Aberdeen vs Dundee FC

• Replies 201
  • Created
  • Last Reply
If true that is really worrying.  Next game is in April and still not one goal from open play from our main striker.  
He's not perfect but can physically compete and hold a ball which at least gives a little bit of hope. It's basic basic stuff to have a physical outlet away to a side like that.

No chance of any play in the opposition half as AJ and Murray were haplessly flapping about.

7 minutes ago, harry94 said:

He's not perfect but can physically compete and hold a ball which at least gives a little bit of hope. It's basic basic stuff to have a physical outlet away to a side like that.

No chance of any play in the opposition half as AJ and Murray were haplessly flapping about.

I said before the game our only chance of a goal was a long ball over the top to Murray.  AJ proved he’s not capable of scoring with that type of chance.  

Derry City wouldn’t accept their main striker not scoring until April at the earliest and their season starts mid February!

We didn't play particularly well, but we really needed that win - and we were never in serious danger of not being the better team. I thought Shinnie was the best player on the park, contributing his typical energy, and working especially hard to close potential avenues of attack for Dundee in the second half - and, of course, he chipped in with the decisive goal. McLean did plenty of good things in midfield, too. O'Connor and McKenna defended well, although didn't have too much to do considering how toothless Dundee were in our half - I can only recall Woodman having one serious save to make, from Leitch-Smith at 0-0. 

We probably should have won more comfortably and we will need to put together much more complete, creative performances against better opposition after the international break, but getting through to the Scottish Cup semi-finals, three points in the league, and Rangers and Hibs dropping points is undoubtedly a pleasing week for us.

Sort of agree. He did the hold the ball up okay but did you ever think at all he was gonna score ?
Like me, did ye f**k.

Holt I thought did well .

I've not much to add as we didn't really do much. The double save from our keeper kept us in it even though he made a c**t of our goal.

This has been brutal. Can I see it getting any better ? Probably not .

Another day out. Another loss. Why change a habit.
Didn't think for a minute he'd score but he would have definitely meant more possession in the opposition half and less pressure on our back line. Probably wouldn't have made much difference but much higher chance something might have maybe fallen right I feel.

Sort of agree. He did the hold the ball up okay but did you ever think at all he was gonna score ?
Like me, did ye f**k.

Holt I thought did well .

I've not much to add as we didn't really do much. The double save from our keeper kept us in it even though he made a c**t of our goal.

This has been brutal. Can I see it getting any better ? Probably not .

Another day out. Another loss. Why change a habit.
Didn't think for a minute he'd score but he would have definitely meant more possession in the opposition half and less pressure on our back line. Probably wouldn't have made much difference but much higher chance something might have maybe fallen right I feel.

Thought we were the best team for the first 30 minutes and Aberdeen did the square root of f**k all until the goal. AJ's miss is a howler and it inexcusably knocked the stuffing out of us.

Second half we were garbage, and I said as soon as it happened the change wouldn't work - AJ should've been hooked if anyone.

And to top it all off I've got a sore head from that cow announcing the teams before the game. Delia Smith wannabe.

Awful game,Dundee boy should have scored 1st half when through 1-1 with keeper and can't recall another time our keeper was called to make a save.

We were not much better,plenty possession but limited attempts on their goal just no cutting edge to our play.

Decent away support so well done them.

Oh and bloody baltic.

Over the 90 clearly Aberdeen deserved to win. As Ross said we were probs on top in the first 30 when the Dons appeared to have caught ‘Dundee Disease’.
When Moussa went off at half time we lost our out ball and as utter dog meat that he is we missed him I’d say. I though AJ was offside for his 1 on 1 but the linesman on our side was miles behind play the whole game and made numerous mistakes. Actually thought the ref could have/ should have blown before the Aberdeen goal as Parish had been felled, not sure of by whom, but it was a head knock so instant whistle I thought. As I say no dispute on the actual result but Aberdeen are not the juggernaut they were last season IMO.

