Playoff Bound United v Play off Bound ICT

18 minutes ago, SandyCromarty said:

How was Austin when he came on?

A couple of nice touches but he didn't really do too much in the time he was on. Main thing was that he didn't get injured I guess.

• Replies 92
  • Created
  • Last Reply
12 minutes ago, RiG said:

A couple of nice touches but he didn't really do too much in the time he was on. Main thing was that he didn't get injured I guess.

From the BBC report and posts on here we could have walked this game if we had had a capable striker.

30 minutes ago, SandyCromarty said:

From the BBC report and posts on here we could have walked this game if we had had a capable striker.

I agree. Oakley was a nuisance to our defence, but I can think of at least two opportunities in the first 20 minutes which he should have scored from.

The McKinnon v Laszlo debate might be best on the main United thread, however since it’s been brought up here my take is they have both been equally bad.

Sarto is spot on, Laszlo was the wrong replacement though I’ll hold my hands up and admit I thought it was a good appointment at the time.

Before Fraser and Fyvie’s injuries he had us playing some excellent football but it’s all gone to hell.

1 hour ago, Granny Danger said:

The McKinnon v Laszlo debate might be best on the main United thread, however since it’s been brought up here my take is they have both been equally bad.

Sarto is spot on, Laszlo was the wrong replacement though I’ll hold my hands up and admit I thought it was a good appointment at the time.

Before Fraser and Fyvie’s injuries he had us playing some excellent football but it’s all gone to hell.

Likewise. Aside from the aberration at Brechin, it was going swimmingly under Laszlo until Fyvie got injured against Livingston just before Christmas. Fraser getting injured the following game didn't help either, but I still think Fyvie was the major one. Everything went through him.

Just now, Sarto Mutiny said:

Likewise. Aside from the aberration at Brechin, it was going swimmingly under Laszlo until Fyvie got injured against Livingston just before Christmas. Fraser getting injured the following game didn't help either, but I still think Fyvie was the major one. Everything went through him.

Totally agree.

But it’s one thing having a drop in form after losing two influential players; it is something else to go from very good to absolute shite.

Add to that his terrible signings and his insistence in playing Mikkelsen as a lone striker.

Horrendous first half, better second. Murdoch, Robson, Quinn and Lewis all horrendous! Robson positional sense is horrible, but worst part is we have no-one else.

Tuesdays game Ralston, McMullan and Fraser MUST start. Would play deniz too but it won’t happen

5 hours ago, Sarto Mutiny said:

I agree. Oakley was a nuisance to our defence, but I can think of at least two opportunities in the first 20 minutes which he should have scored from.

There was one in the first ten minutes where a pass cut the United defence open and Oakley, through on the keeper, essentially passed the ball to the goalkeeper.  Sadly that's him in a nutshell, he does have something about him at times, but he really isn't a finisher.  Like a taller John Baird to some degree.

OK, so I have sobered up enough to post, and I’d better get this done before I get pished again.

The first half yesterday was some of the most abject football I have had the misfortune to witness United play, which given some of the pish we have seen over the past few years, takes some doing. Miles better in the second half when we went (wait for it) 4-4-fucking 2!!!! And we actually could have (undeservedly) nicked it in the end. A couple of excellent saves from Rodgers tbf.

I know I am echoing some others’ thoughts on here, but will do so anyway in the hope it makes me feel better.

Keeper - A huge part of the modern game is the quality of distribution from the keeper, turning a defensive situation into an attacking one in a matter of moments. Lewis was utterly clueless in this departmentyesterday, even when we were chasing the game. I can’t believe how long it took him (every time) to decide what to do with the ball and generally, when he did finally make up his mindm his distribution was horseshit at best.

Full Backs - Utter utter utter crap the pair of them, and if Ralston doesn’t start on Tuesday, The inevitable meltdown on here and in the stands will be more than justified, and he’d be as well jumping on the first train back to Glasgow.

Durnan and Scobbie whist not ideal, are by a mile the best partnership we have just now, And at least they clearly give a f**k.

Quinn can just f**k off. I don’t care how much effort he is giving in training, it is not turning into performances on the pitch, and he should not be anywhere near that midfield, which was demonstrated by the fact that we stopped being overrun in midfield after we took him out of it and threw on a striker instead.

Flood again did what Flood does, and Stanton blew hot and cold throughout, as did King, who went from doing f**k all to trying to do too much at times.

Big Phil (well done for the goal tbf) frustrates the hell out of me. If the ref doesn’t blow, FUCKING GET UP, YOU’RE GETTING f**k ALL!! No point in lying face down in the box, while they are charging up the park, go and fucking help or at least kick something! He did have a decent game in my opinion though, and linked up well with McDonald when he came on.

Was great to see Fraser, and he really made a difference the short time he was on, and Mcmullan looked good too, and there was a lot ore interplay in the second half, with just the final ball or a bit of composure. Missing. If Fraser can stay fit, and refinds the form from earlier in the season, (which we saw during his brief cameo yesterday)  (Big If!!) I reckon 2nd is well within our grasp.

Frustrating as f**k, it was never a corner that lead to their goal, (It was right in front of me). I know we still should have defended it better, but this typifies the unfortunateness of things that seem to happen to us these days. The same linesman flagged for a Goal kick to ICT rather than a corner in the second half when it was a blatant clearing header from their ICT defender. Small things I know but annoying all the same. 

Overall, happy we didn’t lose, and also given the other scores, made little difference to playoff positions, but lost an opportunity to get closer to second which is a shame. 

ETA - Matty Smith did OK (again) and could grow into a decent player, but needs to be in a decent team to do so IMO. (Which we are not)

Archived