Queens v Dundee United

• Replies 194
  • Created
  • Last Reply
2 minutes ago, palmy_cammy said:

I'm not sure what to say about that really?  The first half was good, we shared a cracking goal apiece and largely matched each other with Queens perhaps edging it slightly.  Second half was just a complete no-show from ourselves.  United scored a screamer and then followed it up with a scrappy tap in and that was that.

Not a great night for the officials.  Mikkelsen must have had three or four blatant dives that went unpunished.  Scott McDonald looked to have been blatantly tripped in our box and gets a booking for it!  I also thought Mikkelsen possibly hand-balled it in the lead up to his goal but it was a corker of a finish.  He ran our defence ragged tonight which was a real surprise given his previous performances.

I suppose it isn't a huge surprise that we lacked belief once Dobbie went off, but it is still inexcusable.  Where was the leadership from our supposed captain Rankin?  Of course you can't really expect the players to have belief in themselves when the manager doesn't have belief in the players.  4-5-1 at home in a must-win game is pathetic.  Thomson looked absolutely lost in behind Dobbie.  Dykes was dreadful and Jacobs and Rankin constantly giving the ball away is getting a bit tedious to watch now.  Thomas looks good when he does things, but he doesn't get involved often enough.  Leighfield was probably our man of the match again.  He was blameless for the goals, made a number of smart saves including a few good "sweeper keeper" clearances after our outfield players had made a hash of things.

Leighfield surely at fault for the 2 nd goal  okay it was a good hit but he has to save that  You are going to get that with young players .We had nothing after Dobbie went off.

12 minutes ago, djchapsticks said:

Well, you have to imagine taking a bad enough one to go off injured in the first half an hour in the midweek game would at least make you doubtful for Saturday.

Wrapping him in cotton wool for the big game on Saturday.;)

So not only did we play tonight, we won. And not only did we win tonight, we came from behind to do so? Unbelievable - 100% record since TBS stood down, he should have gone sooner.

Given we had only picked up about 1 point from a losing position all season, and the team we put out, I am absolutely astonished by tonight's result.

1 hour ago, palmy_cammy said:

Not a great night for the officials.  Mikkelsen must have had three or four blatant dives that went unpunished.  Scott McDonald looked to have been blatantly tripped in our box and gets a booking for it!  I also thought Mikkelsen possibly hand-balled it in the lead up to his goal but it was a corker of a finish.  He ran our defence ragged tonight which was a real surprise given his previous performances.

This more or less.

I don't want it to sound like sour grapes. United were decent and deserved their win and Mikkelsen was the best player on the pitch by a mile. I don't agree that was any real surprise. I thought he did well against us last year too. He was by miles United's best player in our 4-2 win here last season too and scored twice that day.

However, I thought the officials were poor tonight. United started out very physically. Murdoch committed a horrible challenge in the first couple of minutes and could conceivably have seen red for it yet somehow got no booking at all. He then got booked later for another poor challenge. That one was worth a booking but he should at the very least have already been on one. Then Flood for me cynically took Dobbie out deliberately. Not saying he meant to injure him but it was a clearly deliberate foul and he too didn't go in the book for it. Meantime Mikkelsen, good as he was, dived on at least two occasions. Ironic then that at the end for me it's a clear penalty for a foul on McDonald by Fordyce and he gets booked for diving!

Great goal from Thomas. Great finish from Mikkelsen too, though it was suicidal from us in the lead up. Can't comment on the 2nd goal as I didn't see it. Was told he hit it well from outside the box. Third was a scrappy poorly defended set piece. Would like to see Lyle's two offside efforts again. I'm told from the footage the first one was really tight and might have been onside. Think the second one was probably comfortably offside though.

Bad night for us. Poor result, Dunfermline won too. At least Livi's late equaliser saved Morton from going further clear. Need to find a surprise result in the next two or three or the playoffs will be out of reach before April.

First half we were playing well with Thomas on the right and we were the better team. Dobbie goes off injured ( which is a worry) and we fall to pieces. Why was Thomas moved across to the left in the second half, which we were never in?

Feel really deflated tonight. Heard some news tonight that I won't go into detail about but it certainly explains why some of our support don't like our chairman.

Anyway, we really are a one man team. After Dobbie left the park two thoughts entered my mind: 1) We weren't going to win and 2) If he is out long-term I will struggle to bother my arse attending for the rest of the season. I was watching thinking how bad things are going to be when he packs it in and we take away Thomas and Thomson. Cannon fodder.

