Forfar Athletic v Ayr United

4 hours ago, bernardblack said:

He could've been struggling after that knock he took.

Regardless, 3/6 points against Raith and Ayr is 3 points more than I thought we'd get.

Ayr are a classy outfit and look like they should win the league now.

In all honesty, if we'd went out and got the players required earlier the league would be over and done with, as it is, it's still all to play for.

• Replies 95
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Thought we were very good today. Forrest, Shankland & Moff all great. Only Kerr, and possibly Geggan not up to scratch for spells but overall, I thought we controlled it easily against a Forfar team I don't think are terribly bad. Dare I say, I think we are hitting form at exactly the right time.

Red card and penalty looked incredibly soft from that angle?

The two directly after looked far more like penalties, although one might have been just outside the box.
Aye that's what I thought. Big shanks is good enough that he doesn't need to dive.

2 hours ago, No_Problemo said:

Red card and penalty looked incredibly soft from that angle?

The two directly after looked far more like penalties, although one might have been just outside the box.

The boy was unlucky but Shankland didn't go down easily when you watch it frame by frame, he's going one way and the boys knee catches him and takes his trailing leg the other way, zero intention from the defender.

2 hours ago, ayrmad said:

The boy was unlucky but Shankland didn't go down easily when you watch it frame by frame, he's going one way and the boys knee catches him and takes his trailing leg the other way, zero intention from the defender.

He pulls Shanklands arm with his left hand that is why it was given.

6 minutes ago, pandarilla said:
9 minutes ago, Buckfast said:
He pulls Shanklands arm with his left hand that is why it was given.

I think you're stretching the English language to call that a pull.

Are you David Blunkett?

Are you David Blunkett?

His hand goes out, and the defender definitely touches him with his hand - but it's not a pull in my opinion.

If I'm being generous I'd say it was an incredibly soft decision. If I'm being honest I think he's chose to go down.

I was there and it was a stone wall penalty. Maybe the camera angle makes it look a bit softer but Shankland was through on the goalie if he had't been brought down. There was no reason for him to go down.

I was there and it was a stone wall penalty. Maybe the camera angle makes it look a bit softer but Shankland was through on the goalie if he had't been brought down. There was no reason for him to go down.

Other than to get a penalty and a red card.

You’re running clear, in on goal.  You feel the earth shaking as the big defender closes in on you. 

“Will I shoot early? Will I take it closer to the goalie ? If I miss this I’m going to look a right diddy.  If I score it’ll end my goal drought (of 1 game duration) and I’ll be a hero. If I feel a touch should I go down? Then I might get a pen and they’ll get a red.  Then again, I might get nothing. Even if we get a pen we might miss it, but at least it’ll be somebody else’s fault. So much to think about.  What the hell do I do?”

Of course, that scenario is somewhat fantastical.  Strikers all seem to agree (as do their managers and team mates) that if you feel a touch you go down.  Makes your decision making much simpler. I’m sure it’s almost instinctive.

I did find it surprising that Moore took the penalty - i'd assumed that Forrest was first choice if he was playing. Think he is the only one of the 4 that have taken any in games this season not to miss

When you’re a striker who has 21 goals and knows they won’t take the penalty and you’re 1 on 1 to make it 2-0, you’re not going down unless you’re made to.
That's just not true.

It's been mentioned already but strikers are now conditioned to go down as soon as there's any contact.

It is simply not the case that shankland was brought down. He felt the slightest of contact and went down.

I was right in line with the 18yard line, the big no.4 clipped shanklands leg as he was pulling away from the two defenders definitely a penalty and as it was a clear goal scoring opportunity the no.4 got the red card. ref was 100 percent correct.

Archived