of mine - also a Thistle fan - has family links to the club, and I played a few games with them on Football Manager, so saw them as a team I had a soft spot for.  Haven't really followed them much in the past few years though, although my most recent memory of them was standing at one of the Falkirk Stations with said pal on the way back from watching Thistle win the First Division, and BBC were reporting that Stockport fans had invaded the pitch and set about the players on the way to relegation from the Football League.

2 hours ago, Broomhill Ultra said:

The only English team I take an interest in having seen them as a young lad.

Currently in their fifth season in the National League North (tier 6) having been in the championship in the 90’s. There is only one automatic promotion place from a league of 22 but playoffs have been extended this year with 7th place being enough. Been having their usual up and down results so far but sitting in 9th with 10 to play so hoping for a decent run to be in with a shout of promotion.

Canny see it bud Spennymoor above ye in the last play off place have 5 games in hand. 

Yer 6 points behind both Blyth and Kidderminster and 7 behind York who are next up. 

The remaining three seem well out of sight. 

Have you any games left against York Blyth or Kidderminster, they could potentially be 6 pointers. 

It's gonnae be a big ask but you never know. 

Canny see it bud Spennymoor above ye in the last play off place have 5 games in hand. 
Yer 6 points behind both Blyth and Kidderminster and 7 behind York who are next up. 
The remaining three seem well out of sight. 
Have you any games left against York Blyth or Kidderminster, they could potentially be 6 pointers. 
It's gonnae be a big ask but you never know. 

Will need a good, consistent run of wins no doubt. Still to play Blyth & Kidderminster.

Not a big fan of ever extending playoff places tbh but would take any chance.

2 hours ago, sjc said:

Robinsons? Did you ever try Old Tom......so lethal it was only served in half pints!

Where in Stockers did you stay? How come you ended up there? I went to the college there in 94-96.

https://www.robinsonsbrewery.com/store/old-tom/c-24/p-136

Robinsons indeed! Occasional club sponsors of course. Don't think I ever tried Old Tom, just their more basic offerings. I see it's still on the go so shall need to pop in somewhere and try it. Failing that a bottle from Tesco it is.  I moved south for work. It wasn't Stockport itself, a bit further along in Manchester.  Where were you when you were at college? I went to County a few times as it was cheaper than City or United, easier to get in and out and have a couple of beers before and after.  Did you ever go?

36 minutes ago, 7-2 said:

https://www.robinsonsbrewery.com/store/old-tom/c-24/p-136

Robinsons indeed! Occasional club sponsors of course. Don't think I ever tried Old Tom, just their more basic offerings. I see it's still on the go so shall need to pop in somewhere and try it. Failing that a bottle from Tesco it is.  I moved south for work. It wasn't Stockport itself, a bit further along in Manchester.  Where were you when you were at college? I went to County a few times as it was cheaper than City or United, easier to get in and out and have a couple of beers before and after.  Did you ever go?

I stayed in a few places when a student there. Cale Green.....right next to Edgley Park in fact!, Heaton Mersey and Middle Hillgate (in a pub call the Pack Horse but known as the Big Lamp for some reason.......what a shithole it was!

Didn't ever go sadly even though they had a decent team at the time under Danny Baggera (sp).

I always preferred a pint of Boddingtons or IPA Flowers to Robinsons TBH.

1 hour ago, sjc said:

I stayed in a few places when a student there. Cale Green.....right next to Edgley Park in fact!, Heaton Mersey and Middle Hillgate (in a pub call the Pack Horse but known as the Big Lamp for some reason.......what a shithole it was!

Didn't ever go sadly even though they had a decent team at the time under Danny Baggera (sp).

I always preferred a pint of Boddingtons or IPA Flowers to Robinsons TBH.

Tut tut. Living up the road from Robinsons and preferring Boddy's...quite right too! 

I work in stockport so have adopted them as my local team. Pretty frustrating side to watch. Very inconsistent and seemed forever trapped in this league. They get some great crowds though 4/5k for some games.

And as another poster so crassly alluded to as a Rangers fan it wasn't difficult to learn many of their songs. The reasons for the similarities I have no idea

Edited by edinabear