QOS V League Leaders

Why would any BOD not want promotion?

I dont think that any BOD wouldn't want promotion. I think clubs genuinely do what they feel is the strongest for them while staying within their means. Teams like us aren't going to break the bank to try and get promotion, I do think our BOD thought or maybe still thinks that the manager and players brought in was enough to reach the play offs. I think we have a decent enough squad to compete so I don't agree with people saying our players aren't good enough. Fordyce, Brownlie, Marshal, Jacobs, Dobbie, and Lyle to a certain degree are a good nucleus.

• Replies 342
  • Created
  • Last Reply
1 hour ago, Flash said:

The inconsistency has been worse in the latter part of the season, giving the feeling that the season is falling away.

We took 21 points from the first 12 games, with 6 wins. Average that out over a season and you get 63 points.

We have taken 17 points from the last 16 games, with 4 wins. Average that out over a season and you get 38 points.

So although there hasn’t been a winless run, helped by wins over Brechin and Dumbarton, after a fairly decent start, our form has dropped quite dramatically. But that might just be because we were able to beat Brechin twice, Falkirk twice and Dumbarton in the first 12 games.

Good stats but not great reading. So that's 58% success rate down to 35%....

1 hour ago, kirkyblue2 said:

Why would any BOD not want promotion?

It would cost them a fortune to get the ground up to standard. Also getting humped every week would also see the crowds plummet even further and therefore less money coming in. In other words they don't have the ambition.

I dont think that any BOD wouldn't want promotion. I think clubs genuinely do what they feel is the strongest for them while staying within their means. Teams like us aren't going to break the bank to try and get promotion, I do think our BOD thought or maybe still thinks that the manager and players brought in was enough to reach the play offs. I think we have a decent enough squad to compete so I don't agree with people saying our players aren't good enough. Fordyce, Brownlie, Marshal, Jacobs, Dobbie, and Lyle to a certain degree are a good nucleus.

Aren't the first 3 sentences a bit of a contradiction there? If, as you say, clubs do what they feel is strongest for them then surely they don't all want promotion? Your second sentence will be the reason why we'll be unlikely see a promotion any time soon. Going up would likely mean we'd have to invest significantly more in the squad.

We have a decent core but it screams average to me and the problem we have are the surrounding players aren't always at that standard. We have a squad that shouldn't be relegated (this season) but that won't be anywhere near the top. I'm sure I predicted a 7th spot finish for us pre-season so our position isn't a shock to me, our performances have been a bigger issue for me. Eye-bleedingly bad at times.

It would cost them a fortune to get the ground up to standard. Also getting humped every week would also see the crowds plummet even further and therefore less money coming in. In other words they don't have the ambition.

This. I'm not sure our crowds would significantly improve tbh. Certainly not in the home end. The novelty would soon wear off for the neutral no doubt. Even when The Rangers visited near the end of their time in this league the home end wasn't even close to being full. A few of the away supports would be far better than the current division but I don't think there would be too many occasions with an away support of over 1000.

24 minutes ago, Gert.T.Fock said:

The ground wouldn't need much upgrading and the income would be very substantially increased.

Gates would also be significantly bigger, even if the home crowd didn't increase (which it would).

Not wanting to take ludicrous risks to get there should not be confused with a lack of ambition.  Getting there would be great news though, financially and otherwise.

If a club stays within it's means and does what they feel is strongest for them then I don't think that means they don't want promotion. Take Livingston for example, they stayed within their means (I think) and probably didn't expect themselves to do so well but that doesn't mean they didn't want promotion, and now they have a good chance to do it.
I find it hard to believe a club wouldn't want to, but I get they probably know it's near impossible for them.

I agree with that but i genuinly believe the squad we have should have a fair few more points on the board. I don't think bringing in so many loan players help either, especially in January, was it 5 we brought in in January? I know we had to though.

If we finished in the play-off this season, or any season, do the people who think our BOD don't want promotion think our BOD wouldn't want us to win it? Would they want us to throw away the chance?

