Albion Rovers vs Arbroath

• Replies 51
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Very tough conditions but done ok and grinded out a win without playing well.

Thought McKenna played well again and unlucky not to score hitting the post. Wallace won and took pen well. Missed a good chance first half too.

Kader got a goal and a goal saving tackle too. Denholm always dangerous, his effort that led to the rebound for the goal.

Martin/Whatley and Swanks all put a shift in, Swankie unlucky not to score great tackle from Albion though.

Back 3 comfortable enough considering and Gomes the same, although a few bad kicks thanks to the wind and bobbly pitch.

All in all a good result, only 2 players in that Albion team that seemed like they wanted to play was the captain in centre mid and Trouten. Albion goal looks like it came from a weird decision too.

1 hour ago, 1320Lichtie said:

Very tough conditions but done ok and grinded out a win without playing well.

Thought McKenna played well again and unlucky not to score hitting the post. Wallace won and took pen well. Missed a good chance first half too.

Kader got a goal and a goal saving tackle too. Denholm always dangerous, his effort that led to the rebound for the goal.

Martin/Whatley and Swanks all put a shift in, Swankie unlucky not to score great tackle from Albion though.

Back 3 comfortable enough considering and Gomes the same, although a few bad kicks thanks to the wind and bobbly pitch.

All in all a good result, only 2 players in that Albion team that seemed like they wanted to play was the captain in centre mid and Trouten. Albion goal looks like it came from a weird decision too.

Good to get a decent summary for those of us who were unable to attend the game than read somebody just abusing/slagging off a player who plays for the team he seemingly supports!!

Great result at a difficult venue, the only time i have ever seen a Red Lichtie team play well at the horrible venue was back in Baikies day when Brian "Geo" Grant and Billy Spence scored.

Well done the Lichties.

Awful conditions, absolutely Baltic, but deserved to win, Thought we controlled the game well enough, Scott Martin is absolutely phenomenal, Also much happier with Gomes starting, Hopefully Swankie and McKenna aren’t injured now too or squad will be really stretched 

Better team won though not much in it. Clever play from Wallace to draw the penalty which decided the match. I haven't made as many games this season as I usually would but every time I've seen the Rovers, we've had a handful of starters who quite simply aren't League 1 players. Today, we were a one man team. Trouten probably can't wait for the end of this season to go somewhere we're he can play alongside a few players who are on his level. Brian Kerr is getting some stick on the Rovers message board. For me, his biggest mistake was allowing the Dunlops to leave.

Better team won though not much in it. Clever play from Wallace to draw the penalty which decided the match. I haven't made as many games this season as I usually would but every time I've seen the Rovers, we've had a handful of starters who quite simply aren't League 1 players. Today, we were a one man team. Trouten probably can't wait for the end of this season to go somewhere we're he can play alongside a few players who are on his level. Brian Kerr is getting some stick on the Rovers message board. For me, his biggest mistake was allowing the Dunlops to leave.

Had a wee nosey at that. A lot of digs at us, someone saying QP and Forfar would’ve taken care of us, pretty sure QP and Forfar haven’t taken a single point off us in the 7 games we’ve played this season. Also some saying Wallace dived, he was flattened by the big centre half, it was clever of him going for the ball the way he did but it was never ever a dive.

We were poor today, but that was due to the pitch and weather more than anything, surely the sign of a good team being able to grind out results in conditions like those, especially from a goal down.

1 hour ago, Bold Rover said:

'The Dunlops' had already decided to move before Kerr was appointed. Anyway, who cares. All over now. Oh and Wallace gets 6/6 for his penalty. 

4 minutes ago, Shawheadrover said:

'The Dunlops' had already decided to move before Kerr was appointed. Anyway, who cares. All over now. Oh and Wallace gets 6/6 for his penalty. 

I'm not an insider so I could be wrong, but my understanding is that Kerr told Mick Dunlop he wouldn't be offering him terms for this season, and Ross followed him out the door. It was an open secret that Kerr would succeed Young, long before the latter's departure. Kerr thought he could get better than Mick to marshal the defence but failed so to do and that has been this season's biggest problem. For the penalty today, what I saw was Wallace nudge the ball before getting clattered. The referee was well placed and was in no doubt.

Didn’t look a dive to me, any win in those conditions is a bonus and we probably did enough to merit the 3 points.

probably another couple of wins should seal the play off spot, really hoping we can push on and finish 3rd.

13 minutes ago, scillybirder said:

Be interested to see the footage of the ref giving Albion a corner just before the goal

Did the assistant consider that Gomes carried the ball behind he line? That's the only thing I can think of.

A solid win in atrocious conditions. The combination of a hard, bumpy pitch and high wind meant that any controlled football on the ground or in the air was impossible. Scott Martin again a stand out. Kerr must have been impressed as the youngster is reminiscent of Brian in his heyday.

It’s great having Ricky back in the goal, seems to command the area a lot better than Hutton. Yesterday was overall a stinking game of football. Scott Martin ran the show in the middle of the park and absolutely deserved man of the match. Even tho Wallace got the winner I thought he struggled again yesterday. It wouldn’t be the worst idea to replace him with McIntosh next week. I really like Albion and hope they stay up this season. The fans in the wee bar were friendly and welcoming. See you again on the 27th

Thought the 15-20 min period after half time swung it for Arbroath, definitely did enough to win the game. Definite penalty for me, a clumsy tackle from Mbayo- a few Rovers fans have questioned it more I think out of frustration at where the team is and more importantly where we appear to be heading.

That’s the second time in a week that we have taken the lead and failed to capitalise and in the end we looked like a team that is already relegated. It’s hard to see a way back for this team.

Can’t believe there is any talk over the penalty, absolute stonewaller, It actually looked like the lino flagged for a goal kick and it was the ref that gave the corner after he realised the linesman has flagged for the ball being out of play, 

Also very disappointed in hammy yesterday, he had a few opportunities to do his party trick but didn’t, poor stuff

Archived