Mike Tyson

• Replies 485
  • Created
  • Last Reply
2 hours ago, Peppino Impastato said:

At his best.  Mohammed Ali agrees with me btw.

Tyson doesn't. Tyson has said on numerous occasions that Ali was the greatest of all time and that he'd have stood absolutely no chance against him. This is just one example of that, beginning at the 4 minute mark:

2 minutes ago, J_Stewart said:

Tyson doesn't. Tyson has said on numerous occasions that Ali was the greatest of all time and that he'd have stood absolutely no chance against him. This is just one example of that, beginning at the 4 minute mark:

That's true, he's very modest he said that many times.  But becoming heavyweight champion is scaling the mountain, and Tyson got to the top before anybody else.  If these other guys were better than him why did it take them longer?

12 minutes ago, Peppino Impastato said:

That's true, he's very modest he said that many times.  But becoming heavyweight champion is scaling the mountain, and Tyson got to the top before anybody else.  If these other guys were better than him why did it take them longer?

Tyson turned pro considerably earlier than the majority of all-time great heavyweights. The likes of Ali, Frazier, Foreman, Lewis, Klitschko's, etc all went to the Olympics, Tyson never did.

Turning that round though, if Tyson is the greatest heavyweight of all time, why did he never recapture his belt after losing to Holyfield, and why did he never win a meaningful fight after the age of 30 when all those listed above fought and won fights at the very top level years after their 30th birthday?

Early Tyson is a great watch, and he was clearly ferocious, but his level of competition at his peak wasn't all that up to much, and his peak came and left far too early. A top 15 Heavyweight of all time certainly, but doesn't have a record to equate to he very best.

Why are people still arguing with Supras? He’s been at it for weeks in Misc football.

Generally I can't be at all fucked with Trolls, but I find Peppino's  "say something; become furious with the responses; say gradually more ridiculous things"  brand of trolling absolutely fascinating. I'm not convinced it's Supras, but fair play if it is. Mental in all the right places.

2 minutes ago, J_Stewart said:

Tyson turned pro considerably earlier than the majority of all-time great heavyweights. The likes of Ali, Frazier, Foreman, Lewis, Klitschko's, etc all went to the Olympics, Tyson never did.

Turning that round though, if Tyson is the greatest heavyweight of all time, why did he never recapture his belt after losing to Holyfield, and why did he never win a meaningful fight after the age of 30 when all those listed above fought and won fights at the very top level years after their 30th birthday?

Early Tyson is a great watch, and he was clearly ferocious, but his level of competition at his peak wasn't all that up to much, and his peak came and left far too early. A top 15 Heavyweight of all time certainly, but doesn't have a record to equate to he very best.

Quite a reasonable post.  I think you have to look at his life for those answers and would encourage you to read his biography.  He was properly did up for most of his career, it was only the beginning where he was relatively in control.

Also interesting fact related to that the night he became heavyweight champion in 86 he was being treated for gonhorrea.

The best thing about this thread is that several P&Bers have a much greater appreciation of and interest in boxing than Peppy does. Peppy seems to be a microcosm of a problem found in large parts of American society (and permeating here, and something I'm guilty of myself by defining something as broad as "American society" through 'things I've seen personally on the internet,' as if I can know a 300 million+ populace that easily) in that he thinks a thing, spends a cursory glance at some sources of varying repute backing up what he thinks, then proudly proclaiming to the world that he's right. In this case, somewhat more angrily than usual, but it's the same principle.

We've seen this with him in other threads (I'm still waiting for his ten minute google research to tell us if the school shooting in Florida last month actually happened or not) and as much as it's entertaining, it's quite worrying that there are grown adults in the world who carry on like this.

On the other hand, when you're arguing about a subject where both @The Chlamydia Kid and @Oleksandr could both comfortably run rings around you, you're probably past the point of having enough self-awareness to pack it in.

3 minutes ago, Miguel Sanchez said:

The best thing about this thread is that several P&Bers have a much greater appreciation of and interest in boxing than Peppy does. Peppy seems to be a microcosm of a z,wz,zwwz,w,az,w,w,,,,as,,,wszw,s found in large parts of American society (and permeating here, and something I'm guilty of myself by defining something as broad as "American society" througha, I've seen personally on the internet,' as if I can know a 300 million+ populace that easily) in that he thinks a thing, spends a cursory glance at some sources of varying repute backing up what he thinks, then proudly proclaiming to the world that he's right. In this case, somewhat more angrily than usual, but it's the same principle.

We've seen this with him in other threads (I'm still waiting for his ten minute google research to tell us if the school shooting in Florida last month actually happened or not) and as much as it's entertaining, it's quite worrying that there are grown adults in the world who carry on like this.

On the other hand, when you're arguing about a subject where both @The Chlamydia Kid and @Oleksandr could both comfortably run rings around you, you're probably past the point of having enough self-awareness to pack it in.

I never made any comments about the Florida shooting and have been interested in Tyson and Ali for thirty years.

What you've done is invented a scenario then made a big wanky post about it.

Quite a reasonable post.  I think you have to look at his life for those answers and would encourage you to read his biography.  He was properly did up for most of his career, it was only the beginning where he was relatively in control.
Also interesting fact related to that the night he became heavyweight champion in 86 he was being treated for gonhorrea.
Yeah we get it mate, you have read his autobiography. You still know the square root of f**k all about boxing.

6 hours ago, Peppino Impastato said:

Lol you're an idiot.  This is why I'm not even bothering to point out the relevant info, it's wasted anyway.

Point the sources out to me then. I did some cursory checking and didn't see anything as conclusive as you say.

Archived