I think we would have got something from the game if he never got injured. In the end Utd got what they deserved. Without the highlights my initials thoughts on the key points were I thought Mikkelson handled it for his goal (and his jersey must be covered in black pellets as he was never off the deck). I thought McDonald dived but my view wasn't the best as our defender was between him and me.

The second Utd goal was a topper. How the RB stayed on the park was incredible. His first foul was a clear yellow and about 10 minutes later he puts in an almost identical challenge and is booked. Incredible.

Shoehorning the useless Rankin in again. Please just drop him already. Awful.

Thomas (Im his biggest critic) was having a great game on the right wing! He used both feet and Robson had no idea how to handle him. Why we made him change wings for the sake of Connor Murray god only knows as he was totally ineffective when moved. Murray done nowt either. Naysmiths recent signings have been poor. Cameron, Beerman, Todorov all cant get any game time so whats the point of getting them if they arent improvements to what we have? Rankin was rank rotten and Dykes was his usual pishy self. By god the guy is awful. Being honest it was brutal without Dobbie, you looked through the rest of the team and wondered where the goals would come from. Lyle looked sharp off the bench apart from a few wayward passes. I thought Thomson was much more like his old self in an advanced role harrying and chasing with gusto for about an hour before fading. Please please get Dykes and Rankin to france. Both are not good enough. Most can see this. Please Naysmith see what everyone else is seeing! 

For Dundee Utd they showed good energy and Mikkelson was class! He looked alot better than last season. Fast, strong and excellent link up play. Lovely finish for the goal. Durnan was very good too.

9 hours ago, Northfield 53 said:

Leighfield surely at fault for the 2 nd goal  okay it was a good hit but he has to save that  You are going to get that with young players .We had nothing after Dobbie went off.

Totally this.

I'm surprised to see it described as a cracking goal.  Yes, it was a good hit with little back lift, but it wasn't out of the 'keeper's reach.  It went through his arms as he mistimed his swipe at it.  I thought it was a bad mistake that set the tone for our witless second half.

8 hours ago, 19QOS19 said:

Feel really deflated tonight. Heard some news tonight that I won't go into detail about but it certainly explains why some of our support don't like our chairman.

No need detail just a little more info...

1 hour ago, Monkey Tennis said:

Totally this.

I'm surprised to see it described as a cracking goal.  Yes, it was a good hit with little back lift, but it wasn't out of the 'keeper's reach.  It went through his arms as he mistimed his swipe at it.  I thought it was a bad mistake that set the tone for our witless second half.

It'll never stop ceasing to amaze me how different people at the same game can see the same incident so differently!  From my vantage point it looked like an unstoppable pile-driver into the top corner, well out of reach of the goalkeeper.  Generally my automatic reaction to goals like that is to find blame at the outfield players for inviting the shot rather than blame the goalie.  I was taken by surprise by that shot though and I'm not even sure who should have done better at closing it down.  Perhaps Leighfield was also taken by surprise?

Anyway if we are going to be critical of the goals we conceded last night surely it is the third that deserves all the attention?  It very much epitomised our second half performance.

10 hours ago, 19QOS19 said:

Maybe the reason that some fans don't like our Chairman is not remotely connected to what you are alluding to (or rather what you are  not alluding to.)   We won't know unless you give some detail. If it's not football connected though then don't bother. 

Our home record and continual inability to beat our main play off rivals is extremely frustrating. The thought of another season under GN doesn't inspire any confidence (others will disagree). I keep hoping that he will prove me wrong but when a decent opportunity comes along to improve our position the defeat invariably follows.

We played well first half - Thomas was excellent and the goal was a brilliant effort. Dobbie's injury was a stark reminder of just how devoid of flair we are without him.

GN has had 3 transfer windows to get in a decent passer of the ball in midfield and has failed to address this vital area. Surely he can't need further evidence that any combo of Thomson, Jacobs and Rankin is not going to cut it.

Marshall and Thomas did well last night and Leighfield had some very good saves. The central defence was awful - Cameron must surely deserve a chance.

The inconsistency of our rivals keep giving us opportunities but can anyone realistically believe that we will ever take them?

No need detail just a little more info...

Lack of ambition and overstepping his bounds in areas he should have nothing to do with. I was wanting Naysmith out but if what I've been told is true then I'd expect him to leave once his contract is up.

Archived