New motherboard and processor

My PC has a eight year old intel I5 processor. Over the years, nearly everything in the box has been replaced including upgrading to a ssd.  I am looking at upgrading the processor to the latest generation i5 8400 which also needs a new mobo.  Do I need to reload windows 10 after upgrade?

10 hours ago, Tonsilitis said:

My PC has a eight year old intel I5 processor. Over the years, nearly everything in the box has been replaced including upgrading to a ssd.  I am looking at upgrading the processor to the latest generation i5 8400 which also needs a new mobo.  Do I need to reload windows 10 after upgrade?

No, shouldnt have to. There might be some MB drivers to install but Windows should be fine.

Have you checked the RAM you have now to see if its compatible with the new MB?

Depending on your budget I would spend the extra £50 and get the 8600K with a noticeable performance boost and the ability to overclock. Assuming you're doing something resource intensive e.g gaming based on your 16GB RAM, go for RAM > 3000MHz such as: https://www.scan.co.uk/products/16gb-2x8gb-corsair-ddr4-vengeance-lpx-black-pc4-24000-3000-non-ecc-unbuffered-cas-16-20-20-38-xmp-20?v=c Again, noticeable performance boost especially alongside the 8600k.

Archived