Will Dumbarton Score Before the Playoffs?

Will Dumbarton Score Before the Playoffs?  

45 members have voted

You do not have permission to vote in this poll, or see the poll results. Please sign in or register to vote in this poll.

Don't despair. We once went over a year without winning a league game. This is just a blip.

Actually, scratch that.  This season is beginning to look distressingly like the one in which that horrible run started.

(Even if I do think we have a better team now than that one.)

• Replies 42
  • Created
  • Last Reply
  • 3 weeks later...

BUMP

Ok, so we broke the duck against Brechin, but does that really count?

• By the time Yinitet visit the Rock on Saturday it will have been 102 days since our last goal against a full-time time in the league.
  • That's almost 30% of a year.
  • We've scored five in our last 15 (yes, 15) league games. Four against Brechin, one against Livi...in a 1-4 defeat.
  • We've only scored in five home league games over the past calendar year.
  • Managing eight goals in that time.
  • Our starting lineup last night have six league goals between them this season (Froxy, 4, Handling 1, SeaGal 1) 
  • Only Froxy had scored against someone other than Brechin. Inverness and Dunfermline in his case. The other two were against Brechin.

So the question is, will Dumbarton make it to the playoffs without scoring again?

Obviously I'm taking nothing for granted as you could still catch us, however unlikely that may be, but I feel you really need to start scoring regularly before going into potential games against either Ayr or Raith. Both of those teams have their tails up and it's likely to go right to the wire before the title is won so both will probably still be flying going into the playoffs.

Best case scenario for you would be either Alloa or Arbroath 'doing a Brechin' as you would surely have a better chance of getting through? Mind you, I'm sure Raith Rovers thought exactly the same thing at the end of last season!

38 minutes ago, sonsanorak said:

Wait, we've scored 8 home goals in a year?

In the league, aye.

Credit to Andy G for that one by the way. I couldn't believe it when I  read it, and actually checked a few times myself.

30 minutes ago, ShaggerG said:

Obviously I'm taking nothing for granted as you could still catch us, however unlikely that may be, but I feel you really need to start scoring regularly before going into potential games against either Ayr or Raith. Both of those teams have their tails up and it's likely to go right to the wire before the title is won so both will probably still be flying going into the playoffs.

Best case scenario for you would be either Alloa or Arbroath 'doing a Brechin' as you would surely have a better chance of getting through? Mind you, I'm sure Raith Rovers thought exactly the same thing at the end of last season!

Alloa made a couple of cracking loan signings in the shape of Stewart and Kirkpatrick and have been very good since the turn of the year. I'd fancy them to come up ahead of Raith and would pick them to beat Dumbarton too.

39 minutes ago, ShaggerG said:

:lol:

We're catching no one and unless we get everyone fit we aren't scoring goals either.  We've already beaten Raith comfortably this season though, so I wouldn't mind facing them again. Alloa have a former Sons hero in Garry Fleming, I'd rather avoid them. Arbroath would probably beat us too tbh.

1 hour ago, The Moonster said:

We're catching no one and unless we get everyone fit we aren't scoring goals either.  We've already beaten Raith comfortably this season though, so I wouldn't mind facing them again. Alloa have a former Sons hero in Garry Fleming, I'd rather avoid them. Arbroath would probably beat us too tbh.

In a perverse way if we are to go down, then I wouldn't mind Garry being the man to do it. There are two reasons for this: Firstly because he was a smashing player for us, and I'd be pleased for him on a personal level (rather than being relegated by some Arbroath or Raith jobber), and secondly because it would put a wee group of our fans in a quite bizarre position!

I felt against us your back 4 looked very comfortable once your were handed the customary 2 goals lead ( it's the City Way [emoji23]) . I d fancy you guys to win play offs although a Dick Campbell teams never beaten until final whistle and when needed Arbroath fans turn out in great number s which helps their team .
Your experience in Championship should see off Raith as well I'd guess

Don’t forget graham taggart Cawley and Kirkpatrick,

Archived