Motherwell v Celtic

I wouldn't disagree with this at all, it was daft from Kipré, but at the same time, it's just a bit galling that it is the second time this season that what has been a good, competitive game between Motherwell and Celtic has been spoiled (certainly from our perspective) by the same referee, for me, guessing at a decision, and somehow punishing the same player. 

I agree as well, that it would've been a very soft penalty as well, but given that he's now given two penalties against us this season for significantly less contact than Hendry had on Main, you can see why people are asking for it.

Believe it or not, but the sending off had a completely adverse effect from a Celtic point of view.
Before the incident Motherwell were opening up, getting onto our backline and getting shots off.
I personally feel Celtic would've had more joy on the counter, and exposing the Motherwell defensive line.

After the sending off it all changed, completely stifled the game. We struggled to break Well down effectively after they bolted the back door.

• Replies 504
  • Created
  • Last Reply

I didn't realise before today that this is his last season as a referee. 

Great news for all concerned.  Every club must have a list as long as their arm of f**k-ups by this clown.  One of the worst referees we've had in a long, long time.  Don't think I've disliked a referee as much since Iain Fucking Brines.  Got a feeling Young Dallas will take over the crown next season.

p***ks the lot of them

1 minute ago, Greenlantern said:

Believe it or not, but the sending off had a completely adverse effect from a Celtic point of view.
Before the incident Motherwell were opening up, getting onto our backline and getting shots off.
I personally feel Celtic would've had more joy on the counter, and exposing the Motherwell defensive line.

After the sending off it all changed, completely stifled the game. We struggled to break Well down effectively after they bolted the back door.

Agree with that.

I'd have been confident of goals, at both ends, if it stayed the way it was.

As far as yesterday goes you can tell from the footage that he's following the ball and more than likely sees the "incident" in his periphery vision. It may well be an #honestmistake and from his POV it looked worse than it was but it's still problematic that again he's gone straight for a red card for an incident that there's a fair chance he's guessing at.

Probably heard Scotland's hardest let out a squeal and that was enough.

2 minutes ago, Greenlantern said:

Lads, I've found Barry Ferguson's P&B account. :lol:

I wouldn't disagree with any of that, either. Like I said, both yesterday, and Hampden before the end of the year were good, competitive games, spoiled by bad decisions. 

That said, even if you'd got on the counter, Richard Tait would've appeared from the ether and blocked the shot anyway.

Quite honestly the only real fkin surprise is that Thompson did not award a penalty for that dive.  

If it is his last season as a ref - thank the lord.  Just don't give him either the semi final or final of the cup if we are involved in the latter !!!!!

1 hour ago, welldaft said:

Quite honestly the only real fkin surprise is that Thompson did not award a penalty for that dive.  

If it is his last season as a ref - thank the lord.  Just don't give him either the semi final or final of the cup if we are involved in the latter !!!!!

If he doesn't get the Old Firm semi then he has been guaranteed the final.

Would love it if some journo flat out asked Brendan Rogers why they cheat so much.

Only club in Scotland to have a diving board at their training ground.

Heard Hugh Bonneville comes in as well to give 'pain and writhing' masterclasses too.

2 minutes ago, Ya Bezzer! said:

Would love it if some journo flat out asked Brendan Rogers why they cheat so much.

Only club in Scotland to have a diving board at their training ground.

Heard Hugh Bonneville comes in as well to give 'pain and writhing' masterclasses too.

Wow.....

Craig Thompson has so many poor decisions against him hook back years it’s easy to say he’s just totally incompetent. I hate seeing him ref a saints game at the best of times.

Even last week I’m now thinking he should have sent Tanser off against Dundee, but instead claims he gets the ball which he doesn’t get close to. Last season he gave a penalty to Celtic for a ball hitting Watson’s hip minutes after Swanson was wiped out in the box for a stonewaller. He’s not biased, he’s just shite. It just so happens that his awful decisions are helping certain teams more than others.

