QOS V League Leaders

6 minutes ago, Skyline Drifter said:

Well no, betting on the game is not illegal. However, providing live in play updates from SPFL matches IS unless you are from Opta who have paid for a license to do it. Dont know about St Mirren but at Palmerston we have neen plagued by one particular company who try to do it regularly without paying for a licence. On instruction from the League, stewards are looking for it and different reps of theirs have been removed from the ground several times. 

Sounds like the steward was asked to check what he was doing and who he was working for and got his instructions garbled. If your guy was from Opta (& they did have a rep there) all he needed to do was confirm it. If he wasnt from Opta he absolutely shouldnt be providing in play stats and should have been asked to stop immediately or be removed.

Well in that case the steward is an even bigger moron than I thought because the guy said he was doing stats for in-play betting, said who he worked for and specifically said he didn't do the Opta stats, that was someone else. But rather than tell him to stop he just told him betting was illegal. 

I'd originally thought he was coming to inquire if the guy was Periscoping the game which would have been fair enough.

• Replies 342
  • Created
  • Last Reply
13 minutes ago, Rjc-1988 said:

No irony whatsoever!!!!

You are effectively assuming that the only place Beerman can play is LB.

I think Beerman was signed as a left back when Jordan was injured but unless I am mistaken I think he has only played once at LB - his other brief appearances have been in left midfield. This would tend to suggest that our manager sees Beerman more of a midfielder. He even played Mercer ahead of Beerman at LB at Inverness which is hardly a ringing endorsement.

I am certainly not suggesting omitting Marshall in favour of Beerman but on the basis that we have so few midfielders who can actually pass the ball I would have thought that Beerman was worthy of some more game time especially when our results and performances have been pretty awful almost throughout the entire time that he has been with us.

I am pretty sure that when clubs like Rangers loan out players to Championship teams they expect them to get a decent amount of game time. We are not here to develop players from Rangers but equally if we bring players on loan then I think there is an expectation that it is a win:win for both clubs. When we loan players to Annan a similar expectation applies.

He signed Beerman as a left back when Marshall was out injured. For a variety of reasons however he had limited availability prior to Marshall's return. He wasnt fully fit when he arrived and wasnt available for the win at Livi and not changing the defence the next week at Inverness was hardly a major surprise, though we were poor there. Since then he missed a fortnight with concussion and will now miss the next two games on international duty. Its been hard for him to get a proper run and he only turned 19 last week. Our paucity at left midfield and strength at left back is more likely why his appearances have generally been at left midfield rather than any belief by anyone that it is his best position.

Hopefully when he gets back from international duty he will get a chance to get some more game time though.

If we get promoted, one of the things I'll miss most about the Championship is the torrid time we seem to give Scott Mercer . Usually it's just Morgan that does it but today Magennis and Reilly were getting in on the act too.

I know Morgan roasted Mercer in a game at Palmerston previously after which he was dropped but he has now had a great run in the team and has improved immensely. He  may have been slightly intimidated in the second half being in front of the Buddies but I still thought he recovered a few times pretty well.

2 minutes ago, Stu said:

Well in that case the steward is an even bigger moron than I thought because the guy said he was doing stats for in-play betting, said who he worked for and specifically said he didn't do the Opta stats, that was someone else. But rather than tell him to stop he just told him betting was illegal. 

I'd originally thought he was coming to inquire if the guy was Periscoping the game which would have been fair enough.

You are right, the steward has cocked up there and the guy has got away with it. Which is irritating. I will feed that back. We had extra stewarding today with a number on duty who dont usually work at Palmerston.

20 minutes ago, Stu said:

I was covering the game for Saints today and sitting beside a guy who was using his mobile to provide stats for betting companies - stuff they use for in-play betting. Steward came up and asked him what he was doing, saying betting on the game was illegal. Guy tried to explain about four times what he was doing before the steward finally understood and said that was fine but “betting on the game was illegal”. After he buggered off the two of us looked at each other in bewilderment.

Definitely not the brightest chap. Later on he asked me who I was covering the game for and said St Mirren, only to be asked with an accusatory tone something like “Are you working for St Mirren?”. By this point I’d had enough and just have him a snarky response.

10 minutes ago, Skyline Drifter said:

Well no, betting on the game is not illegal. However, providing live in play updates from SPFL matches IS unless you are from Opta who have paid for a license to do it. Dont know about St Mirren but at Palmerston we have neen plagued by one particular company who try to do it regularly without paying for a licence. On instruction from the League, stewards are looking for it and different reps of theirs have been removed from the ground several times. 

