Raith Rovers v East Fife

The least said about that first half the better. An absolute horror show from both sides, but thankfully everybody's favourite Rover stepped up to the plate when needed.

I thought we started slowly in the second half as well but eventually got better and we were in control by the end.

Good to see an improved effort and performance from Barr and Vaughan showed some glimpses of his early season form as the game progressed. Davidson was solid again and Hendry once again looked tidy enough. Smith's refusal to use him earlier is mistifying.

As for East Fife, probably only Stranraer at Christmas time have put in a worse performance than that. For 2/3 of that match we were god awful and they still failed to muster a worthwhile attempt on goal. The downside to that is that there isn't a hope in hell of them tripping up Ayr this weekend.

• Replies 353
  • Created
  • Last Reply
4 minutes ago, Ro Sham Bo said:

The downside to that is that there isn't a hope in hell of them tripping up Ayr this weekend.

I think the best we can hope for from East Fife on Saturday is that one of these wild scythes makes better contact on Shankland than it did on Vaughan tonight. 

The second half made that just about enjoyable. First half really wasn't great but included a nice bit of play by Vaughan and a really strong finish into the opposite corner by Barr. Losing Willis is a blow, really go to hope that it's nothing serious and he's fit for the remainder of the season. Second half I actually think we tried to play a bit more football. People have been complaining for months that we don't play out from the back, but we repeatedly tried that tonight to howls of 'get it up the park'. You can't have it both ways. If we play it out from the back it will invariably invite pressure on to us in our third of the pitch, if you kick it up the park everyone will say we play hoof ball. 

Bobby Barr had a very good game, as did Vaughan who was really unlucky to not get a goal; if he'd got one he'd have probably got the MoM. Made a complete c**t of the East Fife number 6 on numerous occasions, so much so that he couldn't even wipe him out properly. Hendry again did well in the middle of the park. Our player of the year Iain Davidson was superb again, enjoying a great and extended run of form.

East Fife are thoroughly miserable. Four times in one season. Wooft.

Only really 2 players with any experience playing last night Page and Duggan the rest just young lads and it showed as we never looked like we had any self believe we could win the game. Two very poor goals again from our point of view. Raith also very poor and I’d be shocked if they went up .

8 hours ago, troy said:

A really poor game tonight from both sides.Really cant see the Rovers getting past the playoffs on that performance.

We haven’t lost a league game at home since February 2017. If it is the play-offs for us, we just have to do damage limitation away from home and win the home games. Championship here we come!

8 hours ago, Ro Sham Bo said:

The least said about that first half the better. An absolute horror show from both sides, but thankfully everybody's favourite Rover stepped up to the plate when needed.

I thought we started slowly in the second half as well but eventually got better and we were in control by the end.

Good to see an improved effort and performance from Barr and Vaughan showed some glimpses of his early season form as the game progressed. Davidson was solid again and Hendry once again looked tidy enough. Smith's refusal to use him earlier is mistifying.

As for East Fife, probably only Stranraer at Christmas time have put in a worse performance than that. For 2/3 of that match we were god awful and they still failed to muster a worthwhile attempt on goal. The downside to that is that there isn't a hope in hell of them tripping up Ayr this weekend.

Ayr are 4/6 to win at East Fife. Free money.

...unless they bottle it. 

6 hours ago, McGuigan1978 said:

The East Fife input on these threads certainly seems to have died away as the season has progressed. Hope King Kebab and that Taz fellow are okay.

7ACF89CD-148E-4495-81C1-232400F0D8CA.jpeg

9 hours ago, buchan30 said:

we better strap ourselves in, because we are destined for the playoffs. We only have ourselves to blame. 

Not really... Ayr have been, by far, the better team this season. Their goal difference and league position proves it. We are where we deserve to be, 2nd place.

Not really... Ayr have been, by far, the better team this season. Their goal difference and league position proves it. We are where we deserve to be, 2nd place.

Even then, for as good as ayr have been, we still had chances to pull clear of them and never took them.

1 hour ago, Kdawg said:

Combination of both. We were 8 points clear mid Feb.  Lost 4 points in the last minutes of games against Albion and Arbroath and got a doing by Forfar. Not unreasonable to expect far better than that.

49 minutes ago, CALDERON said:

Combination of both. We were 8 points clear mid Feb.  Lost 4 points in the last minutes of games against Albion and Arbroath and got a doing by Forfar. Not unreasonable to expect far better than that.

Exactly. Christ, even a point against Forfar would have made all the difference to our current predicament.

Maybe East Fife will do us a favour on Saturday. Stranger things have happened.

I missed the 3-2 game at New Year, so every time i’ve seen East Fife they’ve been a poor excuse for a football team. Definitely one of the worst sides in the league, but they’ve had some decent results.

There’s been absolutely nothing between the two teams. Really, a penalty claim for Albion Rovers in injury time is the difference - they got it against us, they didn’t against Ayr. They’ll almost certainly win the league and I guess when they’ve been at their best, they’re better than us as the GD shows.

We still have to make sure we win all our games though. Even if it results in the play-offs, it’d be good to go into them in form.

I take it Kevin Smith wasn't fully fit last night. 

East Fife whipped three decent corners across our six yard box in the first half, all of which were poorly defended by Rovers. A strong, hungry centre forward (Smith) on the end of them and we'd have been in serious trouble. 

Hopefully he's saving himself for Saturday. 

We give teams far too much space at times. When we get in the faces of the opposition and keep the ball down we look far better than the hoofball tactics we've seen time and time again. We also lack a player who wants to get their foot on the ball and dictate play, only Vaughan shows that he's capable of this but ends up trying to do to much whereas the bulk of the team, for the most part, just want to get rid of the ball when in possession. Our midfield has been our biggest downfall season after season and I thought Robertson had his poorest game for us and that's after singing his praises as of late. At times we were struggling to do the absolute basics of football. EF's corners in the first half looked dangerous but partly down to Lennox looking reluctant to come for the ball. I think the penalty he gave away against Arbroath is giving him the fear of bulldozing his way through players to get to the ball. Also some of the pass backs to Lennox (Bene/Murray) were proper head in hands moments. 

For as poor as we were overall to get the 3 points and a clean sheet and Lennox not really having a save to make should be taken as a positive. I think we'll need to improve if we are to find ourselves in the playoffs (gut feeling is that's where we'll finish) as Arbroath/Alloa are decent teams at this level. Had to laugh at a few folk behind me jumping the gun about playing Dumbarton not realising we'll need to get past Arbroath/Alloa first.

6 hours ago, Scary Bear said:

I remember when Stevo Fife was all horses. The 5-0 result was hard on everyone. Get well soon, East Fife.

That should probably say get better soon.

My granddad's probably glad he was cremated, he'd be spinning his way to the centre of the earth if he'd been buried :)

Archived