Edinburgh City v Clyde

Seen us play better, and our ball playing midfielders seem to struggle with the bounce on the surface. But mcstay set up nicol, Boyle scored a peach and mcstay then Lamont set up Godwillie.

Nicol was imperious in midfield and was booked for nothing, but as harsh as that was there was just no need to lunge in for his second booking.

Mcniff really is in a rich vein of form, and Duffie playing well with a bit of confidence .

Play offs still a long shot but we have some form, some confidence and a managerial dream team., so who knows .

• Replies 76
  • Created
  • Last Reply

After Saturday I had my doubts this would play out anything other than a draw. Other than a 10 minute spell before our goal we bossed that but without playing at our very best.

It’s crazy to think that there is still a chance, even small, that we can make the playoffs.

2 minutes ago, Clydeontheup said:

Nicol was imperious in midfield and was booked for nothing, but as harsh as that was there was just no need to lunge in for his second booking.

He clipped a guy who had got goal side of him, it was a clear booking even ignoring the fact he'd already committed three or four fouls. No criticism from me on that one; it wasn't a bad booking to take at all, but he knew himself it was a yellow.  The second one was just plain stupid and ruined what had been another good individual performance. It's easy to say substitute him but Lennon should be able to trust his captain not to pick up stupid cards when we're cruising at 3-0. I think that's him up to something like 15 yellow cards now (two double bookings).

Edinburgh had a couple of early chances with their tactic being to lump the ball in for El Alagui and play off the knockdowns. For that first ten minutes or so it looked like we might struggle with it but McNiff, Cogill and Duffie tucking inside dealt with it really well as the game progressed and they dropped out of the game completely as a result. What was so impressive was our running and pressing; Cuddihy, McStay, Lamont all pressed superbly in key areas, forcing their outside centre backs wide to the touchline and didn't give them a single opportunity to pass the ball through midfield as they did at Broadwood. Opener was a free header (uncontested) and the second came after a lovely bit of passing and a good finish by Boyle.

Second half we were always in control, scored a great goal via good passes by McStay/Lamont and a typical Goodwillie finish. Red card probably stopped us from getting more but even then we still had the better of things with the man less.

Currie started off with a couple of poor errors but made two decent saves after that and didn't have a whole lot to do, even in possession. Stewart made a few uncharacteristic errors but the other three at the back were excellent after a slow start. No idea what's happened to McNiff, or indeed Duffie who is fully backing up SP's assessment. Cogill now looks fully up to this league's pace. 

The midfield's closing down was excellent, they absolutely ran the legs off Edinburgh and got high up the pitch unlike Saturday. Nothing really came off for McStay and he was rightly hooked but still involved with a couple of goals, Lamont the usual touches of class and lots of running. Cuddihy was terrific closing down and moving the ball on and despite covering more ground than anyone, he was still running full pelt in the 95th minute. Boyle just elevates our performances with the positions he takes up and some of his touches and we've got the runners behind him to carry the fact he drifts out of the game. Nicoll obviously enjoys playing with legs all around him leaving him to sweep up, win headers and play an easy pass.

Goodwillie wasn't really in the game much first half (he was great when he did have the ball) but the 15 minutes he put in after Nicoll was sent off was absolutely outstanding, probably as good as anything we've seen from him. Playing in a deeper role, he kept the ball, got us up the pitch, bought free-kicks, basically killed off any chance Edinburgh had of gaining any momentum. Absolute class. 

The substitutes all did a good job, albeit it's obviously easy to come into a game at 3-0. Grant saw the game out really well and we'll need a massive performance from him on Saturday, Lowdon gave us fresh legs, and Kipre held the ball up well on a couple of occasions without ever dazzling

And to top it all off, Cowdenbeath make things slightly more interesting. Elgin must win away from home at some point, when better than Saturday?!

After Saturday I thought that was any chance of the playoffs gone, the difference 90 minutes can make. It’s a very tall order & realistically we won’t do it but you’re not a football fan unless you’ve got that hope. It’s going to be extremely difficult but why not eh, keep winning and put the pressure on the teams above. 

At very least we will finish the season on a high which can be built on over the summer. 

Delighted at other results, delighted at scoring 3 goals away from home & delighted about a clean sheet. 

Dissappointed with the sending off but just goes to show how much he’s improved under Lennon that we’re disappointed that he’s out. Big player for us. @shawfield shed boy knew. 

39 minutes ago, David W said:
  1. It's easy to say substitute him but Lennon should be able to trust his captain not to pick up stupid cards.
  2. Opener was a free header (uncontested).
  1. Aye... Just read that back and remember it's Kevin Nicoll we're talking about. Would you say that Airdrie's managers of old should've been able to trust Paul Lovering not to pick-up stupid cards? Of course you wouldn't. It's what these guys do, experience irrespective.

2. I was inattentive if that was the case; sure he burled over a man to get free; didn't think it was the freebie Goodie got against Elgin.

McNiff's a new player. We've all got to be elated about that. Couldn't have picked a better time to get his 'defender' on either. Really, really hope he keeps it up. I'd have him out on the left somewhere though. You know. Because the Annan fans said...

Clyde's games in April are all very winnable.  The next three are critical - win them all and I think Clyde will do it.

Montrose- big test against top team- but on current form should be winnable, then Cowdenbeath, potential banana skin, but should be a win, then Peterhead away. Tough game but should have won last time. Stenny's form is faltering, and while they have an easy run now  nerves might get to them. To be honest it is in Stenny's hands and theirs to blow, but  they seem pretty shaky with only 2 wins in last 5. 

Whatever happens what a turnaround. Genuine concern for league status to the form team over the last dozen  games or so.  Well done Lennon and at last a decent platform for the future.

