Motherwell v Aberdeen Scottish Cup Semi Final

welldaft

Guest Bob Mahelp

I doubt if there'll be a huge amount of excitement around this game. Semi-finals are not unusual for us these days.

Piss awful Saturday lunchtime KO, on council telly, and with respect to Motherwell not opponents to make make people stand out overnight for a match ticket.

I would reckon on 12K, tops. Motherwell will probably move half that.

So......yaaaaawn....another sub-20K crowdat Hampden, and another 90 minutes of being able to shout from the north stand to your mate in the south stand so he can give you a wave.

• Replies 620
  • Created
  • Last Reply
3 hours ago, tarapoa said:

I can only presume you mean Chidi Nwakali, who is Nigerian (not far from Japan).

Aye, you're bang on there.  I remember being in Lagos a couple of years back.  The 8:42 express to Tokyo Central was an absolute life saver.

1 hour ago, Bob Mahelp said:

I doubt if there'll be a huge amount of excitement around this game. Semi-finals are not unusual for us these days.

Piss awful Saturday lunchtime KO, on council telly, and with respect to Motherwell not opponents to make make people stand out overnight for a match ticket.

So......yaaaaawn....another sub-20K crowdat Hampden, and another 90 minutes of being able to shout from the north stand to your mate in the south stand so he can give you a wave.

:o

1/ Maybe so, but you shouldn't take things for granted. When I started supporting the Dons we could seldom get out of the League Cup group, never mind reach a semi-final. Scottish Cup semi-finals were thin on the ground too.

2/ Maybe they would say the same about us...

2 hours ago, Bob Mahelp said:

Lets not forget we have already been in a Semi final and indeed final this season. Cannae mind who we beat en route mind you..............

Who in Scotland would Aberdeen fans stand overnight for a ticket - Cove Rangers ?  Trust me I am delighted we are playing Aberdeen and NOT Rangers or Celtic.  

My own opinion FWIW is that both teams have a much better chance of winning this game than were it Celtic or need I remind Aberdeen this season - Rangers !

If that does not help shift a few more tickets then I am not sure what will.

We took 7500 to League Cup semi v Rangers.  Now it was the 1st for a wee while but it was live on telly + Scottish Cup is a more prestigious trophy.

In saying all that I don't expect up to take any more than 7500.  Aberdeen should be capable of shifting 12k + ? 

We could just break into the 20,000+ crowd.

I think our normal semi-final crowd, going by recent seasons, is around 12-14K.  

Last year it was 12K vs Hibs - but that was our third Hampden visit of the season.   Hibs had more than us there last season, whereas a few years back, the same fixture had 14K each.

This time round, and helped if we pick up our form over next few matches, maybe a few more will be a bit more up for this one.

I don't mind the early k.o. as it's an excuse to stay the Friday night in Glasgow and have a few late drinks in the residents bar with fellow dandies........

45 minutes ago, Gianfranco said:

Hopefully the winner of this also wins in May. If we get through that will be the fourth final vs one of them in my lifetime as a Motherwell fan.

Fucking Inverness got Falkirk. Lucky b*****ds.

In fairness they did have to beat Celtic in the Semis so it wasn't plain sailing for them, but yeah, I take your point.

It appears Aberdeen have indeed been allocated the West Stand so that means we'll be at the Toryglen end which surprises me given the geography - we are further west than Aberdeen - but at least that ensures a shorter bus drive for our support. Hopefully we'll be sitting in that same end for the final too. :)

33 minutes ago, MJC said:

In fairness they did have to beat Celtic in the Semis so it wasn't plain sailing for them, but yeah, I take your point.

It appears Aberdeen have indeed been allocated the West Stand so that means we'll be at the Toryglen end which surprises me given the geography - we are further west than Aberdeen - but at least that ensures a shorter bus drive for our support. Hopefully we'll be sitting in that same end for the final too. :)

Aye, but their fans were taking down Celtic players in the box, so it was fairly plain sailing after all...

On 15/03/2018 at 08:38, MJC said:

Apart from that it's a Scottish Cup Semi Final and it SHOULD be Hampden, no debate.

Utter and complete pish. The semis shouldn't be at Hampden if it can possibly be avoided. Leave it for the final.

Incredible that the SFA and SPFL open their cheeks for TV but are happy to have a half-empty stadium on a Saturday lunchtime. It won't matter to people who already care about the game but will be dreadful at attracting new viewers.

What’s with charging SEVEN pounds postage to those who can’t get to the ticket office ???

Thirty quid for ticket, 15 quid for my 8 year old. To sit in a half full stadium at best.

What’s with charging SEVEN pounds postage to those who can’t get to the ticket office ???

Thirty quid for ticket, 15 quid for my 8 year old. To sit in a half full stadium at best.

It’s because hampden is a dump and don’t offer a reprint service if the ticket gets lost.

So your ticket will be sent recorded delivery and you have to bare the cost!

On 15/03/2018 at 08:38, MJC said:

Apart from that it's a Scottish Cup Semi Final and it SHOULD be Hampden, no debate. 

Why should a Scottish semi-final be there? What's the actual reasoning other than you personally liking the stadium?

The sensible decision is to hold this game elsewhere.

On 15/03/2018 at 19:35, DrewDon said:

Yes. I'm sure we did against St. Johnstone in 2013/14 too, although that was at Ibrox rather than Hampden. 

I think we're at the point where fans are feeling like they're being shafted every year with these lunchtime kick-offs at Hampden, and are just let going, and why should they when the game is on TV.

When it was our first semi-final in eight years or we hadn't won a trophy in 19 years, you were more inclined to go than a sixth semi-final under McInnes.

Archived