Scottish Cup 1/4's and 6yh round tie.

Dipple burn

• Replies 84
  • Created
  • Last Reply

This is the thing about the Scottish. It's all well and good for folk to disparage the achievement of winning it by saying you can get weak opponents all the way to the final, but the only way to do that is to actually beat them when they're put in front of you! 

That spell of defending from Wishaw whilst still at 1-0, when just about every Rabs player had a shot at goal will stick in my mind for a while.

Worthy winners and very well done. Good to witness a bit of history.

That spell of defending from Wishaw whilst still at 1-0, when just about every Rabs player had a shot at goal will stick in my mind for a while.
Worthy winners and very well done. Good to witness a bit of history.

Good luck guys in the semi
Fae all at Larkhall Thistle

22 hours ago, ForzaWishy said:

I'm sure the Hurlford v Bo'ness replay will be the more heavyweight battle this weekend but for me the magic of the cup will be encapsulated in this game. I've been going to Wishy matches for 38 years now (thankfully only a small proportion over that time) and through the 1980s and 90s when the side were rooted to the bottom of the Central League the bright spots (and certainly what kept me going) were the Junior Cup games like the marathon 3rd Round tie against Musselburgh that first got me interested and a win at Livingston a couple of years later that paved the way for the biggest crowd I ever saw at old Recreation Ground when Wishy played Armadale Thistle (stuffed again!) in the 4th Round. All credit to the local people who turned things around when the club were homeless and on their uppers and since 2002 it's been great to see the progress made culminating in promotion  4 years ago and coming so close to going up again in 2016. For me though, the magical memories have still come in the Cup, fighting back from 3 down against Hill of Beath in a replay at Wishy Sports Centre in 2004 (only to lose on penalties) and then revenge (30 odd years on) against Armadale when knocking them out on penalties 2 seasons ago. Despite a monsoon on the way back to the station there (it's qute a long walk from the ground) and being soaked to the skin for the next few hours I was deliriously happy.  To see Wishaw reach the quarter-finals is really the high point of all these years and whatever happens tomorrow (Rob Roy should be far too good, but I thought the same before the Cumnock game last season) I'd like to congratulate all concerned with the club for creating this little bit of history.  I see they have discovered it was 1938 the last time Wishy made the quarters (50 years after the champagne supernova in Kenilworth Avenue fountain when Wishy Thistle brought the trophy home), with the recent progress let's hope it's not another 80 year wait for the next one!

Anyway, living a fair distance from the spiritual home, I have to set off for the game at 6.30 in the morning, it's great to feel excitement building and I just hope the match does justice to the occasion. To me this is what the Cup's all about and I look forward to seeing a bumper crowd (just hope I get in!) at the Beltane tomorrow.

C'MOAN WISHY, ONCE IN A LIFETIME!

What a great post. I hope you are having a fantastic evening.  

On behalf of everyone at Wishaw High School FPs I would like to congratulate ALL at Wishaw Juniors on a superb result and achievement on reaching the semi Finals of the Scottish Junior Cup. Lets hope the run and the dream continues no matter who they get in the Semis. All the best lads. Always BELIEVE.

Bit of a coincidence that Kirky lost the QFs to the smallest team (no offence Wishy) left in the cup - the same thing happened to KRR back in 2011(?) when they lost 3-1 down at Dalry in the same stage.

Not sure but guessing Wishaw are the biggest shock to make the semis since Dalry?

18 hours ago, Glenconner said:

Wishaw 2 Kirkintilloch Rob Roy 0

Talk about history makers. Springtime in Craigneuk. They'll be dancing on the Main St tonight. Massive shout out to the Wishaw folks. Forget the semi final, just spend the next few days allowing it all to seep in, lads. You walk among Giants.

And in a nice twist I understand Paul Burns made an appearance as a player for Wishaw. Can only be his 2nd or 3rd of the whole season. His experience must have paid of. Good for him personally.

13 hours ago, Dindeleux said:

Bit of a coincidence that Kirky lost the QFs to the smallest team (no offence Wishy) left in the cup - the same thing happened to KRR back in 2011(?) when they lost 3-1 down at Dalry in the same stage.

Not sure but guessing Wishaw are the biggest shock to make the semis since Dalry?

Was thinking the same.  Your shocks of this magnitude are usually an early round thing but this is right at the pointy end of the tournament. 

KRR seem to be serial victims of it. 

I remember that game. I’m sure Darren Henderson was the Dalry coach at the time.

Archived