Dundee FC's Next Permanent Manager

Who will be Dundee's next permanent manager?  

109 members have voted

You do not have permission to vote in this poll, or see the poll results. Please sign in or register to vote in this poll.

1 hour ago, The Master said:

The rumour I've heard (probably 4th hand or more) is McCann out, McIntyre in, both today.

That would be horrendous.

• Replies 188
  • Created
  • Last Reply

I'm Jocky or nothing right now when I hear names like McIntyre, McCall and Yogi.

Jocky to the end of the season (Or at least as part of the management team) then try and tempt a quality appointment then such as Jack Ross or of that ilk.

9 minutes ago, Ludo*1 said:

I'm Jocky or nothing right now when I hear names like McIntyre, McCall and Yogi.

Sounds like the name of a law firm you’d only go to after Lionel Hutz turned down your case. 

I've calmed myself down thinking about McIntyre, as he'd insist on bringing Dodds in. And unless our board wanted West Ham style scenes, then that won't happen.

Panic over.

I cant pretend to follow all the old timers and where they are now, the way some here can run off player and manager history going back decades, but from what I understand, Jocky has hit his 70's and hasn't been involved in football to any serious level for quite some time.  This is the solution?

2 minutes ago, rainbowrising said:

I cant pretend to follow all the old timers and where they are now, the way some here can run off player and manager history going back decades, but from what I understand, Jocky has hit his 70's and hasn't been involved in football to any serious level for quite some time.  This is the solution?

Welcome to Scottish football, where everyone bemoans a lack of forward thinking advertising then demands their club hire Jocky Scott or Craig Brown every time they start to struggle 

5 minutes ago, RandomGuy. said:

Welcome to Scottish football, where everyone bemoans a lack of forward thinking advertising then demands their club hire Jocky Scott or Craig Brown every time they start to struggle 

Pretty much how I see things too. 

Jocky cannot be the answer.  At all.

5 minutes ago, Ludo*1 said:

I've calmed myself down thinking about McIntyre, as he'd insist on bringing Dodds in. And unless our board wanted West Ham style scenes, then that won't happen.

Panic over.

I'm not so convinced the Dodds situation is irrecoverable tbh. It'd be highly contentious but I've noticed a cooling of tensions towards him in recent seasons by a lot of our support, particularly when he put forward his side of things and pretty much said that legal counsel advised him that our CVA was low and could have been increased (which although would have been an additional burden for us - we escaped the repayments VERY quickly-, I'd be very surprised if that wasn't true tbh).

Maybe underestimating the ill feeling but he likes to talk and I could see him being somebody who could quite effectively communicate his side of things and garner a bit of understanding. I hated him before it was cool (and still think he made a huge error in judgement) and really don't want him at the club but it wouldn't drive me to protest.

2 hours ago, PauloPerth said:

If that is it for McCann then it's a hell of a negative way to finish your managerial career. Humped 4-0 at home then involved in a big bust up at the end.  Would be hard to see how or where he could make a return to management in the future.

What bust up? Tommy and Zander shat it. 

I'm not so convinced the Dodds situation is irrecoverable tbh. It'd be highly contentious but I've noticed a cooling of tensions towards him in recent seasons by a lot of our support, particularly when he put forward his side of things and pretty much said that legal counsel advised him that our CVA was low and could have been increased (which although would have been an additional burden for us - we escaped the repayments VERY quickly-, I'd be very surprised if that wasn't true tbh).
Maybe underestimating the ill feeling but he likes to talk and I could see him being somebody who could quite effectively communicate his side of things and garner a bit of understanding. I hated him before it was cool (and still think he made a huge error in judgement) and really don't want him at the club but it wouldn't drive me to protest.

I'm going full NDD if Dodds is appointed.

3 hours ago, The Master said:

Now probably (definitely) isn't the time for experiments - although it did work at the end of last season to be fair - but it would be fascinating to see Ian Cathro back in management, with a proper backroom staff. Give him an experienced assistant to learn from (Jocky Scott?) rather than being told what to do by an egotistical maniac and he might actually shut Kris Boyd's pus.

