Mike Tyson

• Replies 485
  • Created
  • Last Reply

When it comes to Tyson, there's hardly any other boxer I have seen so deadly in the ring. Maybe there are better boxers than him but he was a class of his own. However, his troubled life and drug abuse led to a lot of trouble for him.

On 4/7/2018 at 22:38, Stinky Bone said:

I have to disagree with some of this.  Boxers generally have a love of the sport and have a good understanding of the history, watching old videos and reading books etc.  I would say someone that has experienced being in a boxing ring has a far greater understanding of the sport than you know.  

As for the current affairs, I do agree with you on that.  I have become disillusioned in recent years and not followed it the same.  

Some do, some don't. Big AJ for example has recently talked about how he didn't know much about boxing history and hadn't really watched any of the greats (but is ow getting more into it). 

10 minutes ago, Shandon Par said:

Some do, some don't. Big AJ for example has recently talked about how he didn't know much about boxing history and hadn't really watched any of the greats (but is ow getting more into it). 

Tyson's managers as a kid actually owned the rights to every championship fight ever bar one that Cuba refused to release or something.  I heard him say it in an interview, or they owned the hard copies or whatever. 

Point is he had ready access  to all of them in a way nobody else basically in the world did, he had them all literally to hand all the time. 

Anyway no doubt helped him become such a student of the sport.

3 minutes ago, Shandon Par said:

Tyson has a deep love for the history of boxing. He used to watch archive footage of all the past great with Cus D'mato.....which aparently he still watches (obviously not with D'mato though!)

Good article in the link below from a few years back about Tyson: Paints a very different picture of the man

https://www.google.com/amp/s/amp.theguardian.com/sport/2002/jun/16/boxing.theobserver

Archived