Motherwell v Aberdeen Scottish Cup Semi Final

welldaft

7 hours ago, Squirrelhumper said:

Would you? Do Aberdeen take a note of the barcodes./ticket numbers for every away game they allocate tickets for?

I know our turnstiles have barcodes and are scanned on entry but I'm pretty sure we don't issue replacements.

That said, the tickets for hampden don't even have barcodes so it's not even an option. Pretty sure it's standard practice for most clubs/gigs etc not to issue replacements.

Aberdeen definitely do replacements. Went with my friend a few weeks ago who had lost the ticket he had bought for his son. Replacement issued at the ticket office just before the match.

• Replies 620
  • Created
  • Last Reply
16 hours ago, Squirrelhumper said:

Would you? Do Aberdeen take a note of the barcodes./ticket numbers for every away game they allocate tickets for?

I know our turnstiles have barcodes and are scanned on entry but I'm pretty sure we don't issue replacements.

That said, the tickets for hampden don't even have barcodes so it's not even an option. Pretty sure it's standard practice for most clubs/gigs etc not to issue replacements.

Think it's pretty standard.

I live in Edinburgh and have had a couple of cases where tickets for away games haven't reached me so phoned up and arranged for a reprint.  It's actually very easy.

Tannadice, Tynecastle and at Pittodrie itself spring to mind.

On 29/03/2018 at 10:13, Swello said:

This is where Motherwell (or similar sized clubs to us) getting to the Semi's breaks the standard approach. If Hearts had beaten us in the QF as expected, this wouldn't be a discussion - but as soon as a smaller club makes it, it shows up the inflexible "Hampden first" approach to be totally flawed.

If Aberdeen did 12k for a lunchtime kickoff in Glasgow that's on council TV - that's a really good effort TBF - but it will still feel a bit shite at Hampden. The only thing I'll say on the other side of the argument is that our semi against St Johnstone at Hamden a few years back was a total farce in terms of the crowd vs capacity - but I think pretty much every 'Well fan that was there had a good day out...

I didn’t see the logic for not playing this at Tynecastle.  We played a league cup semi final there against St Johnstone 4 years ago and it was a great day. Granted I think there was a shortage of tickets(we had about 14k I believe ) but all regulars got.  It was also a Non TV 1500 on a Saturday game and as a few people have said these 1215 semis seem to be have been frequent lately and travelling numbers are down. What would Motherwell expect to take next Saturday? Edinburgh is hardly far away from there and slightly easier than Glasgow to get to from Aberdeen.  Could have had a full stadium and prob not many missing out to be honest.

On a side note at hampden last year for the hibs semi and we were trying (and failing) to find a pub that was open near the ground, we are walked down the back of the North stand towards the Asda etc and I could not believe the amount of police there were.  Horses , riot police the works. In quick conversation with one he explained they were using the game as a dress rehearsal for the old firm the next day.  Is this maybe a factor in keeping it at Hampden, however strange it seems ?

Regardless I’ll be there as always:  enjoy 

Clancy for our game and Madden has got the Glasgow derby so by that I think it's safe to assume that they are saving Thomson for the final to give him his last hurrah. :rolleyes:

Guest Bob Mahelp

Happy enough to have Clancy refereeing the big game.

I can't off the top of my head think of anything I've got a fatwha against him for, so he must be OK.

Oh, maybe he should have nutted the ginger headed popcorned tooth khqunt at Rugby Park a few weeks back when Lennon was screaming in his face, but apart from that Clancy has mostly crept along under my offended radar.

10 hours ago, Bob Mahelp said:

Happy enough to have Clancy refereeing the big game.

I can't off the top of my head think of anything I've got a fatwha against him for, so he must be OK.

Oh, maybe he should have nutted the ginger headed popcorned tooth khqunt at Rugby Park a few weeks back when Lennon was screaming in his face, but apart from that Clancy has mostly crept along under my offended radar.

He is completely incompetent but without favour or malice. That is the best we can expect from the sfa. 

It's hard to say, as it's been clear that for the past couple of games we haven't really given much of a f**k.

What I will say though, and the fact that we've progressed so far in both cups is a testament to this, but contrary to Motherwell sides of the past that have been far better than this one but generally shat the bed when it mattered, this squad seem to be really good at turning up in important matches and putting in a performance.