That Sinclair dive in all its glory...fucking hell.

That’s pretty bad, missed it at the time and didn’t know what the fuss was about, but that’s bad, as was browns reaction, esp after him laughing off tackles at pittodrie. I probably would’ve wanted a pen too tbh.

All in all a draw was a fair result in a game spoiled by the ref. Motherwell then got up for the fight in the 2nd half and Celtic looked off it from the start.

36 minutes ago, Drew Brees said:

That’s pretty bad, missed it at the time and didn’t know what the fuss was about, but that’s bad, as was browns reaction, esp after him laughing off tackles at pittodrie. I probably would’ve wanted a pen too tbh.

All in all a draw was a fair result in a game spoiled by the ref. Motherwell then got up for the fight in the 2nd half and Celtic looked off it from the start.

It's quite something. It actually just seems an instinctive reaction, he's just papped a great chance to win the game and all he has left is to just throw himself to try and con the ref into giving a pen. It says quite a lot about his mentality at the moment.

I've not watched Celtic much this season but Sinclair doesn't seem to have been anywhere near the player he was last season. It was actually quite fitting that it was Tait who made the block as Sinclair absolutely destroyed him in the 5-0 LC game at Parkhead last season and the improvement in Tait between then and now is incredible.

I think most Motherwell fans would have taken a 0-0 had it been offered before the game, even more so given the circumstances. The disappointment is really in so much as that for years you've hear Celtic fans mewl about teams like Motherwell sitting in against then (it was very much McGhee's go to tactic). Yesterday was an instance where we had a competitive game that could have gone either way 11 v 11 yet the flow of the game was pretty much stopped dead in its tracks by a referee dishing out a red card for an incident that could quite easily have been sorted out by a word in both players ears.

Craig Thompson has so many poor decisions against him hook back years it’s easy to say he’s just totally incompetent. I hate seeing him ref a saints game at the best of times.

Even last week I’m now thinking he should have sent Tanser off against Dundee, but instead claims he gets the ball which he doesn’t get close to. Last season he gave a penalty to Celtic for a ball hitting Watson’s hip minutes after Swanson was wiped out in the box for a stonewaller. He’s not biased, he’s just shite. It just so happens that his awful decisions are helping certain teams more than others.

pretty much it. I dont think Brown made a meal of it. Kipre probably nicked him in the back of the thigh with the sole of his boot. Brown reacts then quickly realises he is ok and stops as quick as he reacted. There was absolutely zero in the incident and a straight red just another awful decision by this guy.

It's quite something. It actually just seems an instinctive reaction, he's just papped a great chance to win the game and all he has left is to just throw himself to try and con the ref into giving a pen. It says quite a lot about his mentality at the moment.
I've not watched Celtic much this season but Sinclair doesn't seem to have been anywhere near the player he was last season. It was actually quite fitting that it was Tait who made the block as Sinclair absolutely destroyed him in the 5-0 LC game at Parkhead last season and the improvement in Tait between then and now is incredible.
I think most Motherwell fans would have taken a 0-0 had it been offered before the game, even more so given the circumstances. The disappointment is really in so much as that for years you've seen Celtic fans mewl about teams like Motherwell sitting in against then (it was very much McGhee's go to tactic). Yesterday was an instance where we had a competitive game that could have gone either way 11 v 11 yet the flow of the game was pretty much stopped dead in its tracks by a referee dishing out a red card for an incident that could quite easily have been sorted out by a word in both players ears.

Yesterday had the makings of a good game, wasn’t expecting much of a challenge after how well we finished last week but Motherwell caused us probs til the ref spoiled it. I doubt we’d be debating today wether or not a Motherwell player should’ve been off if Thomson had showed common sense.

I imagine most of the refs who aren't openly biased are just too scared to give important decisions against teams with large number of violent lowlifes who may well target him at a later time.

Archived