QOS V League Leaders

Guest Flash
1 minute ago, palmy_cammy said:

Most of our fans are realistic enough to accept we are roughly where we should be this season.

Punching your weight isn’t particularly exciting though, and the whole joy of sport is that fairytales can sometimes happen.

In Stephen Dobbie we have a genius who is capable of producing fairytale stuff. There is disappointment that his talents are being wasted turning a bad side into an average one, and not an average side into a promotion contender.

Also our home form is rotten which doesn’t help with fan morale.

Overall I’m not too downbeat, but I can appreciate why plenty are.

Pretty much this.

I expected before the season started that we would finish 8th and that looks like where we will end up.  There is, however, no joy going into games knowing that you are going to lose, which is how our home games v full-time teams have become. And without Dobbie, the away games will now be the same, almost like supporting Brechin.

When you look at Livi, you see how a team with a small budget can perform.

Anyway, the fans’ expectations are built up by the club, with everybody saying the aim is to finish in the top 4. The fans don’t expect that themselves. I appreciate that the club probably can’t come out and say that the aim is to stay up and hopefully get a Cup run. But that is the reality.

• Replies 342
  • Created
  • Last Reply
1 hour ago, Biscuits said:

This is by no means meant to sound patronising and if it does I apologise in advance.

Where do QOTS fans expect their club to be? You will comfortably stay in the championship again. Surely that must be the expectation every season? Or do you expect to be challenging for the title?

It's a fair question and the reality is that yes, bobbing around in the lower reaches of mid-table is probably about right.

There are some hugely dispiriting features about the current state of play for us though:

This season, Brechin have given everyone a safety net and Dumbarton as a part-time club continue to offer some reassurance too.  Falkirk and ICT have also been much worse than anticipated, which has again helped the League position of others.  We maybe look comfier than we deserve to be.

In Dobbie we have a truly outstanding player at this level.  I don't hold with the logic that says he's entirely wasted, given that his performances are what's kept us out of trouble.  It feels like it though when you know that in most sides in the division and in previous Queens ones, he'd have had every chance of taking them up.

I sometimes think that the relevance of how prettily a team plays football can be overstated.  It's true though, that what we're getting to watch now, especially at home, is bloody rotten.  

Even leaving that aside, there's just very little excitement attached to following Queens just now.  I honestly couldn't think of a 2017 highlight on the dedicated thread at New Year and nothing has changed since.  We've made no impact in Cups for a while and we look thoroughly unambitious in league matches.

The dissatisfaction goes beyond a bald reading of our league position.

15 minutes ago, kirkyblue2 said:

Our target seems to be to reach the playoffs instead of getting promotion through them.

Was it Dowie who announced on the eve of our play-off tie with Rangers, that the next season's target would also be to reach the play-offs?

3 minutes ago, Monkey Tennis said:

Was it Dowie who announced on the eve of our play-off tie with Rangers, that the next season's target would also be to reach the play-offs?

Passion not glory, getting a tattoo tomorrow.

8 hours ago, Rjc-1988 said:

If my understanding is correct GN has another year of his contract to run until the end of season 2018/19. I said at the time of his appointment that I couldn't understand the logic of offering him such a long term contract at this level if football especially given his modest track record as a Manager.

If he had been a roaring success with us two things would probably have happened :-

- the team would have done well and QOS would have benefited - no problem with that
- a bigger club would probably have head hunted him and he would inevitably have moved on in the same way as Connolly, Chisholm, AJ and McIntyre did

The fact the we had him tied to us till end season 2018/19 wouldn't have made one iota of difference to GN's decision to leave. We might have earned some modest form of compensation if he terminated his contract but hardly a game changer for us.

The BOD are now in a difficult position - do they stick with GN or twist and buyout the deal? I would honestly say that if we apply the same criteria as in the case of James Fowler to the decision - let's assume GN's contract ended at the end of this season I would hazzard a guess that the chances of him being retained by the BOD would be about 5% at best.