Sounds like the steward was asked to check what he was doing and who he was working for and got his instructions garbled. If your guy was from Opta (& they did have a rep there) all he needed to do was confirm it. If he wasnt from Opta he absolutely shouldnt be providing in play stats and should have been asked to stop immediately or be removed.

A few years back I used to do this at games, no idea if it was illegal or not but it was pretty easy money. Go to games, get a bloke with a South Asian accent phone you and you have about five different things to say to convey where the ball is. Bit surprised that it's "illegal" tbf. 

Just now, Grant228 said:

A few years back I used to do this at games, no idea if it was illegal or not but it was pretty easy money. Go to games, get a bloke with a South Asian accent phone you and you have about five different things to say to convey where the ball is. Bit surprised that it's "illegal" tbf. 

Its not strictly "illegal" as in contrary to the law of the land. It is a breach of SPFL Ground Regulations though and clubs are obliged to look for it and remove anybody doing it who hasnt paid for the rights to do it.

Why should Opta pay a significant fee to do it (which is ultimately going into the pockets of the clubs) if some other lot can come along and just do it for no fee?

7 minutes ago, Skyline Drifter said:

You are right, the steward has cocked up there and the guy has got away with it. Which is irritating. I will feed that back. We had extra stewarding today with a number on duty who dont usually work at Palmerston.

Oh Christ I'll have folk calling me a grass now :lol:

6 minutes ago, Grant228 said:

It's even easier money now as he was just using an app, probably makes it hardier to spot.

3 hours ago, palmy_cammy said:

Playing Rankin further forward and Thomson deeper worked far better than on Tuesday when they were the other way round. Neither are performing at their best just now though, and Jacobs is completely off the boil.

I thought playing Rankin further forward was laughable. 

2 hours ago, QOSQOS said:

Up until HT I thought we were doing better than expected (I had low expectations). The goal we conceded was poor, it wasn’t Morgan’s mazy run that did for us but more that Mullen was left all alone - did Mercer leave him un-marked? Someone did...

Then a surprisingly well worked goal from us, lovely bit of passing down the left and Marshall slotting home. Rest of half was even - Saints only had one other shot on target.

I was hoping for more of the same second half, but we gave away a free kick in a very dangerous place. It was a soft one, I’m not even sure it was a foul. I wondered if Leighfield should have got it, but if it was low and just inside the post that may be harsh. We await the replay.

That seemed to deflate us and we never really got going. 

The third goal was too easy, and that was it.

I’d have left Ferguson on and taken off Lyle, but the game was gone by then.

Bizarrely, with three draws in the division we didn’t lose much ground to our play-off rivals, but the way we’re playing we’re wondering where our next win will come from, let alone putting a run of wins together. Have a feeling the season is going to fizzle out.......

I agree with all that apart from Fergusson staying on instead of Lyle.

12 minutes ago, Skyline Drifter said:

Its not strictly "illegal" as in contrary to the law of the land. It is a breach of SPFL Ground Regulations though and clubs are obliged to look for it and remove anybody doing it who hasnt paid for the rights to do it.

Why should Opta pay a significant fee to do it (which is ultimately going into the pockets of the clubs) if some other lot can come along and just do it for no fee?

No idea, I emailed clubs beforehand so that I could get free entry and never got pulled up in it though. 

I don’t think the pitch is the problem. If you take Dobbie’s goals and assists out of our away results, we would be 10 points worse off. Dumbarton would be 2 points better off, so we would be 9th. Basically, if you replaced Dobbie with Tam Brighton, this team is as bad as the one that was relegated.

It would also be interesting to see how this season’s budget compares to the one Gus had.

2 hours ago, Buddist Monk said:

2 minutes in and Jack gets a couple of drops of water on his Cardigan. I can only hope Queens send him an apology first thing Monday morning. #pray4thecardie.

1 hour ago, palmy_cammy said:

It would also be interesting to see how this season’s budget compares to the one Gus had.

I dont imagine it will be as low as people think! Martin on a 2 year deal wont be on buttons, Stirling on a 2 year deal wont be on buttons. Both of whom turned down other offers. Dobbie wont be on buttons. Lyle, Rankin, Dykes, Fordyce, Marshall and Jacobs will all be getting a fair whack.  Others like Mercer, Carmichael, Brownlie and Rooney will all be on average level championship wages.  Im sure we are also paying a fair percentage for the loan boys like Thomson, Cameron, Beerman and Thomas. We have unfortunately gave the wrong players 2 year deals and extended guys like Dykes contract :(. Naysmith has made really poor signings and must take some blame for some of his dealings. 

Archived