Livingston v Falkirk: Episode 6 (The Juggernauting)

• Replies 238
  • Created
  • Last Reply
11 minutes ago, LIVIFOREVER said:

Or that we've played one another 6 times and Falkirk came to play for a draw. Games at TFS certainly weren't as poor, and our 4-1 win over St Mirren wasn't either, so the shows how poor the league is chat is nonsense. All leagues have games like this, never going to get a great game of football in bitter cold windy weather on a cut up pitch either, poor patter from you. We're 2nd on merit and have proven ourselves a match for teams in the Premiership too, I fancy our chances in the play offs.

I think the league is pretty pish poor this season to be honest. Thats not to detract from Livi as you are totally correct in saying they are there on merit. It's not often a league lies. The quality hasn't been great though has it. I think thats fair comment. 

As for the playoffs, after some bitter experience of it, I am now of the mind that a Championship side will only go up via the playoffs if they meet a Prem side who are totally in meltdown. Luckily for you Dundee look to be capable of that, but even still, when Hamilton went up they had a top manager, and they met a Hibs side who seemed utterly determined to chuck it. 

In the last two seasons, Dundee Utd barely managed to keep everyone awake as they lost to Hamilton, and we got to within 90 minutes of glory before being absolutely bitched by Killie. I genuinely don't fancy and Championship team in the playoffs, and that will likely include us next season if we fail to have a decent go at the title and scrape into playoffs again.

The reality of it is, a good but not great St Mirren side have absolutely cruised it this season and the rest are pretty shite. It is true that of the rest, Livingston deserve by far the most credit. Just don't think it will count for much come May. 

Guest Back Post Misses
Or that we've played one another 6 times and Falkirk came to play for a draw. Games at TFS certainly weren't as poor, and our 4-1 win over St Mirren wasn't either, so the shows how poor the league is chat is nonsense. All leagues have games like this, never going to get a great game of football in bitter cold windy weather on a cut up pitch either, poor patter from you. We're 2nd on merit and have proven ourselves a match for teams in the Premiership too, I fancy our chances in the play offs.

You have failed to score against us in 270 minutes at your own ground.

You won’t go up. In fact you won’t win the Championship part of the play offs.

14 minutes ago, Bairnardo said:

I think the league is pretty pish poor this season to be honest. Thats not to detract from Livi as you are totally correct in saying they are there on merit. It's not often a league lies. The quality hasn't been great though has it. I think thats fair comment. 

As for the playoffs, after some bitter experience of it, I am now of the mind that a Championship side will only go up via the playoffs if they meet a Prem side who are totally in meltdown. Luckily for you Dundee look to be capable of that, but even still, when Hamilton went up they had a top manager, and they met a Hibs side who seemed utterly determined to chuck it. 

In the last two seasons, Dundee Utd barely managed to keep everyone awake as they lost to Hamilton, and we got to within 90 minutes of glory before being absolutely bitched by Killie. I genuinely don't fancy and Championship team in the playoffs, and that will likely include us next season if we fail to have a decent go at the title and scrape into playoffs again.

The reality of it is, a good but not great St Mirren side have absolutely cruised it this season and the rest are pretty shite. It is true that of the rest, Livingston deserve by far the most credit. Just don't think it will count for much come May. 

14 minutes ago, Bairnardo said:

Yea, I think the standard is worsening year on year TBH.

I do think however that Livingston have the best chance of those likely to be in the playoffs due to the way they play. They don't really try to do anything they can't and tend to keep it simple but effective. It's been mainly route 1 football any time I've seen them which is fine because they're good at it. I can see why Hopkin wanted Miller. I actually think they'd have a better chance against the premier team than St Mirren would.

Guest Back Post Misses
Yea, I think the standard is worsening year on year TBH.
I do think however that Livingston have the best chance of those likely to be in the playoffs due to the way they play. They don't really try to do anything they can't and tend to keep it simple but effective. It's been mainly route 1 football any time I've seen them which is fine because they're good at it. I can see why Hopkin wanted Miller. I actually think they'd have a better chance against the premier team than St Mirren would.

Not for me.

Remind me of Houston’s team that got shafted at Kilmarnock. Lack anyone with real class. The Premiership team will win the play off again. Convinced of it

2 minutes ago, Back Post Misses said:

Not for me.

Remind me of Houston’s team that got shafted at Kilmarnock. Lack anyone with real class. The Premiership team will win the play off again. Convinced of it

I don't disagree, there isn't much quality in there and, yes, it's likely that the Premier team will triumph over two legs, particularly in the way that the playoffs are structured in their favour. I just think that, of the teams in there, they would have the best chance of progressing. They're nowhere near as soft as Houstie's team was either.