With the extra year and the prospect of compensation to consider I would say it is 50:50. If the crowd numbers and the quality of the football was entertaining I think they would stick but given the alarming lack of supporter attendance and the poor home form it may be that they decide to twist.

A big decision to be made but as the custodian of the longer contract I think the Manager is holding the stronger hand.

Yes.  A two year deal might have made some sense if his managerial record was such that we really wanted him and he demanded that security.  The reality though is that his performance at East Fife had been pretty indifferent.  

At that point, if we thought he'd impressed at interview, we would surely have had the stronger hand in offering terms that suited us.  Now as you say though, that hand belongs to him.

We're going to stay up, so I'm sure his contract won't be terminated before running its course.  He's really not been a great appointment at all though.  It's difficult to feel much optimism about anything  in the foreseeable future.

Yes.  A two year deal might have made some sense if his managerial record was such that we really wanted him and he demanded that security.  The reality though is that his performance at East Fife had been pretty indifferent.  
At that point, if we thought he'd impressed at interview, we would surely have had the stronger hand in offering terms that suited us.  Now as you say though, that hand belongs to him.
We're going to stay up, so I'm sure his contact won't be terminated before running its course.  He's really not been a great appointment at all though.  It's difficult to feel much optimism about anything  in the foreseeable future.
Completely agree. Actually dreading next season with the guy in charge.

2 minutes ago, 19QOS19 said:

He's not a great appointment for the fans but he'll be doing exactly what the board want: not in a relegation fight and nowhere near the top.

That sounds suspiciously like that old favourite - "the board don't want us to go up". 

Naismith must be the most negative team manager I can recall in my time following QOS since the 70’s jeez it’s been eye bleeding to watch at best. Even his interviews put you to sleep, he is hardly a guy to rouse the spirits of the Dumfries public. The thought of another season like this one is absolutely frightening !!

18 minutes ago, kleinfaethetoon said:

Naismith must be the most negative team manager I can recall in my time following QOS since the 70’s jeez it’s been eye bleeding to watch at best. Even his interviews put you to sleep, he is hardly a guy to rouse the spirits of the Dumfries public. The thought of another season like this one is absolutely frightening !!

I actually quite like his interviews and think he generally comes across quite well in any public forum. That of course means nowt in terms of getting the best from a group of players.

3 hours ago, Arch Stanton said:

Are you Morgan's agent?

Only Morgan, his agent and Celtic will know much Morgan is getting a week, anything else is guesswork.

Just going by what a St Mirren director told me yesterday...

I actually quite like his interviews and think he generally comes across quite well in any public forum. That of course means nowt in terms of getting the best from a group of players.

Agreed. I think he speaks very well but perhaps is a victim of his own honesty sometimes. Better that than an Ian McCall type, repeating ad nauseam how we were “unlucky”, or “didn’t get the breaks”.

As for your last sentence, I don’t think not getting the best out of the players is necessarily the problem. I think the players simply not being very good is our main concern. Obviously the manager is still culpable as he signed most of them.

We’ve been frustratingly inconsistent, but we haven’t had any long barren runs without victories that some of his predecessors oversaw.

Guest Flash
37 minutes ago, palmy_cammy said:

We’ve been frustratingly inconsistent, but we haven’t had any long barren runs without victories that some of his predecessors oversaw.

The inconsistency has been worse in the latter part of the season, giving the feeling that the season is falling away.

We took 21 points from the first 12 games, with 6 wins. Average that out over a season and you get 63 points.

We have taken 17 points from the last 16 games, with 4 wins. Average that out over a season and you get 38 points.

So although there hasn’t been a winless run, helped by wins over Brechin and Dumbarton, after a fairly decent start, our form has dropped quite dramatically. But that might just be because we were able to beat Brechin twice, Falkirk twice and Dumbarton in the first 12 games.

Archived