Annan v Clyde.

• Replies 49
  • Created
  • Last Reply
7 hours ago, Karpaty said:

I imagine my potential stag do being something similar to do with a Clyde game but even that is hardcore. Respect. 

We’re staying in Aberdeen, rather than Peterhead. Shame Peterhead doesn’t have a train station really....

Playoffs looking a very long shot not.

Playoffs are now completely gone, as they probably were pre-kick off anyway. I thought we should have gone for it a bit more;  I can only assume Kipre is rubbish as that was absolutely crying out for a second striker with us having plenty of the ball but not able to pass through Annan. 5th place would still be a reasonable achievement given where we were in the middle of January. I'm sure we'll see more of Lowdon, Smart, Gourlay, Wright etc going forward. Might as well properly get ourselves ready for next season.

For most of the game we struggled to get players close to Goodwillie, with Cuddihy not natural out wide and Lamont having a stinker, whilst Grant is a more defensive midfielder and McStay can't hold a position as he goes looking for the ball. It made it all very easy to defend for Annan, and goes totally against what we've done well for the last couple of months with energy all around Goodwillie. We started the game well and could easily have scored in the first 5 minutes with the wind behind us but it soon descended into a scrappy game. Henderson missed a good chance for Annan and that was about it. 

Second half we scored from a quickly taken long throw by McNiff, the referee somehow didn't award a spot-kick for Goodwillie being fouled, but Nicoll produced a great finish back across the goalkeeper from the loose ball. We looked comfortable at 1-0, especially with Boyle sitting higher behind Goodwillie and giving us a route to pass through Annan. The weather ruined the game though, with  passes on the ground being affected by it and anything in the air going nowhere near its target. I think the equaliser hit the far corner quicker than it normally would have done because of the wind behind it, probably caught Currie out. Our errors for the goal seemed to stem in midfield with us missing a couple of challenges, and Henderson belied his diabolical performance with a quickly hit shot from distance before he could be closed down. 

Closing stages we might have taken the three points but Annan number 2 had perhaps the biggest slice of luck when putting the ball over his own bar from a couple of yards out (seemed impossible), then from the corner I think it was the same player who sliced an attempted clearance against his own goalkeeper. 

Back four defended well in the main. Cogill going off injured is frightening with the other injuries we have got at the back. McNiff probably my MotM for the second game on the spin :lol: Duffie and Stewart no worries at all and hopefully a couple of solid displays in a row will have Duffie playing with some confidence. Nicoll wasn't bad, Grant plays some great, sharp first time passes but again dangles his toes into 50-50s and doesn't do enough when he has time on the ball. McStay lots of good wee touches but not much overall impact today, and his set pieces were rubbish. Lamont as said earlier was dreadful, he's definitely much better centrally than out wide as he's not particularly great beating a man when hamstrung with a touchline on one side. Cuddihy didn't have a poor game and his defensive work is always good, but everything he tried going forward nearly came off, but ultimately was blocked out by a late touch or tackle. Goodwillie didn't get much of a kick to be honest; another almost but not quite with some of his touches. Boyle really should have started, it's daft having a player with that quality sitting on the bench.

Referee, who I'd never heard of, looked woefully out of his depth.  You get bad referees, good referees and some who just have bad days, but he got so much innocuous stuff wrong today. Letting the 4 get away with a dive trying to get Nicoll sent off was pathetic refereeing.

14 hours ago, David W said:

I can only assume Kipre is rubbish as that was absolutely crying out for a second striker with us having plenty of the ball but not able to pass through Annan.

"He's great in the air, he's strong and he can hold the game up with his strength."

"He's a threat on the counter-attack and he'll complement what we already have."

Lennon on Kipre. If he's rubbish, he's got a great PR man.

I’ve no idea what Kipre is like, however my gut feeling now is either he is so unfit that it is taking till now to even get him to the bench or as I’m beginning to suspect he is actually not very good. I would have thought if he had anything about him Lennon would have given him some game time at some point by now. 

Even chasing a goal against Stirling Albion he still stayed on the bench and Miller came on; no harm to Arron but he is hardly prolific. Time will tell I suppose.

Archived