Players a bit unlucky not to have more capso

Brian McClair...

20 goals in 52 games at Motherwell whilst still a teenager.

126 goals in 204 games at Celtic - 1x league title, 1x Scottish Cup, 2x Premier Division top goalscorer, 1x Scottish Writers Player of the Year, 1x SPFA Player of the year.

127 goals in 471 games at Manchester United -1x UEFA Cup Winners Cup, 1x UEFA Super Cup, 4x Premier League Titles, 3x FA Cup, 1x League Cup, 5x Charity Shield, 1x  Fans Player of the year.

...Only 30 caps for Scotland, never capped after 1993 despite playing for Manchester United regularly until 1998. Bit of a travesty that.

• Replies 199
  • Created
  • Last Reply
22 hours ago, Gordopolis said:

24 Wolves
22 Rangers
21 Rangers
21 Rangers
20 Wolves

Boyd hit 31 once, 26 twice, 25 and 22, all for Rangers, all domestic - for a side who don't really have to worry too much about keeping it tight at the back.

How many Euro goals did Boyd score? How many in England or abroad?

He's a better finisher than Miller no doubt, but an inferior all round player. But with your sagely knowledge of the game, you get that.

He got 22 for Killie in 2013/14 and another 19 goal season in 04/05. And when he left us for rangers he was sitting on 17 goals in 20 games. He's currently on 18/19 this season with 10 games to play. 19 goals in 60 games outside scotland, not the worst record.

I watched some of his games for Middlesbrough at the time and the service he got was attrocious. 

When Burley was manager, we were crying out for goals. The norway iwelumo incident was all the more bizarre when you realise Boyd was on the bench.

No denying miller was a better all round player but Boydy does a lot more chasing and closing down than folk give him credit for and his passing is very good. Time's gone now but should've had more caps.

He got 22 for Killie in 2013/14 and another 19 goal season in 04/05. And when he left us for rangers he was sitting on 17 goals in 20 games. He's currently on 18/19 this season with 10 games to play. 19 goals in 60 games outside scotland, not the worst record.
I watched some of his games for Middlesbrough at the time and the service he got was attrocious. 
When Burley was manager, we were crying out for goals. The norway iwelumo incident was all the more bizarre when you realise Boyd was on the bench.
No denying miller was a better all round player but Boydy does a lot more chasing and closing down than folk give him credit for and his passing is very good. Time's gone now but should've had more caps.

Fair dos I did him a disservice by neglecting to mention his excellent Killie record.
I repeat that I am and always have been a Boyd fan and I totally agree he was frustratingly underused for Scotland.
But pep's notion that Miller was tosh and Boyd was brilliant is slavering simpleton talk.

9 hours ago, Gordopolis said:

Fair dos I did him a disservice by neglecting to mention his excellent Killie record.
I repeat that I am and always have been a Boyd fan and I totally agree he was frustratingly underused for Scotland.
But pep's notion that Miller was tosh and Boyd was brilliant is slavering simpleton talk.

You'll be able to quote where I said either of those things then.  Otherwise you might be called a simpleton who can't read.

You'll be able to quote where I said either of those things then.  Otherwise you might be called a simpleton who can't read.

I'm crediting the guys on here with the ability to interpret your drivel. Grasping for quotes is last stand territory.

On ‎13‎/‎03‎/‎2018 at 01:31, Afrojim said:

Brian McClair...

20 goals in 52 games at Motherwell whilst still a teenager.

126 goals in 204 games at Celtic - 1x league title, 1x Scottish Cup, 2x Premier Division top goalscorer, 1x Scottish Writers Player of the Year, 1x SPFA Player of the year.

127 goals in 471 games at Manchester United -1x UEFA Cup Winners Cup, 1x UEFA Super Cup, 4x Premier League Titles, 3x FA Cup, 1x League Cup, 5x Charity Shield, 1x  Fans Player of the year.

...Only 30 caps for Scotland, never capped after 1993 despite playing for Manchester United regularly until 1998. Bit of a travesty that.

He had a great scoring record for clubs but had a lot of criticism when playing for Scotland. I think he only scored 2 goals in those 30 appearances and, if I recall, he was well through those 30 caps before his first goal. I always liked McClair and felt the criticism was a bit harsh as a number of his appearances were from the bench and he tended to be played quite deep (maybe that was just my perception).  His achievements at club level must exceed any other Scottish player of his generation or since.