It's hard to say, as it's been clear that for the past couple of games we haven't really given much of a f**k.
What I will say though, and the fact that we've progressed so far in both cups is a testament to this, but contrary to Motherwell sides of the past that have been far better than this one but generally shat the bed when it mattered, this squad seem to be really good at turning up in important matches and putting in a performance.

You say that, but no one, NO ONE, can accuse this Aberdeen team of bottling anything.

7 hours ago, naegoodinthedark said:

Don’t know about Well, but we were honking yesterday.
Can’t call this at all.

To be fair I am not too sure we were that much better, but we were up against an average St Johnstone team with little to play for apart from avoiding defeat and injuries. You at least were up against Hearts at Tynecastle who have a decent home record. 

Aberdeen have a bigger and better squad. No doubt about it. Most of your bench would be in our 1st team. Very few if any of our bench would get near your 1st team. 

You will be missing 3 influential players but then so will we. McHugh and Tanner would be in our 1st team as would Hartley probably. So all even there.

I would say 65% to 35% in Dons favour. In our favour we have 2 wins v Aberdeen this season albeit with Moult. So we know we can beat you on our day. That plus we have been a good cup team this year and already been to Hampden twice so should not be at all fazed by it - he says hopefully.....

Does it go to a replay ? If not I fancy ET and maybe even penalties.

I'm not looking forward to this.

We are without two of our most important and arguably best players in Shinnie and McLean, along with our regular - and only - right-back. Some of the replacements are likely to be lacking match sharpness, and one of those is still, as of yesterday, unavailable through injury. If that is still the case come Saturday, we could be going into this with something crazy, such as Reynolds at right-back or Arnason and O'Connor in central midfield, especially as I can't see McInnes deviating from his favoured 4-2-3-1 for such a big game. 

We will need our mercurial attackers to turn up, too. McGinn hasn't been living up to the high standards he set immediately upon his return, and Christie, Mackay-Steven, May and Stewart haven't exactly been models of consistency either. I just hope that it clicks for some of them next weekend. 

I think our best hope, provided Nwakali is fit, is something like: Lewis; Ball, Arnason, McKenna, Considine; Nwakali, O'Connor; McGinn, Christie, Mackay-Steven; May. If not, then we will really be scrambling for options. I generally prefer Ball to O'Connor in midfield, but McInnes seemingly doesn't and the former played at right-back when Logan wasn't available at Parkhead in December, so I'd imagine that is what will happen again.  

Depressingly, every game we have played without Shinnie this season, including one against Motherwell at Pittodrie, we have lost 2-0. I fear a repeat here, so I just hope Motherwell's absences will have as much - if not more - of a negative impact on them as I expect our suspensions to have on us. 

Aberdeen are rightly favourites here despite their absentees. Even if we had McHugh, Tanner, Hartley, Rose available that would still be the case because they simply are a better team with better players and we are struggling to score goals and are devoid of a creative spark. That said, Aberdeen missing key players does bring them down a peg or two.

Our best chance next week will be to stifle the life out of the game and hope to nick one against the run of play similar to the Hearts quarter final but Aberdeen are a pretty physical side themselves and are capable of dealing with our approach. Extra time and penalties are a strong possibility I think and I don't know if my nerves can stand it! 

I've got a really bad feeling this will be one almighty sickener for us, with a late Aberdeen equaliser or winner or else a penalty shootout defeat. 

But if we somehow win though? It will be sensational and I honestly believe that if we do, we will win the Scottish Cup.

I'm excited yet a bag of nerves already and it's only Sunday. It's going to be a long week.

9 hours ago, Al B said:

That is what I like so much about Stephen Robinson and this squad, we have bottle, character and a lot of determination and that compensates for our lack of quality. As you say, we have had sides in the past decade that have been far better than this current crop but had hearts of mice and their arses collapsed whenever they were presented with a 'big game' such as this. That's what gives me a glimmer of hope ahead of next week, that if nothing else the team will be fired up to give everything they've got and the big wins we've got under our belts this season, Aberdeen in the LCQF, Rangers at Hampden in the same competition, Hearts in the Scottish Cup are testament to that. Many a 'better' Motherwell side of the past could only have dreamed of getting those three results in the same season.

On 4/5/2018 at 13:10, Melanius Mullarkey said:

Look at him.  Just fucking look at him.  Some amount of abuse coming his way IMO.

Fucking Hell! I've heard about that but never seen it :lol: That'll be him in the good books with the staunch fisherman of the constituency....

Archived