We didn't play particularly well, but we really needed that win - and we were never in serious danger of not being the better team. I thought Shinnie was the best player on the park, contributing his typical energy, and working especially hard to close potential avenues of attack for Dundee in the second half - and, of course, he chipped in with the decisive goal. McLean did plenty of good things in midfield, too. O'Connor and McKenna defended well, although didn't have too much to do considering how toothless Dundee were in our half - I can only recall Woodman having one serious save to make, from Leitch-Smith at 0-0. 
We probably should have won more comfortably and we will need to put together much more complete, creative performances against better opposition after the international break, but getting through to the Scottish Cup semi-finals, three points in the league, and Rangers and Hibs dropping points is undoubtedly a pleasing week for us.

I’d agree re Shinnie, great guy to have in any team and also re MacLean.

May looks like there’s a player in there but it’s just not working. McGinn anonymous really. Why is Rooney not starting?

6 minutes ago, Fifespud said:

I’d agree re Shinnie, great guy to have in any team and also re MacLean.

May looks like there’s a player in there but it’s just not working. McGinn anonymous really. Why is Rooney not starting?

Rooney has still been starting games, including against Kilmarnock in midweek. He provides more of a focal point to the attack than May, although May is - or at least is supposed to be - better at most things outside the opposition box and back to goal than Rooney. May isn't having a particularly good time of it at the moment, but it's definitely too early to write him off yet - I still hope that it can and will work out for him. 

I think that's the coldest I've ever been at a football match. Absolutely baltic. I went for a half-time wander to warm up a bit and there was a guy running up and down the stairs at the end of the stand to restart his circulation.

I tell you something as well - going for a piss in those toilets at the back of the stand is fair humbling when there's an arctic wind blowing around. 

As far as the game is concerned, the most comfortable 1-0 anyone will ever have. It was telling there was no clamour for the full-time whistle from the Aberdeen fans. They knew we could still be playing now and it would be <something>-0.

AJ's miss was a lack of confidence, no doubt about it. You can understand a miss like that if a keeper gets a lucky hand to it or whatever, but he just seemed to hit it straight at him. 

Not great performance again from the Dons but a much needed 3 points. Dundee looked like a team drifting towards relegation. They offered very little to suggest they might have won yesterday. Shame as would rather they stayed up and one of west coast teams went down.

2 hours ago, Caballero said:

Like last season you mean?

We won't be that lucky twice. 

Our run in also looks marginally more horrific than those around us. 

Dundee: Hearts (h); Celtic (a); Rangers (a) (LLL)

County: Celtic (a); Partick (h); Hibs (h) (LDD)

Thistle: Hibs (a); County (a); Kilmarnock (h) (LDD)

Accies:  Saints (a); Kilmarnock (a); Hibs (a); Celtic (h); Kilmarnock (h) (DLLLD)

After those fixtures all play out, as a bit of guess work the points pre-split could be:

Accies 32

Dundee 28

Thistle 27

County  24

If that's the situation post split, without a fucking dramatic change in attitude and fortune, especially at home, we're in the play-off at best. Given our propensity to bottle almost every meaningful match against a team we should have a chance against (on paper), I wouldn't fancy us against Livvy or Morton. The DABs are also absolute bottle merchants, but being relegated by them in a play-off a couple seasons after relegating them in hilarious  fashion would be the most Dundee FC thing ever. 

Obvious the ideal scenario is that we somehow beat a tight Hearts team aided by a shite home record and goal shy attack, and somehow avoid two utter scuddings in Glasgow. We also need County and Thistle to lose their remaining games and draw with each other.  Accies have more games to play, and as funny as it would be to see them in the mire at the bottom, they're good enough to fight their way to 8th or 9th. 

After this shitshow of a season is over, McCann should be emptied (if there's a suitable replacement). That squad is utterly honking, bar about 4 players. 

Archived