I find it a bit bizarre to include Boyd on this list given he made himself unavailable for selection during Burley's time in charge. His conduct during that time was inexcusable and, until his fairly recent mea culpa, unforgivable.

He and Bazza's collective huff was a huge black mark on  their careers (Ferguson has admitted as much) and hugely undermined Burley's authority. Whether or not you reckon Boyd was underused is obviously a matter of conjecture and argument but what is beyond debate is that Kris Boyd sabotaged his chances of amassing more caps by withdrawing himself from consideration. 

It needs to be remembered that Boyd wasn't trusted in big games for Rangers and amassed his goals by scoring truckloads against the diddier teams in the league (we were in the seasides at this point, so I'm not casting aspersions, just providing relativity). He wasn't started by Smith in Old Firm games, or against Hearts, and especially not in European games. He was an excellent poacher, but really needed someone beside him to do the donkey work. Whenever a formation required a lone forward, he just simply wasn't hard-working enough. 

I actually agree that he should have had more caps, but the fact that he didn't is down to the man himself.  

Kris Boyd - Rangers Stats

Overall

155 Games (incl 35 sub appearances)

105 Goals (23 Pens)

7 Hat-tricks

17 Doubles

played 10617 minutes for Rangers = approx 1 goal per 101 minutes

60 Goals at Ibrox, 39 goals away and 6 at Hampden.

Only missed one game through suspension during his time at Ibrox (Motherwell a - 30 July 2006)

Has only missed 5 games through injury - all in the period 9/12/06 to 27/12/06 incl.

Has only played a full 90 (or 120) minutes on 67 occasions

Has been an unused sub 27 times - all under Walter Smith.

Has played in 155 out of Rangers 191 competitive games since he came to Ibrox. In the 155 competitive matches that Boyd has appeared, Rangers have scored 298 goals, so Boyd's 105 goals represent 35.2% of the clubs goals.

His longest run of starts for Rangers was 16 games from 28 Oct 08 to 17 Jan 09.

His longest run of consecutive scoring matches was 4 - the last 2 matches of PLG's tenure, Durrant's only game in charge, and Smith's first game in charge.

His longest run without a goal is 5 games, this has happened twice during his Rangers career.

In Europe

17 European Games, 3 Goals (1 of which was a pen)

13 games was either sub (7) or was subbed (6). Only 4 games started and completed.

17 games = 5 loses, 7 draws and 5 wins.

869 minutes of action in Europe

Average number of minutes on the field - 51 minutes.

Least minutes on field = 1 minute v Villareal (H)

Scored pen against Livorno (A)

2 goals from open play in Europe where v Auxerre (a) and Hapoel (H)

Was an unused sub in the 6 consecutive Uefa Cup matches in season 2007/2008 prior to the final.

Started all the European games (5) under Paul le Guen

Has never started in a CL group match. Indeed, has only played 34 minutes in 3 matches in the CL proper. And 89 minutes in total in 3 CL qualifying matches.

Has never scored after coming on as a sub in a European match (7 games).

In League

114 games, incl 23 sub appearances.

81 goals, incl 19 Pens

Won 75, Drew 22 and Lost 17.

Has scored 7 goals after coming on as a sub, all were in matches that we won by 2 goals or more, with the exception of Hearts at Tynecastle on 23/8/09.

51 goals at Ibrox and 30 away.

Season by Season at Rangers across all competitions

2005/06 - 21 games (4 as sub), 20 goals (2 Pens), 10 complete games.

2006/07 - 44 games (8 as sub), 26 goals (8 pens), 22 complete games

2007/08 - 41 games (16 as sub), 25 goals (5 pens), 10 complete games

2008/09 - 46 games (6 as sub), 31 goals (7 pens), 23 complete games

2009/10 - 3 games (1 as sub), 3 goals (1 pens), 1 complete game

Rocket (Topic Creator)8 years ago#2

SPL v Each team

V Aberdeen = 13 SPL games incl 5 as sub, 7 goals, missed 1 game (injury). Won 6, Drew 4 Lost 3. 1 Hat trick. 711 minutes played in total v Aberdeen in SPL.

V Celtic = 6 SPL games incl 1 as sub, 1 goal (no pens), Missed 8 games - 5 as unused sub, 2 not in squad but available and 1 through injury. Won 2, Drew 1 Lost 3. Rangers have only scored in 2 of his 6 OF games. 417 minutes played in total v Celtic in SPL.

V Dundee United = 11 SPL games incl 4 as sub, 8 goals (no pens), Missed 1 game as unused sub. 1 hat-trick and 1 double. Won 5 Drew 4 Lost 2. 672 minutes played v DU in SPL.