I'd fancy Livingston's chances against a freefalling Dundee, Ross County or Partick. I see no reason why they can't do it. A resurgent Dundee Utd might cause them problems but that's assuming they'll improve significantly and I think Hopkin is savvy enough to deal with Lazlo. People seem to be casting doubts over Livingston's quality as they did in previous years with Hamilton, Ross County & Dundee. They are second top because they're a decent side.

We're currently about the same level as Houston's team from this time last year so we should be optimistic about a title challenge next season. 

Not much to say about the game: Muirhead & Grant decent; keeper shits it from crosses; Nelson no composure; Longridge one man show; same old. Hartley simply doesn't have options to deal with Livingston at this time.

Pretty awful game , not much in at all but we probably edged it , Lee Miller nearly won it at end. Pittman should have scored chance in second half. Both teams cancelled each other out , Declan Gallagher doesn’t work in midfield for me. I know he’s in there to win headers and tackles but he doesn’t look comfortable , he done ok though. Good point in the end considering other results 

38 minutes ago, Back Post Misses said:

You have failed to score against us in 270 minutes at your own ground.

You won’t go up. In fact you won’t win the Championship part of the play offs.

I think you'll find most Livi fans are delighted just to stay up. Everything else is a bonus.

Falkirk on the other hand. :lol:

4 minutes ago, orco said:

I think you'll find most Livi fans are delighted just to stay up. Everything else is a bonus.

Falkirk on the other hand. :lol:

I think at this stage, it's a bit silly to say that. Almost a full season has gone by and you now have playoffs to contend with. To claim at this point you are happy just to stay up is obviously shite.

Think it’s stating the obvious to say that the standard has dropped in the Championship. Of course it has!
The top end opposition of the last few seasons has included Rangers, Hearts and Hibs. Consequently, more revenue was dropping into the division that’s no longer available.
The standard ain’t going to get any higher either so really teams need to make their exit upstairs fairly sharpish or almost eternally find themselves in the mire...

There's certainly no pressure on this Livingston side from the fans with regards to the play-offs; orco's right in that most fans would have been more than happy with staying up this season, and consolidating in mid table at a push. I think all but a few predicted a crazy run like this, let alone one that has culminated us sitting in 2nd with a degree of comfort. Realistically, as detailed above to superb detail, the odds are heavily stacked against any Championship side in the play-offs, let alone a bunch of overachievers like ourselves - it's not guaranteed we'll be extending our season beyond the end of April, but it's looking likely with every passing week, and I think most Livi fans are just excited to see where it takes us.

Unless we make a monumental c**t of an individual match/tie, I certainly won't be berating the squad or management for wherever this season ends for us. It's made a mighty refreshing change from constantly worrying about off-field drama coupled with the inevitable relegation scrap that goes with it - as I said previously, it's a measure of how both sides' seasons are going that I'm disappointed to only take a point from Falkirk at home. I'm sure "normal" service will resume next season, but for now I'm just enjoying the upper echelons of this division. :thumsup2

42 minutes ago, Reggie Perrin said:

This might have been a relevant post last September.

Firstly great name bud; I loved the Leonard Rossiter portrayal of the character 

Anyway back to football; I think most Livi fans are really happy over the past couple of years where we've been winning more games than we've actually been using; that's not been the case for at least most of the last 15 years. Actually I understand we need to get one more point to beat our highest ever points tally in the championship since we were demoted from the SPL.

The problem is that IF  we qualified for the playoffs and in the event we ended up getting promoted then we'd have to get used to losing again and probably losing a lot. Say what you like about the quality of the championship at least there are a number of clubs within a similar level and almost anyone can at least hope to win the league; that's not an option for most in the Premier league.

That being said the differences in finances in the premier bear little resemblance to that in the championship; if St Mirren win the league (they almost certainly will) they will get about £450k compared to £900k + for finishing 10th - do you opt for a shite season in the premiership to fill the coffers?

One of the biggest problems with the championship in my opinion is not that we're all shite but that we keep ending up playing the same old faces up to six times (or more) a season.

I suppose we did okay against Partick in the Shitefred cup though:  

1 hour ago, ShaggerG said:

I don't disagree, there isn't much quality in there and, yes, it's likely that the Premier team will triumph over two legs, particularly in the way that the playoffs are structured in their favour. I just think that, of the teams in there, they would have the best chance of progressing. They're nowhere near as soft as Houstie's team was either.

Yep, BPM is talking pish, sour grapes if you ask me.

We've competed with Hibs and Partick Thistle already this season, dodgy ref done us against Hibs but still put 2 past them which is more than Hearts have done all season. We've a bit of grit in our team that would compete well in the play offs, reckon we've a good chance of taking the Premiership team.

Archived