What is the strangest reason for a game postponement?

This comes about from a comment in the Queens/Saints game where it was mentioned that the wind will ruin the game.

I was thinking back but I don't think I've ever known a game to be postponed for wind. Other things yes, but not wind. Which, when you think of it, wind will have as much of a negative effect as waterlogged pitch, yet you'll cancel the game based on that. The bad weather has taken a toll on this division this season but I'm wondering what the strangest reason anyone's game has been cancelled for.

• Replies 92
  • Created
  • Last Reply

I’m sure I read about an East Stirling game being abandoned when the ‘keeper’s goal kick coming straight back at him like a boomerang. Probably a good 10-12 years ago from memory.

I was talking to a Killie fan that I work with, and he told me that Killie had a game at Meadowbank called off back in the early 90s as the stadium was double booked with a cat show. Can't imagine  there being a more ridiculous reason than that.

Morton had a game at Dumbarton postponed due to a wedding taking place in the stadium too, I'm sure.

The wind played a big part in a game at East End in the late 90s. Dundee United were shooting with the wind in the first half and went in 0-3 up at half time. We of course were shooting with the wind in the second half, and the game finished 3-3, with (I think) Gerry Britton missing a good chance late on to give us a 4-3 win.

Patrick had half a team out against us at home in a cup replay. Next round I'm sure was a potential tie with the old firm. This was when they groundshared with Glasgow rugby and blamed the rugby club for 'forgetting' to switch the undersoil heating on. Complete and utter farce and borderline cheating. A week later they played midweek with a full side and half the pars support there.

9 minutes ago, smpar said:

I’m sure I read about an East Stirling game being abandoned when the ‘keeper’s goal kick coming straight back at him like a boomerang. Probably a good 10-12 years ago from memory.

Oh, right, I didn't realise there have been any games abandoned for the wind. Interesting...

8 minutes ago, Stevie Aitken's Love Child said:

.. called off back in the early 90s as the stadium was double booked with a cat show.

It's just the start of this thread, but I'm guessing "postponed due to cats" will be up there with the weirdest postponements.

4 minutes ago, D.A.F.C said:

Patrick had half a team out against us at home in a cup replay. Next round I'm sure was a potential tie with the old firm. This was when they groundshared with Glasgow rugby and blamed the rugby club for 'forgetting' to switch the undersoil heating on. Complete and utter farce and borderline cheating. A week later they played midweek with a full side and half the pars support there.

The next round draw hadn't been made at the time, Buchanan who scored for Partick was definitely out for the original game though. It was pretty obvious what they had done though. 

The  Falkirk Stadium suffers a bit in high wind sometimes with quite a lot of damage at times. I think, and I'm probably talking bollocks, that a game was postponed due to the stadium roof being unsafe following a storm. So postponed by wind albeit indirectly.

4 minutes ago, ShaggerG said:

The  Falkirk Stadium suffers a bit in high wind sometimes with quite a lot of damage at times. I think, and I'm probably talking bollocks, that a game was postponed due to the stadium roof being unsafe following a storm. So postponed by wind albeit indirectly.

Thinking back wasn't there an Inverness Celtic game cancelled not so much for the wind but the stadium being unsafe. Like you I could be talking bollocks, but I have a vague memory of something like that. I mean, I could use google, but where is the fun in that?

I know it's not a professional game but I play in a friendly 11's match on a Saturday and it was cancelled because when we arrived there was an American football team training on the pitch.

Weirdest cancellation I've experienced.

8 minutes ago, Buddist Monk said:

Thinking back wasn't there an Inverness Celtic game cancelled not so much for the wind but the stadium being unsafe. Like you I could be talking bollocks, but I have a vague memory of something like that. I mean, I could use google, but where is the fun in that?

The famous 'Super Caley go ballistic' game only happened midweek due to high winds damaging a roof at Parkhead on the Saturday.

I'm pretty certain we had a game at Broadwood against Clyde postponed in 1997 or thereabouts, due to the windy conditions.

9 minutes ago, Hedgecutter said:

If he caught it to prevent it going in the goal, would it be classed as a passback and denying a clear goal scoring opportunity ?

No.

It couldn't possibly be considered a pass back, on account of not being deliberate or a pass.

This comes about from a comment in the Queens/Saints game where it was mentioned that the wind will ruin the game.
I was thinking back but I don't think I've ever known a game to be postponed for wind. Other things yes, but not wind. Which, when you think of it, wind will have as much of a negative effect as waterlogged pitch, yet you'll cancel the game based on that. The bad weather has taken a toll on this division this season but I'm wondering what the strangest reason anyone's game has been cancelled for.

We've had 2 games called off due to the wind in recent years, away at Arbroath and away at East Fife.

On both occassions we had already arrived at the ground.

23 minutes ago, Buddist Monk said:

Did not know that. Maybe this sort of postponement is more common than I thought.

All to do with the stadium and how exposed it is, somewhere like Gayfield is situated right on the coast and doesn't have any big stands to act as a windbreaker. In the Premiership/upper championship you'd expect the bigger teams to have bigger stadiums etc. 

1 minute ago, Grant228 said:

All to do with the stadium and how exposed it is, somewhere like Gayfield is situated right on the coast and doesn't have any big stands to act as a windbreaker. In the Premiership/upper championship you'd expect the bigger teams to have bigger stadiums etc. 

Yeah, I'd say just about any club on the coast in this country will suffer that. I just don't remember seeing any postponed (or abandoned) because of the wind. Not that I follow the lower leagues all that carefully, but I'd expect to notice it if it happened. Yet @Bring Back Paddy Flannery said Dumbarton have had two games hit by it so maybe I wouldn't.

Archived