V Dunfermline = 4 SPL games incl 2 as sub, 1 goal (no pens). Won 3 and Drew 1. 255 minutes played v DA in SPL.

V Falkirk = 11 SPL games incl 2 as sub, 9 goals (2 pens). Scored on both sub apps. Won 10 and Drew 1. One double. 746 minutes played v Falkirk in SPL.

V Gretna = 2 SPL games incl 1 as sub, 2 goals (1 pen). Won 2. Missed 1 game as unused sub. 105 minutes played v Gretna in SPL.

V Hamilton = 4 SPL games, 7 goals (2 Pens). 1 hat trick and 2 double. Won 4. 346 minutes played v Accies in SPL.

V Hearts = 13 SPL games, 7 goals (3 pens). 2 Doubles. Won 8, drew 3 and Lost 2. Missed one game as unused sub. 919 minutes played v Hearts in SPL.

V Hibs = 10 SPL games (incl 2 as sub), 4 goals. 1 double. Won 5, drew 3 and lost 2. Missed 4 games, 3 as unused sub and 1 through injury. 718 minutes played v Hibs in SPL

V ICT = 8 SPL games (incl 1 as sub), 8 goals. 1 hat trick and 2 doubles. Won 5, drew 1 and lost 2. Missed 2 games - 1 as unused sub and 1 through injury. 560 minutes played v ICT in SPL.

V Killie = 12 SPL games (no subs), 13 goals incl 5 pens. 1 hat trick and 2 doubles. Won 10, drew 1 and lost 1. 1020 minutes played v Killie in SPL

V Livingston = 1 SPL game, 2 goals (no pens). 1 double - obviously! Won 1. 80 minutes played v Livvy in SPL.

V Motherwell = 11 SPL games inc 2 sub apps, 11 goals (3 pens). 1 double. Won 7 Drew 4. Missed 1 game through suspension. 803 minutes played v Motherwell in SPL.

V St Mirren = 9 SPL games, 5 goals (1 pen). Won 7 Drew 1 lost 1. 719 minutes played v St Mirren in SPL.

SPL v TOP SIX teams (up to and including season 08/09) = 56 games (incl 13 as sub), 31 goals (6 pens). Of those 56 games, 27 were away from home where his record is 27 games (incl 8 sub apps) and 12 goals (3 pens)

In League Cup

10 matches incl 2 sub apps.

9 goals incl 1 Pen.

Won 8 (incl 1 on Pens), Lost 2 (1 AET)

No hat-tricks, 2 doubles.

Scored 2 goals after coming on as sub.

Only missed one game in League Cup during his time at Ibrox - unused sub v Hearts LCSF 30/1/08.

1 goal at Ibrox, 5 away and 3 at Hampden.

V Dunfermline 1 goal, won.

V St Johnstone (2 games) 0 goals, won 1 and lost 1.

V East Fife 2 goals (1 pen). Game won.

V Motherwell 1 goal. Game won.

V Dundee Utd (LCF) 2 goals after coming on as sub

V Partick 1 goal. Game won.

V Hamilton 1 goal. Game won.

v Falkirk 1 goal. Game won.

v Celtic 0 goals. Came on as sub. Game Lost.

In Scottish Cup

13 matches incl 3 sub apps.

12 goals incl 2 Pen.

Won 9, Drew 2, Lost 2

2 hat-tricks, 2 doubles.

Hasn't scored any goals after coming on as sub.

Only missed one game in Scottish Cup during his time at Ibrox - not in squad v St Johnstone SCSF 20/4/08.

7 goals at Ibrox, 2 away and 3 at Hampden.

V Peterhead, Hat-trick (1 pen). Game won.

V Hibs (3 games incl 2 as sub), 0 goals. Won 1, Drew 1 and Lost 1.

V Dunfermline, 2 goals. Game lost.

V East Stirling, 3 goals (1 pen). Game won.

V Partick (2 games), 1 goal. 1 draw and 1 win.

V Queen of the South, 2 goals. Game won (SCF).

V Forfar, 0 goals. Game won.

V Hamilton, Came on as sub. 0 goals. Game won.

V St Mirren, 1 goal. Game won (SCSF)

V Falkirk, 0 goals. Game won (SCF)

Just to add/reiterate/fuckin get ye telt, I'm neither a Rangers fan or a Kris Boyd obsessive/stalker, but was interested in his goals breakdown and came across the above piece!!!

Archived