Dundee FC's Next Permanent Manager

Who will be Dundee's next permanent manager?  

109 members have voted

You do not have permission to vote in this poll, or see the poll results. Please sign in or register to vote in this poll.

• Replies 188
  • Created
  • Last Reply
6 hours ago, RandomGuy. said:

It'll be Hughes, Pressley or some other "philosophy" manager who can sell themselves. 

If Dundee had any bollocks to live up to this "sleeping giant" myth they peddle, they'd go balls out and get Jack Ross

I didn't really pay particularly close attention at the time but if Ross didnt move in summer then why would he do it now? St Mirren are obviously in a better position now and Dundee have at best stagnated.

I didn't really pay particularly close attention at the time but if Ross didnt move in summer then why would he do it now? St Mirren are obviously in a better position now and Dundee have at best stagnated.

Because we didn't get to the point of actually offering a deal. McCann got in touch to say he'd changed his mind and we hastily backtracked.

7 hours ago, DeeTillEhDeh said:

Tactics and organisation.

Playing players in their correct position or if forced to play out of position a natural fit and not some powderpuff midget bairns.

I think we do have enough to stay up - if we play a game that suits the skills of our players and not a game where we we think they are more skilled than they are.

Midfield needs a serious shakeup - it's the reason why we close sloppy goals through not protecting our defence or supporting up front. Personally I'd rather have a defender in midfield playing the holding role than the pish we are getting right now.

I saw posts almost identical to this about Hartley a year ago. To be fair to McCann, these mistakes are coming a lot earlier in his career. 

7 hours ago, 7-2 said:

Is there room to add Jamie Carragher's name to the list?

"I'm spitting on every one of you c***s if you don't win today".

6 hours ago, YassinMoutaouakil said:

I think 'regressed' is the word you're looking for. Shipping four at home each to Ross fucking County and St fucking Johnstone is embarrassing. I don't think there's any coming back from this tbh, but I don't see the point in getting rid of him just now. They'd be better getting the new boy ready for after our inevitable 0 points out of the next four games. A new manager isn't going to get any points out of those games either and that's not a good start to win the players and fans over. 

Hiya Jocky, hiya pal!

Correct.

What length of contract is McCann on? I had a look back to when he was appointed and there's no mention of it on your official website or in any articles I checked.

Obviously you got the Hendry money in January, but if he's on a three year deal or anything like that and rumours about having a very good wage are true then paying it off sees a lot of money going down the drain. Of course that's no issue if he's only on one year or some kind of rolling contract, and the money you'd lose paying him off would be dwarfed by the amount you'd lose through relegation so it shouldn't keep him in his job, but it'd be good to know.

If Jocky's days of returning to save the day towards the end of a season are done; time for Jim Duffy's third spell?

14 minutes ago, Dunning1874 said:

What length of contract is McCann on? I had a look back to when he was appointed and there's no mention of it on your official website or in any articles I checked.

Obviously you got the Hendry money in January, but if he's on a three year deal or anything like that and rumours about having a very good wage are true then paying it off sees a lot of money going down the drain. Of course that's no issue if he's only on one year or some kind of rolling contract, and the money you'd lose paying him off would dwarf the amount you'd lose through relegation so it shouldn't keep him in his job, but it'd be good to know.

If Jocky's days of returning to save the day towards the end of a season are done; time for Jim Duffy's third spell?

Duffy's a bit marmite to Dundee fans. When we were relegated back in 2005, it was largely down his tactical intransigence in the last few games. On the other hand, he was managing the club (not for the first time) through a financial shambles (he's done so previously in the mid-90s), and considering what a fucking mess the club was in, I think the Marrs deserve at least an equal share in the blame for that disastrous spell. They actually gave him the first few games of the following season, before replacing him with Alan fucking Kernaghan. 

That said, he's not the type of manager for the situation we're in. We're not scoring goals, so we need someone to come in and be able shitfest the f**k out of our games until the end of the season. I don't think that really suits Duffy. 

Duffy's a bit marmite to Dundee fans. When we were relegated back in 2005, it was largely down his tactical intransigence in the last few games. On the other hand, he was managing the club (not for the first time) through a financial shambles (he's done so previously in the mid-90s), and considering what a fucking mess the club was in, I think the Marrs deserve at least an equal share in the blame for that disastrous spell. They actually gave him the first few games of the following season, before replacing him with Alan fucking Kernaghan. 
That said, he's not the type of manager for the situation we're in. We're not scoring goals, so we need someone to come in and be able shitfest the f**k out of our games until the end of the season. I don't think that really suits Duffy. 

