Genuinely awful cold meat.

PB 4.2

Like or no like  

121 members have voted

You do not have permission to vote in this poll, or see the poll results. Please sign in or register to vote in this poll.

• Replies 154
  • Created
  • Last Reply
4 minutes ago, Shaggy Jenkins said:

Corn beef hash would be shit without corned beef. 

Stovies should only be made with leftover Silverside roast or some such. :thumsup2

This. I think think it was Aristotle who said “corned beef does not stovies make”.

10 hours ago, PB 4.2 said:

You got the bite you wanted but the duck didn't when you fed him a full packet of energiser AAA's.   

But this is just the tip of the iceberg with you cycling paupers.     You also feed used inner tubes to geese.   And farmers.....you fucking hate farmers because - rightly - they object to the country road closure to host a wanky lycra fest.   So you feed farm animal out of date ham, real bad ham injected with poison, wrapped in stolen filo pastry.    And you get away with it because you all look the same, and for once you've turned off your "I'm a helmet" cam.    

Brilliant! 3/10 for the rant, I hope you feel better now!

13 hours ago, Trackdaybob said:

Do you still get that?? :unsure:

I mind my grandparents having that when I was a wee lad (mid/late 70's). Don't think I've seen it since :o That's a good thing IMO. 

A&M Butchers just off the back of the Catlegate in Aberdeen still sells, and it packaged exactly like that - Potted Heid and delicious on toast.

If you heading for Pittodrie from city centre and go out back of Catlegate you pass it on the left.

When we were travelling & working around NZ in our youth, living on a budget which was mostly taken up by drinking, a staple of our lunch diet was some suspiciously cheap cold meat which came wrapped as a large sausage to slice up for sandwiches. It was openly described on the packaging as 'chicken flavoured meat product', and was as tasty as it sounds.

A&M Butchers just off the back of the Catlegate in Aberdeen still sells, and it packaged exactly like that - Potted Heid and delicious on toast.

If you heading for Pittodrie from city centre and go out back of Catlegate you pass it on the left.

Potted heid is fabulous

While I enjoyed haslet when given it as a child, the Wikipedia page makes interesting reading: https://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Haslet

In British English, haslet or acelet is a pork meatloaf with herbs, originally from Lincolnshire. The word is derived from the Old French hastilles meaning entrails.

and

Haslet (in North American English) refers to the heart, lungs, liver, stomach, and other edible viscera of an animal, usually a hog.[4] In the U.S. South, these entrails are traditionally removed in one piece at hog-killing time and given to the poor.[citation needed]

a corned beef on a sandwich with mustard and Branston pickle is the best way to have it. also love pastrami.

got to also mention the underrated garlic sausage.

salmon paste is brilliant on a sandwich with salad cream but wouldnt touch any of the other meat pastes.

Having grown up in the 60’s and 70’s, like most people back then, a lot of our shopping money was spent in a butchers shop. Have probably eaten everything that a butcher back then had for sale. Never ever heard of or eaten Haslet!

15 hours ago, ah-dee said:

a corned beef on a sandwich with mustard and Branston pickle is the best way to have it. also love pastrami.

got to also mention the underrated garlic sausage.

salmon paste is brilliant on a sandwich with salad cream but wouldnt touch any of the other meat pastes.

Mustard or Branston pickle, surely, not both?

I could take it with either, probably prfer mustard.

I was never that keen on salmon paste, but would certainly choose it before chicken paste

Archived