Alloa v Airdrie

Lovely second goal - but why no changes?  The midfield ran out of puff literally - Ryan Conroy was knackered, Dean Cairns looked off the pace - why not freshen up?  Brown and Watt on?  

Must  mention Dale  Carrick - very clever player, 100% man - would hate to play against him. Darryl Duffy - again - very intelligent player  - but again dependant on a midfield that's service dried up as the game went on.

Special mentions -  Willie Muir's save in the first half - whatever your opinion of the boy it was a first rate save and kept us in the game  and David Brownlie's last gasp foot in  to avoid a clear goal in the 2nd half.

Not so special mention - the referee - fud.

• Replies 82
  • Created
  • Last Reply
14 hours ago, Kobe2010 said:

We changed a back four set up that was the most frugal in the league.It was thrown together due to injuries and most posters on here always saw it as a stop gap but over a lot of games it has easily proved to be the safest.

15 hours ago, Redwedge77 said:

Once again the defence stand off and let a player shoot at goal. Our defence look like rabbits caught in head lights and we are now leaking goals, something we had stopped for a while

Thought McCart looked a good foil for big Andy but it isn't working at the moment.  Agree that the defence with Tags in the middle and Robbo at right back looked a lot more comfortable.  Goodwin has gone from a winning team, no changes mentality to a winning team, need to make changes because 2 games a week mentality.  I know Leodhas XD mentioned keeping the aquad happy but these guts are either loanees or contracts up at year end when they will go wherever to play or continue to take a wage.  get the best team out and if they are playing well and winning, don't change it. 

A share of points a fair result,but why no subs crying out for Brown @Watt   Could have replaced ,Stewart ,Conroy  ,Cairns .but got to be happy with a point  just thought after East-Fife taking 3points off them we might have done the same .,thought O'Neil had a good game though .

I was impressed by Muir v Stranraer but not so impressed yesterday. Second goal was through his legs and then there was hesitation in coming out which nearly gave Alloa the winner. Early day, but maybe the quest for a decent keeper continues?

Guest LonglivetheKING
1 hour ago, waysider said:

I was impressed by Muir v Stranraer but not so impressed yesterday. Second goal was through his legs and then there was hesitation in coming out which nearly gave Alloa the winner. Early day, but maybe the quest for a decent keeper continues?

The goalie was to blame for their 2nd?   You are kidding fella?

Thought we could have won had the penalty been converted. The opening goal was another of our bizarre  bits of defending as they appeared to stand still and Muir was appealing for something which none of us noticed. It was a great pass by McDonald to Hastie which allowed him to chip Parry for Carrick's  brave header. Much debate about why having fouled Duffy, Parry was not booked and most of us thought it was probably, in the modern parlance, not an obvious goal scoring opportunity. Typical of Conroy to muse on not missing penalties and then do it. Cairns was booked for a late challenge which missed and I think that hindered him in second half so he should have been taken when he started flagging.  Hetherington  had a shocking foul on O'neil and might well have been sent off. As said the 2nd goal was just bad defending from McDonald but I thought the drilled shot would have beaten most goalies. To be fair to them in second half that equaliser was one of the best this season and showed what we can do. Substitutions by Alloa let them get a spur , so it was unusual to see us fail to make a change-shades of Gary Bollan. The snow capped Ochils were in view as well as four seasons but I did enjoy the game . Pity my feet took a wile to thaw out.  As for the The Ref he was not the worst I have seen but he is the smallest and his pal at our side needs to practise a sprint to keep in line with last defender.

I wasn't at the game yesterday but Muir has always impressed whenever I've seen him. He's a good goalie for this level. 

I never normally read the match previews on the website but read this week's and noticed Conroy said he never misses penalties. Of course, that meant he was always going to miss the next one... 

PS More of Darryl Duffy doing the Fortnite dance, please

30 minutes ago, airdrieman said:

I wasn't at the game yesterday but Muir has always impressed whenever I've seen him. He's a good goalie for this level. 

I never normally read the match previews on the website but read this week's and noticed Conroy said he never misses penalties. Of course, that meant he was always going to miss the next one... 

PS More of Darryl Duffy doing the Fortnite dance, please

Thanks for identifying that celebration-well outside my awareness- is it modern? 

51 minutes ago, LonglivetheKING said:

The goalie was to blame for their 2nd?   You are kidding fella?

You don’t like me do you? You’re always picking my posts.

Macdonald was primarily responsible for the goal but the ball did go between Muir’s legs. Even if it was going quite fast I reckon most keepers would be disappointed at losing a goal like that. I haven’t seen enough of him to disregard him but I thought the 2 incidents on Saturday were disappointing 

Overall a draw was a fair result and either team could have won. Second goal was excellent. Thought Brownlie had a good game and his goal saving tackle was memorable.  Agree that a sub in midfield might have helped us 

Guest LonglivetheKING

Macdonald was primarily responsible for the goal but the ball did go between Muir’s legs. Even if it was going quite fast I reckon most keepers would be disappointed at losing a goal like that. I haven’t seen enough of him to disregard him but I thought the 2 incidents on Saturday were disappointing 

I have absolutely no issues with you at all.  The goalie was not in any way liable for either goal.

However it looked like Alloa tried to pressure him with deep crosses, they must see him as  weak on that front.

I must say that he is a good communicator and his quick throws are really impressive.

17 hours ago, waysider said:

Can't blame the goalie even remotely, Cawley should never have been allowed to just wander into the box and shoot, I mean where was MacDoanald even going or hoping to achieve by giving up his goal side position to go behind the attacker on the outside? He was tracking Cawley as well so you can't say it caught him off guard. Keeper was unlucky at best.

ETA - In fact what was he even doing at the first goal?! He was pointing at the Alloa player running into the left back position as if Brownlie was supposed to be dealing with it whilst he marked an empty space, the subsequent cross resulted in a goal, spot a pattern yet?

First goal was a perceived handball where all the defenders stopped waiting on whistle. Second ball lost in midfield and a poorly defended one on one.

We are really very naive for this league, seem to switch off waiting on decisions which never come, easily brushed aside at times, but don't throw ourselves about looking for foul and don't do the steal yards act confident stuff that other teams manage so well.

Need to get rid of the development league mentality & start mixing it with the big boys.

See Goodwins turned into a wee fairy overnight due to some abuse he took[emoji23]
Our fans probably just as bad for abuse shouted towards opposition players [emoji23]

Concluded last night it's a tie between ourselves and Airdrie for angriest fans in the league and long may it continue. Was glorious sitting back and lapping it all up some great shouts!

Archived