But as I say, maybe not the time for experiments. If the unthinkable happens and we end up going down, then there's certainly worse plans. 

Can whatever lunatic troll has hacked into The Master's account please log out and give us back our sane and sensible poster please?

Danke. 

4 hours ago, harry94 said:

This is why selling players and getting a great deal can be a total fallacy.

Say what you like about McCann and the position he has found himself in right now and what action Dundee have to take but this all changed on 31st January at 23:59 when a team that were finally settled and one of the form teams in the division lost two key players. Caulker is obviously a great talent and at a high level, Kusunga isn't dreadful, Murray has a very good goalscoring record but trying to work out a team from what we have is very difficult at this stage of the season as the manager really needs to be able to say 'f**k it' and show a bit of conviction in maybe picking teams that don't initially pick up points (against huge fan and media pressure) or compromise their core ideals.

We're likely now in a position where at least a sizeable proportion of the Hendry money will go down the drain towards fixing this and even if some of it is left with the change of managment team, it might be all gone ten fold when we get relegated.

If he goes today, we won't know how well another season of McCann will go but I do genuinely think he could have built a very strong squad here given a second window and he does have something that could make him successful in management if it was a career he wishes to pursue. He's definitely got the ability to spot a player and seems to have the ability to communicate which is very valuable in selling the club to potential signing targets. That sterner consistency and ability to maybe spot what's round the horizon (i.e. the way St Johnstone play isn't a surprise to anyone in Scotland by now and I'm sure we all know that the absence of our two key midfield players was going to be a huge issue if we tried to play the same way) and put into action periodic plans is what's missing. Our players don't know what to expect from him with the constant switch from defence to attack and that's a huge issue. Hartley had to go at the time he did and I wouldn't have trusted him with more money to spend at this level but even he managed to go defensive and grind out the points quite often until the very end.

If he does go, priority number one for the job would be Robbie Neilson short-term or long-term - that's probably unrealistic though as I'd imagine he's maybe got something better lined up. Short-term, at least McIntyre knows the league well and I think he would be capable of shoring things up and getting the points on the board, I'd just be apprehensive about the promise of a long-term deal as his signings seem a bit Hartley-ish.

This is kind of where questions should probably be asked of Nelms IMO. Not in a "sack the board" type way just simply whether he's fully grasping the nature of football and by extension what the general vision/plan/model is for the club.

If he's just bought into some patter about football "philosophy" and been mugged off then is he really in the best place to be making decisions on who replaces McCann (whenever that may be) and what qualities they need to succeed in this league?

Other teams have sold key players and got on just fine. We cashed in on Moult (you and I exchanged posts about this a few months ago) brought in Main and Ciftci and barring Saturday's bodying by Accies we've largely been fine since the winter break. Similarly we sold Heneghan in the summer and recruited 3 centre halves for free, we're better defensively now than we were with Heneghan in the side and have a bit more cash in the bank. Well done us.

You're right, it's a risk but it's how you prepare for it that's important. Selling your player at the last minute may drive up the price but if it fucks you after that then to quote Mixu: what's the fucking point? We found that out to our cost when we sold Johnson. However those in charge of things learned from the mistake and changed their approach. You can probably look at Nelms and ask whether he's taken anything from the extended fall out from recent transfer deals.

The Hendry deal (and all it entailed) isn't the first time that Dundee have damaged themselves recently with a transfer, you look at the way things panned out for Hartley after Hemmings and Stewart were sold and you should probably be asking questions. Not about the sales themselves but about the manner of the sales. Especially given Hartley seemed to be erm, misinformed about the likelihood of them leaving. 

It's hindsight and everything but you can probably raise questions about McCann even getting the job in the first place. Had he really done enough as interim to justify getting the job on a permanent basis? Was a candidate with virtually no managerial experience really what the club needed after Hartley?

Archived