Edinburgh City v Clyde

Despite their position, Edinburgh can muster good movement up-top and put-out quite a tidy, mobile midfield. Both of which will cause us bother. Happily, they pay a price for having their quality concentrated where they do. It's probably the same we've paid this season actually. Namely, that in playing to their strengths they - as we - have been easy to score against. There's not huge protection for their defence, which doesn't cope at all well big spaces or pace in-and-about it.

I don't envy Lennon weighing this one up. He's got to think about pressing the advantage we have in our full-time lads, and deploying all the quality possession players we have, versus how we've got all our bite tied up in a single player: Kevin Nicoll. He's got to mull over how easily Edinburgh got behind our back-four at Broadwood, and wonder: could I take one from midfield and put that body up-top without blowing things wide open?

I reckon we'll stick with 4-5-1, at least for 60-65 minutes. Like Elgin, you hope Edinburgh will be out of puff thereafter, and, likewise, that we won't have conceded. After the 65' mark, we could chuck on a sub or two - Boyle, Kipre - and go for it.

If it's me? I'd run the 4-4-2 experiment from the off. Assuming Cogill's fit, same back four as the past few weeks. Boyle on one flank. Lamont on the other. Goodie and Kipre up-top. McStay and Nicoll through the middle. If we end-up making like a colander, well, we can consider the experiment a failure. But I'd give it 45' to see if it gives us the teeth it threatens to. You just wonder: could we pump a team if we'd a forward who was a reliable out-ball/hold-up player? You'd relieve the defence and midfield of a lot of legwork, get into their half easily, and put your top-boys on the front foot instantly: Goodie, Lamont, Boyle, McStay. You'd probably see Nicoll pinch a ball or two and set us flying up the park, too. We'd concede two or more on a Saturday playing 4-4-2. I think that's a dead-cert. But against a leggy Edinburgh? It's lower-risk. Mind, if we'd a third centre-back available, I'd play 3-5-2. Guard-against their movement up-top, crowd-out the midfield, and keep their defenders busy with a second forward. Complete package. Injuries scupper that, unfortunately.

Looking forward it, all the same.

• Replies 76
  • Created
  • Last Reply

This is the Elgin game replayed but with the predicable effects of Boyle and Nicoll being on the pitch from the off. Namely, that we can actually score from a competed-for header and that our possession is much more incisive than it would be were Martin, for instance, to be on the pitch.

If they're smart, they'll throw on some subs. If we're smart we'll play it cautious for the first 15 minutes of the second; fitness should have us home free after that. The fact that Goodwillie's on the pitch and hasn't scored yet bodes well for a third.

I think it was Emperor Palpatine who said: everything is proceeding as I have foreseen. Auld sith bastart.

Archived