If we appoint Duffy two things are certain:

1) We'd get relegated
2) He'd take us to a cup final

Such is the rollercoaster of a Jim Duffy managerial term.

57 minutes ago, Dunning1874 said:

Obviously you got the Hendry money in January, but if he's on a three year deal or anything like that and rumours about having a very good wage are true then paying it off sees a lot of money going down the drain. Of course that's no issue if he's only on one year or some kind of rolling contract, and the money you'd lose paying him off would be dwarfed by the amount you'd lose through relegation so it shouldn't keep him in his job, but it'd be good to know.

The Scotsman had it as a shree year deal at the time:

“It became apparent it [the offer of permanent manager] was just too good to turn down,” he says, having signed a three-year deal with Dundee. “My gut was pulling me towards the management side. It was just too strong. I made the call.”

You'd think there would surely be performance related breaks in there though. Giving a cast iron 3 year contract to a TV pundit with no managerial experience beyond 5 games in an interim role seems pretty mental.

6 minutes ago, capt_oats said:

You'd think there would surely be performance related breaks in there though. Giving a cast iron 3 year contract to a TV pundit with no managerial experience beyond 5 games in an interim role seems pretty mental.

Dundee FC

11 hours ago, Ludo*1 said:

There's a rumour on FB which has now spread through the various versions of social media that we are about to offload McCann.

The rumour I've heard (probably 4th hand or more) is McCann out, McIntyre in, both today.

This is why selling players and getting a great deal can be a total fallacy.

Say what you like about McCann and the position he has found himself in right now and what action Dundee have to take but this all changed on 31st January at 23:59 when a team that were finally settled and one of the form teams in the division lost two key players. Caulker is obviously a great talent and at a high level, Kusunga isn't dreadful, Murray has a very good goalscoring record but trying to work out a team from what we have is very difficult at this stage of the season as the manager really needs to be able to say 'f**k it' and show a bit of conviction in maybe picking teams that don't initially pick up points (against huge fan and media pressure) or compromise their core ideals.

We're likely now in a position where at least a sizeable proportion of the Hendry money will go down the drain towards fixing this and even if some of it is left with the change of managment team, it might be all gone ten fold when we get relegated.

If he goes today, we won't know how well another season of McCann will go but I do genuinely think he could have built a very strong squad here given a second window and he does have something that could make him successful in management if it was a career he wishes to pursue. He's definitely got the ability to spot a player and seems to have the ability to communicate which is very valuable in selling the club to potential signing targets. That sterner consistency and ability to maybe spot what's round the horizon (i.e. the way St Johnstone play isn't a surprise to anyone in Scotland by now and I'm sure we all know that the absence of our two key midfield players was going to be a huge issue if we tried to play the same way) and put into action periodic plans is what's missing. Our players don't know what to expect from him with the constant switch from defence to attack and that's a huge issue. Hartley had to go at the time he did and I wouldn't have trusted him with more money to spend at this level but even he managed to go defensive and grind out the points quite often until the very end.

If he does go, priority number one for the job would be Robbie Neilson short-term or long-term - that's probably unrealistic though as I'd imagine he's maybe got something better lined up. Short-term, at least McIntyre knows the league well and I think he would be capable of shoring things up and getting the points on the board, I'd just be apprehensive about the promise of a long-term deal as his signings seem a bit Hartley-ish.

Classic example of a club with ideas above it's station.  Dundee are traditionally a yo-yo team who make little to no impact on the cups.  I fail to see what Neil McCann has done which is out of the ordinary.

Now probably (definitely) isn't the time for experiments - although it did work at the end of last season to be fair - but it would be fascinating to see Ian Cathro back in management, with a proper backroom staff. Give him an experienced assistant to learn from (Jocky Scott?) rather than being told what to do by an egotistical maniac and he might actually shut Kris Boyd's pus.

But as I say, maybe not the time for experiments. If the unthinkable happens and we end up going down, then there's certainly worse plans. 

1 hour ago, capt_oats said:

The Scotsman had it as a shree year deal at the time:

I always think it's mental when a manager (in general, not just McCann) leads a team to relegation then gets a huge pay out in lieu of their contract when they get punted.  All clubs should have it written in that if relegated, manager is sacked and maybe gets 3 months wage as notice or something.  It's basically completely failing to do the job you were brought in to do.

If that is it for McCann then it's a hell of a negative way to finish your managerial career. Humped 4-0 at home then involved in a big bust up at the end.  Would be hard to see how or where he could make a return to management in the future.

Archived