Motherwell v Aberdeen Scottish Cup Semi Final

welldaft

I was in today and the answer was "steady". Not sure if that's much of an indication but I got the impression they had expected it to be busier.

• Replies 620
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Anything less than what we took v **** in League Cup semi would be disappointing and perplexing. If I recall around 7000+ for a lesser tournament v uglier opposition. 

Still a few days to go but looks like we may struggle to shift 7000 - which is still almost 200% of our core home support. Equivalent of Aberdeen shifting 20,000 tickets. 

I also am not stressed by this game. Want to win very much so but were we to lose all the best to Aberdeen v one of the ugly twins. As long as it is not controversial and/ or last minute. If Aberdeen turn up and play to their capabilities they are still favourites to win. 

What is the latest from Aberdeen for tickets sold - any Dons fan in the know ?

14 hours ago, dirtydave said:

Around 5700 i heard yesterday.

13 hours ago, Frank Grimes said:

That’s a bit shite lads 

Its 12 miles away 

Our average home crowd is around 3500 to 4000.

We can't just invent fans because we're playing in a big stadium*

* Except in a final against Celtic & Rangers.  I love how it boils their piss that we stroll in and get 15,000 tickets for the showpiece.

I'm not really in to crowd stuff - but FWIW, I think we'll have the same support as we did in the LC Semi (which was decent enough) - the difference is that this time, it will be rattling round a half empty hampden...

On 10/04/2018 at 09:19, Desp said:

I wonder if the league game against Aberdeen last week will have any influence on Robinson going into this.  Playing Bowman didn't really work.  He didn't have the ability or presence to get the better of Arnasson or McKenna.   So, I have a feeling he'll start with Ciftci if he's passed fit - albeit it's a worry he hasn't played in a month and wasn't the fittest before that either.  However, I'd give him an hour from the start in the hope he can create something to get us in front. 

The midfield three will be interesting, and I've got a feeling he'll get Andy Rose in the team somehow.  My thinking on the starting XI;

Carson

Kipré  Aldred  Dunne

Cadden  Bigirimana  Campbell  Rose  Tait

Ciftci  Main 

Like the team but swap Bigi for Frear.  Move Tait to the right, Frear to the Left and Cadden inside.   

Guest Bob Mahelp

I haven't felt so Meeh about a semi-final since the rip-roaring fun that was the League Cup semi against Morton.

What do we reckon:

Lewis

Ball Arnason McKenna Considine 

Chidi O'Connor

McGinn Christie GMS

May

It's basically five centre backs and a CDM with four attackers bolted on. Nobody there's going to link defence and attack. Might be worth playing Harvie or someone to at least have a hint of full back? 

3 hours ago, RussellAnderson said:

What do we reckon:

Lewis

Ball Arnason McKenna Considine 

Chidi O'Connor

McGinn Christie GMS

May

It's basically five centre backs and a CDM with four attackers bolted on. Nobody there's going to link defence and attack. Might be worth playing Harvie or someone to at least have a hint of full back? 

Ideally, I would prefer Ball in midfield as he is less cumbersome than O'Connor and more comfortable at taking the ball on the turn. However, given our lack of options at right-back, that is probably our best available XI. 

I do have major concerns about  O'Connor and a half-fit Nwakali in midfield, but I can't see an obviously better alternative at this stage. I'd imagine Arnason and McKenna will be playing plenty long punts up to May and into the channels, especially due to McLean's absence. 

On 11/04/2018 at 09:18, Gianfranco said:

The almost completely empty Hampden vs St. Johnstone was a magic day out. The atmosphere will be fine.

The atmosphere in our support that day in 2011 was superb, even though we were well spaced out across three stands, though us roaring into a 3-0 1st half lead undoubtedly helped.

Compare and contrast that to the 2011 final a month later, we had a 16,000 allocation and the majority of them sat on their hands admiring the Celtic support who were outsinging them. Again the performance, the result bring reversed from the semi and the weather didn't help matters but the 5-7k who were at the St Johnstone semi easily made a better atmosphere than the 16k who went to the final against Celtic. 

Archived