30 minutes ago, JinglinGeordie said:

I need Clyde top 4 for £6k from a couple outright bets. Dare I dream?

I didn’t think we had a chance before kick off last night and but we’re now really six points behind when you take in goal difference and you never know. Montrose came from no where last season and just missed out on the last day. 

It would be an astonishing turn around if we managed to get the play offs. If we end up getting promoted it would be unbelievable given where we were but let’s beat Montrose on Saturday from rat and see what happens. 

2 minutes ago, Karpaty said:

I didn’t think we had a chance before kick off last night and but we’re now really six points behind when you take in goal difference and you never know. Montrose came from no where last season and just missed out on the last day. 

It would be an astonishing turn around if we managed to get the play offs. If we end up getting promoted it would be unbelievable given where we were but let’s beat Montrose on Saturday from rat and see what happens. 

Montrose didnt miss out.

10 hours ago, David W said:

He clipped a guy who had got goal side of him, it was a clear booking even ignoring the fact he'd already committed three or four fouls. No criticism from me on that one; it wasn't a bad booking to take at all, but he knew himself it was a yellow.  The second one was just plain stupid and ruined what had been another good individual performance. It's easy to say substitute him but Lennon should be able to trust his captain not to pick up stupid cards when we're cruising at 3-0. I think that's him up to something like 15 yellow cards now (two double bookings).

Edinburgh had a couple of early chances with their tactic being to lump the ball in for El Alagui and play off the knockdowns. For that first ten minutes or so it looked like we might struggle with it but McNiff, Cogill and Duffie tucking inside dealt with it really well as the game progressed and they dropped out of the game completely as a result. What was so impressive was our running and pressing; Cuddihy, McStay, Lamont all pressed superbly in key areas, forcing their outside centre backs wide to the touchline and didn't give them a single opportunity to pass the ball through midfield as they did at Broadwood. Opener was a free header (uncontested) and the second came after a lovely bit of passing and a good finish by Boyle.

Second half we were always in control, scored a great goal via good passes by McStay/Lamont and a typical Goodwillie finish. Red card probably stopped us from getting more but even then we still had the better of things with the man less.

Currie started off with a couple of poor errors but made two decent saves after that and didn't have a whole lot to do, even in possession. Stewart made a few uncharacteristic errors but the other three at the back were excellent after a slow start. No idea what's happened to McNiff, or indeed Duffie who is fully backing up SP's assessment. Cogill now looks fully up to this league's pace. 

The midfield's closing down was excellent, they absolutely ran the legs off Edinburgh and got high up the pitch unlike Saturday. Nothing really came off for McStay and he was rightly hooked but still involved with a couple of goals, Lamont the usual touches of class and lots of running. Cuddihy was terrific closing down and moving the ball on and despite covering more ground than anyone, he was still running full pelt in the 95th minute. Boyle just elevates our performances with the positions he takes up and some of his touches and we've got the runners behind him to carry the fact he drifts out of the game. Nicoll obviously enjoys playing with legs all around him leaving him to sweep up, win headers and play an easy pass.

Goodwillie wasn't really in the game much first half (he was great when he did have the ball) but the 15 minutes he put in after Nicoll was sent off was absolutely outstanding, probably as good as anything we've seen from him. Playing in a deeper role, he kept the ball, got us up the pitch, bought free-kicks, basically killed off any chance Edinburgh had of gaining any momentum. Absolute class. 

The substitutes all did a good job, albeit it's obviously easy to come into a game at 3-0. Grant saw the game out really well and we'll need a massive performance from him on Saturday, Lowdon gave us fresh legs, and Kipre held the ball up well on a couple of occasions without ever dazzling

And to top it all off, Cowdenbeath make things slightly more interesting. Elgin must win away from home at some point, when better than Saturday?!

On Nicol - I also dont agree with his first booking. The Edinburgh player just cut across him, and bringing him down was what he played for. If it was for persistant foulingm then at least two of the decisions against Nicol were just wrong. Cant argue with the stupidity of his 2nd challenge.

Also, think Lamont wasnt great last night, his pass for Goodwillies goal was, but he's been superb since turn of the year, as has McStay since he came in.

To think we could be 5th by close of play Saturday is just incredible. Still  a massive ask, and will require a severe collapse from Stenny - but feel we are the best placed team to cath them.

But.... Goodwillie still a booking away from mising a game. That could also be key to our chances.

4 minutes ago, AgentDaleCooper said:

To think we could be 5th by close of play Saturday is just incredible. Still  a massive ask, and will require a severe collapse from Stenny - but feel we are the best placed team to cath them.

But.... Goodwillie still a booking away from mising a game. That could also be key to our chances.

Indeed, an excellent return from Both Lennon and Moore, who I believe is also key to our form as of late. Great Appointments, and also with what appears to be an excellent network of players we can call upon in the future.

1 hour ago, AgentDaleCooper said:

Montrose didnt miss out.

1 hour ago, ScottR96 said:

Montrose got to the play offs did they not? 

Stenny look to be making a right Clyde of things. The pressure is all on them and it would appear it's starting to get to them.

Even more impressive! 

IF...and it’s a big if...Clyde beat Montrose Saturday and Cowden on Tuesday, Stenny lose to Elgin on Saturday, Clyde will then occupy 4th place, albeit Stenny 2 games in hand.

It’s quite exciting for me considering I’d written off the bets by January. Still hugely unlikely but you never know, fingers crossed!

2 hours ago, haufdaft said:

I don't expect Clyde to make the playoffs. I think we've left it too late.

However, if we do make the playoffs, we'll win them.

Agree 100% -  However those 4 (or was it 5) goalless draws will probably come back and boot us in the baws

Archived