Congrats Maureens, You’ve Utterly Skooshed It Thread

3 minutes ago, palmy_cammy said:

St Mirren'd it.

Indeed.

Let's not jinx it lads. We can all be billy big baws once we've got over the line!

• Replies 159
  • Created
  • Last Reply

I said it in one of our earlier match threads but Saint Mirren are the best side we've faced this season. In the three games we've had against the Buddies they are the only team who have looked better than us on pretty much every occasion. Whilst I think we have run them a lot closer recently we still can't get even a point. They've definitely got a fair bit of extra quality that other teams in this league don't. Any time we did get close to them they just turned it up a little bit more to get comfy again to see themselves home and dry. Definitely deserving of the title.

Wankers.

50 minutes ago, Div said:

Indeed.

Let's not jinx it lads. We can all be billy big baws once we've got over the line!

...go big or go home, I say!

I've watched us romp the league and I've seen us cling on to avoid relegation from it too, over the years you get a feel for what is needed and what isn't going to work. Any other supporter looking at our position would conclude it's as good ours so I see no reason, with the caveat of that experience, to disagree with them. In all honesty I had called it for us over a month ago, when it was more debatable, but now? Now... it would take us losing as many games in a few weeks as we've lost over the whole season - and that's before we rely on others maintaining 100% success. It's just not going to happen, so while I appreciate the reason to 'keep the powder dry' as it were, I feel that time has passed.

Obviously I wouldn't expect the club or players to think this, but then that is the benefit of being a fan.

7 minutes ago, Buddist Monk said:

...go big or go home, I say!

I've watched us romp the league and I've seen us cling on to avoid relegation from it too, over the years you get a feel for what is needed and what isn't going to work. Any other supporter looking at our position would conclude it's as good ours so I see no reason, with the caveat of that experience, to disagree with them. In all honesty I had called it for us over a month ago, when it was more debatable, but now? Now... it would take us losing as many games in a few weeks as we've lost over the whole season - and that's before we rely on others maintaining 100% success. It's just not going to happen, so while I appreciate the reason to 'keep the powder dry' as it were, I feel that time has passed.

Obviously I wouldn't expect the club or players to think this, but then that is the benefit of being a fan.

I feel uncomfortable taking plaudits before the event but of course you are right, this squad doesn't deserve to be saddled with the baggage that past Saints sides have left us with.

This team has got stronger under pressure rather than weaker. The performance against Livingston gave us all cause for concern but the players responded in the best possible way by recording three consecutive wins afterwards.

34 points out of the last 39 is really exceptional going.

CHAMPION-EES!!

On ‎19‎/‎03‎/‎2018 at 10:45, Coventry Saint said:

2VurE4L.png

I hadn't realised that Dundee Utd are doing so well this season compared to last !! Already on the same 44 points with 3 fewer games played.

Czaba Laszlo truly is the Messiah (not just a naughty boy).

9 hours ago, Buddist Monk said:

If I am being objective I'd say we had the 3rd best team on paper (at the start), probably the 3rd best budget with most of us foreseeing a 3rd placed finish. It's fair to say we don't have the 3rd best manager though!

With United, Falkirk and Inverness - all teams you would have expected at the start of the season to do well - doing so badly, it's really been up to the "chasing pack" to make a dent on our lead. Livi have certainly given it a go, and Dunfermline at the start certainly looked like they fancied it, but it's probably fair to say this was one of the easiest, but that just seems to be the way the league has unfolded. It certainly didn't look that way from day one - even without the "big" teams like Rangers, Hearts or Hibs.

Livvy have gave it more than a go and deserve a hell of a lot of plaudits with their budget and losing the same amount of games as yourself proving the two wins you have against them as being the difference. I could knock their playing style but if any of the teams in this league went up to the top league and were sitting pretty 2nd and the style of football wasnt kind to the eye at times, I am sure no one would be giving one hell of a fuks, that said Im sure many would take it in this league !!!

Indeed.
I was talking to a bunch of guys after 5's last night and none of them could believe that I wouldn't say it was ours.

I mentioned avoiding the play offs and they were howling. They've not been where we've been.

While I'm very confident we will win I'm not celebrating it yet.

8 hours ago, MrDust said:

Livvy have gave it more than a go and deserve a hell of a lot of plaudits with their budget and losing the same amount of games as yourself proving the two wins you have against them as being the difference. I could knock their playing style but if any of the teams in this league went up to the top league and were sitting pretty 2nd and the style of football wasnt kind to the eye at times, I am sure no one would be giving one hell of a fuks, that said Im sure many would take it in this league !!!

I saw nothing wrong with their style of play when they horsed us 4-1. I got challenged on B&WA when I said that what Hopkin has done arguably outweighs what Jack has done. Maybe not quite, but it is incredible.

7 minutes ago, Coventry Saint said:

I saw nothing wrong with their style of play when they horsed us 4-1. I got challenged on B&WA when I said that what Hopkin has done arguably outweighs what Jack has done. Maybe not quite, but it is incredible.

That's your issue right there.

2 minutes ago, monthelie' said:

That's your issue right there.

:lol:

I've gone back for a bit - thought it'd be better now we're decent again (my main issue with it is reading endlessly negativity - I just CBA with it). It's improved slightly, but not much.

Its been all over for a few weeks now, well done St Mirren.

Got to look on the positives maybe Coventry Saint will get up for a few games and leave the forum green dot league to others.

I wonder what his second handle is as he has a 92% green dot to post ratio!

12 minutes ago, Coventry Saint said:

:lol:

I've gone back for a bit - thought it'd be better now we're decent again (my main issue with it is reading endlessly negativity - I just CBA with it). It's improved slightly, but not much.

It's amazing how negative it still is over there. Just has a look now and there is a guy prattling on about our impending financial doom based on the fact we only made a small profit last year.

6 minutes ago, Paisley Ton said:

Its been all over for a few weeks now, well done St Mirren.

Got to look on the positives maybe Coventry Saint will get up for a few games and leave the forum green dot league to others.

I wonder what his second handle is as he has a 92% green dot to post ratio!

:lol: I'm just a quality poster :P

I try to be generous with the greenies as well, in my defence.

Fair play to St Mirren, they have by far and away been the most consistent team in the league and deserve it.

I don’t get this best of a bad lot crap. You have to beat what is in front of you and ultimately that’s what they have done. Everyone else cutting their own throats while they have went about their business.

2 hours ago, Coventry Saint said:

The first game they beat us in the cup, I was impressed with them with the everyone knows their job, power, pace and 110% effort and for me they never reached those levels again, came close once but having sat through two 0-0 games and 1-0 cup win for us, it was more or closer to rugby or shinty in those games. I would of course take a 0-0 when we were shite tho, this seasson we have gave teams 3 goals of a start when we were shite !!!

When it comes to budgets and below 4 figure crowds, its easy to see why you put Hopkins achievements high up there

As someone who witnessed the Hammarby game and the 2010 League Cup Final - until Tom Hendrie says it’s arithmetically impossible as opposed to mathematically impossible for anyone to catch us, then I’m adopting the mantra’ from a previous season.....

.....shhhhhh!

Archived