What is the strangest reason for a game postponement?

On 3/17/2018 at 19:12, PB1994 said:

I’n sure we had a game called off after 20 mins away to Kilmarnock in the Scottish Cup,back around the times we had Davide Xausa up top, as they couldn’t be arsed turning on the USH

That was the replay after we drew 1-1 at home.  We scored in about the 91st minute, spent too long p*ssin about celebrating and they equalised (Hay or McPherson I think).
The midweek reply was abandoned after about 17 minutes due to a frozen pitch.  Jimmy Calder saved a penalty before the game was abandoned.  I think he might have also hurt himself on the frozen surface at one point too.  It was freezing that day.  Killie never turned their USH on apparently due to complaints form the neighbours about the noise but I think it was financial considerations that were the real reason.

I think we eventually lost the tie 1-0.  And they scored a penalty!

• Replies 92
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Wasn't a postponement, although it was almost an abandonment: heard a story today about a Clydebank fan who handcuffed himself to the goalpost during a game v Stenhousemuir at Ochilview. He was protesting about the Bankie's imminent collapse and withdrawal from the league. They put a request over the tannoy asking if anyone had wire cutters with them!

Apparently there was a postponed game at Ochilview though when the Hamilton players didn't turn up as they had gone on strike!

10 minutes ago, ShaggerG said:

Apparently there was a postponed game at Ochilview though when the Hamilton players didn't turn up as they had gone on strike!

Saved us from certain relegation to the bottom division in 2000.

34 minutes ago, ShaggerG said:

Wasn't a postponement, although it was almost an abandonment: heard a story today about a Clydebank fan who handcuffed himself to the goalpost during a game v Stenhousemuir at Ochilview. He was protesting about the Bankie's imminent collapse and withdrawal from the league. They put a request over the tannoy asking if anyone had wire cutters with them!

Ayr Utd-Airdrieonians another "infamous" abandonment.

EDIT: Beat this:

King Cup, 1903-04

First Round
Bathgate    bye

Second Round
West Calder Swifts 1-1 Bathgate
Bathgate 0-2 West Calder Swifts    declared friendly on 30 mins due to mist, then abandoned due to crowd trouble
Bathgate 4-0 West Calder Swifts

Semi-Finals
Bathgate 0-1 Broxburn Shamrock    annulled as Broxburn Shamrock fielded ineligible player
Bathgate 3-0 Broxburn Shamrock

Final
Bo'ness 0-0 Bathgate
Bo'ness 2-1 Bathgate    abandoned at half-time due to waterlogging and high winds
Bo'ness 1-1 Bathgate
Bo'ness 2-2 Bathgate
Bo'ness P-P Bathgate    cup awarded to Bathgate when Bo'ness failed to appear

On 23/03/2018 at 16:47, Flash said:

They had a game at Ibrox against Queens in the Diddy Cup postponed due to international call ups when we were in the Second Division. Having all their players available on the rescheduled date allowed them to take the game to extra-time and penalties before they lost.

We however didnt have all our players available. McKenna was suspended, Burns cup tied and Chris Mitchell played central midfield due to lack of alternatives.

On 23/03/2018 at 18:26, steakpiegravy said:

Did a Queens player not collapse with hypothermia at an away game sometime in the 80s? I’m thinking Tony Gervaise but maybe wrong.

It was Tony Gervaise in the 85-86 promotion season. 

Incidentally in the previous season's King Cup a tie was annulled as the referee was drunk.

Neither postponement or abandonment, but some games were temporarily suspended on Saturday 24th January 1925 - Scottish Cup R1 day - due to a total eclipse of the sun.

Aberdeen v Huntly in the Aberdeenshire Cup was also affected by thick fog meaning "the spectators caught only rare glimpses of the game. Few of them knew that when the game finished the score stood at 8-2 in favour of the homesters. Even the players could not tell the score and several times, when the ball was returned to be centred, the halfs continued to play thinking a free kick had been granted".

On 3/17/2018 at 12:49, smpar said:

I’m sure I read about an East Stirling game being abandoned when the ‘keeper’s goal kick coming straight back at him like a boomerang. Probably a good 10-12 years ago from memory.

It happened at Gayfield where the weather in this occasion became Arbroath's 12th man.

There has to be a few strange ones over the years.

A high spring tide along with a high level river from snow melt plus some heavy rain/sleet raised the watertable under the pitch at Inverness enough to cause the postponement of our match with St. Johnstone.

Also I seem to remember an SPL game being called of because of an unsafe car park, ice was the problem.  Not sure where this was, St. Mirren perhaps? Probably not enough salt and grit to go around, weather must have been overwhelming.

Didn't Livingston have a postponement due to a frozen pitch because someone switched off the undersoil heating three days before a game and no one noticed until the Saturday pitch inspection?

A Meadowbank v Brechin game had been postponed from the Saturday due to a Highland Games. I arrived at the stadium the following midweek for the rearranged game to be told it was off due to the Hammer event having left big holes in the pitch. It was considered unsafe for players.

I remember that one. Wasn't there criss crossing lines as well from the athletics.

On ‎27‎/‎03‎/‎2018 at 13:39, Salvo Montalbano said:

Was there not a game somewhere (possibly down south) where the game was abandoned due to fog and the keeper didn't realise and stayed out for a while?

You're probably thinking about Hiroo Onoda.

Mad Billy Brown telling Paul "Shagger" McManus to jump up and down on a soft area of Glebe Park as East Fife had about 9 players either injured or suspended for the game. He made such a mess the East Fife management wanted the game off on health and safety grounds.
Justice was done though. City won the rearranged game 6-0.

Archived