By the way, after saying that i don't know how much the BOD would fancy the added expenditure to get the ground compliant, i would love QOS to get to the premier and i hope you find a manager that can get you there.  The atmosphere at the ground is great and it reminds me of the days when there was still terracing at Love St.

7 minutes ago, Gert.T.Fock said:

By the way, after saying that i don't know how much the BOD would fancy the added expenditure to get the ground compliant, i would love QOS to get to the premier and i hope you find a manager that can get you there.  The atmosphere at the ground is great and it reminds me of the days when there was still terracing at Love St.

Think we have the Manager in place we need more fans through the gates and more important a better class of player funded by this board or new needed investors until then we need to relise we are punching above our station avoiding relegation is our real aim unfortunately.

2 hours ago, Gert.T.Fock said:

You know 12th place in the Premiership gets over £1m in prize money compared to circa £200k for midtable Championship right? Thats before we mention the parachute payments when and if you come back down.

Anyone who thinks there is a financial argument against promotion is stark raving bonkers!

3 hours ago, Gert.T.Fock said:

As far as I know, the ground requirements are more or less the same for the Premiership as they are for the Championship.  There might be a few small upgrades required, but I can't imagine a scenario where those are not covered by the extra revenue.

1 hour ago, Skyline Drifter said:

You know 12th place in the Premiership gets over £1m in prize money compared to circa £200k for midtable Championship right? Thats before we mention the parachute payments when and if you come back down.

Anyone who thinks there is a financial argument against promotion is stark raving bonkers!

Just wish the board either spent more money on the team or tried to get investors with money to get us better quality of player to get us promoted if there are no financial arguments.

Is there a chance you don't have a great squad to play with Dobbie, because you have Dobbie? 

As an outsider you have to wonder if you've sacrificed a chunk of your budget on him and the wages to spend on the rest is slightly below everyone else. Might be totally wrong, mind you. 

Is there a chance you don't have a great squad to play with Dobbie, because you have Dobbie? 
As an outsider you have to wonder if you've sacrificed a chunk of your budget on him and the wages to spend on the rest is slightly below everyone else. Might be totally wrong, mind you. 

Been said before, but the rumour is his wages aren't entirely funded by our budget. And tbh, I put some of the missing crowd on Saturday down to him being out. He's the one thing that's kept me going to games this season.

Slightly O/T but how long has the old stand got left? I'm sure Hewitson said in an interview earlier in the season that it would soon need upgrading.

9 hours ago, Gert.T.Fock said:

What do you mean by compliant?

In what way do we currently fall short of this compliance?

I suspect that your knowledge of stadium requirements needs more of an update than our ground.

Not pleasant viewing. The first wasn't as bad as I recall, though it certainly wasn't much better. Harsh of me to have expected Jacobs do to much there. Cameron is the biggest culprit. He surely has to be stronger there. I thought at the time Mercer was horribly out of position but had he not come over then Morgan had a clear run, but by doing so he left Mullan wide open. Catch 22 for him tbf. Didn't notice the finish at the time as I was already looking to the skies knowing what was coming. He took it well. The second still looks a dodgy free-kick to me. From that angle you can't see contact. Leighfield has to have that side covered though and what the hell was Rankin doing? I assume he was taking a run up to get some height but all he did was block the 'keeper's view further. Just stand in the wall ffs. The 3rd was far too easy and again we were all over the shop. The thing that pissed me off the most is that the 2nd and 3rd goal came as a result of us quickly losing possession from our own throw in. Really poor stuff.

Our goal was well worked and Marshall takes all the plaudits but that flick from Rankin was very nice. And while we're on Rankin, someone tell him to stop wasting possession with a shot.

On 17/03/2018 at 17:42, Distant Doonhamer said:

A worse budget than Dumbarton ? Really?

On 17/03/2018 at 17:51, SUPERSOUTH said:

Yip.

Could you fire up the "Budget" League Table? I'm interested to see how many other full-time teams we're outspending by bringing in high demand players such as Stuart Carswell, Scott Gallacher, Kyle Hutton and Iain Russell.

Even if someone you trust has told you this, just think about it for a second and you'll realise why it's complete shite.

Archived