Mike Tyson

• Replies 485
  • Created
  • Last Reply
12 hours ago, Dominique Malonga said:

Good post to be fair. Ali’s mental strength and strength of character is something Tyson was seriously lacking. I think the only thing that stopped Tyson really fulfilling his potential was himself.

I would have loved to have seen how Ali would have dealt with 1986-89 Iron Mike Tyson. It wound have been some fight.

There are similarities in styles between Tyson (86-89) and Joe Frazier whom Ali struggled with (lost 1st time round and very nearly did again in Manila) but styles make fights......just look how George Foreman easily dispatched Frazier.

A peak Foreman with his reach and heavy hands would light Tysons eyes up in a similar way to Fraziers IMO. 

Most overrated boxer in history imo. Looked great knocking over the tomato cans right enough but what were his best wins? A past it Larry Holmes? Light heavy Spinks? Losing to the likes of Douglas and Holyfield should certainly rule him out of being regarded as the greatest. 

5 hours ago, RR #1 said:

Most overrated boxer in history imo. Looked great knocking over the tomato cans right enough but what were his best wins? A past it Larry Holmes? Light heavy Spinks? Losing to the likes of Douglas and Holyfield should certainly rule him out of being regarded as the greatest. 

Would agree.

You get the 'prime Tyson would have...' excuse but actual great heavyweights like Ali and Foreman came back after their prime and won belts against high calibre boxers.

Not only did Tyson lose to every competent top tier boxer he fought, the 'prime' Tyson also struggled against half decent 2nd tier boxers.  Guys like Bonecrusher Smith, Tony Tucker, Razor Ruddock all took Tyson the distance. 

Tyson had some excellent attributes as a boxer but he's nowhere near the true greats.  Was there any Tyson fight that a David Tua or a Riddick Bowe wouldn't have won in similar fashion?

On 27/03/2018 at 20:00, Dominique Malonga said:

Good post to be fair. Ali’s mental strength and strength of character is something Tyson was seriously lacking. I think the only thing that stopped Tyson really fulfilling his potential was himself.

I would have loved to have seen how Ali would have dealt with 1986-89 Iron Mike Tyson. It wound have been some fight.

Indeed it would have been. Tyson himself though accepts and freely admits that prime Ali beats prime Tyson hands down.

Tyson might have had his flaws but by feck, me and about95% of boxing fans at the time  loved seeing him fight. I missed many an hours sleep having a late night waiting to watch his fights. 

Archived