Ukraine

welshbairn

Lviv is my favourite city after Glasgow. Great weather during summer, good food and some decent bars. Cheap as chips as well. Bit of traveling to do to get there, indeed there are no direct flights from Scotland to Ukraine, but you can get to Kyiv via a few routes (KLM via Amsterdam, Wizzair via Luton). Indeed Wizz are now flying direct to Lviv from Luton.

I’ll be in Lviv this summer but going through eastern Poland (Prestwick to Rzserzow, train to Pzemsyl and there’s now a high speed train from Pzemsyl to Kyiv that stops in Lviv. 

Never been to Odessa.

And yes there’s a Dundee United fan on here that lives in Lviv, met him a couple of times.

Edited by Karpaty

5 hours ago, cal234ey said:

I’m going to Kyiv in early June. Never been before so open to suggestions for things to do or places to eat/drink.

I was in Kyiv in 2010. I'm not sure about bars or places to eat as they may well have changed by now. I found the In Your Pocket website quite useful for bars etc. 

Aside from that the war museum and the lavra caves are worth visiting.

On 11/03/2018 at 11:06, cal234ey said:

I’m going to Kyiv in early June. Never been before so open to suggestions for things to do or places to eat/drink.

Palata number 6 is worth a visit for drinking.  A bit surreal but a decent night. Just up the road from the main train station. 

I've just looked at In Your Pocket and it seems that Art Club 44 is still open. It was lesbian night when I went there. A very strange experience being one of around half a dozen men surrounded by about 200 women who were making out with each other.

Something changed inside me that night.... I'll never be a lesbian.:(

21 minutes ago, tongue_tied_danny said:

I've just looked at In Your Pocket and it seems that Art Club 44 is still open. It was lesbian night when I went there. A very strange experience being one of around half a dozen men surrounded by about 200 women who were making out with each other.

Something changed inside me that night.... I'll never be a lesbian.:(

Was it the bruised elbows that put you off?

• 5 months later...

Just booked a week at the end of October. £130 for return flights (Wizzair) plus insurance from Luton to Lviv. That’s for the “expensive” priority boarding, extra check in allowance, extra leg room shite. Maybe another £80 for return flights (easyJet) from Glasgow plus a few hours (8..) stop over. Better than over £200 KLM to Kyiv and scrambling to Kyiv city centre for an overnight train. 

• 7 months later...

I visited Lviv last summer I jsut took a plane from Warsaw and in an hour I'm there. I stayed in Dnister Hotel, rooms there aren't that expensive but the service is good and you're close to the downtown (for reference https://dnister-hotel.phnr.com/en). I was there for three days.

Day one -- we take a tour around the old town in the afternoon; then went on kumpel tour (for reference http://www.kumpel-tour.com/en/home/)-- which is pedalling a table on wheels aroudn the old town while drinking beer -- thanks God there was a tour guy who actually was doing the whole pedalling job, and we were helping him, but not all the time; after that we had dinner in one of the local restaurants.

Day two -- we had a tour around the Lviv underground and then just walked around the old town, visited different churches, cathedrals and chapels, climbed to the top of the city hall tower (which is called there ratush) and in the evening we visited yet another restaurant and had a fabulous dinner

Day three -- we visited Lviv chocolate factory and climbed the High castle mountain, took lots of pics and went to pack our suitcases

As to Odessa, one can easily get there from Lviv via plane. I think you can also take a bus or train, but taking a plane is the most comfortable way since roads there aren't good. But I guess you can get to Kyiv and take a high-speed train from there to Odessa (for reference  https://www.uz.gov.ua/en/passengers/timetable/)

14 hours ago, MixuFixit said:

How much Russian/Ukrainian do you need to get by?

The young people there know some English. But even if your Russian/Ukrainian is at beginner's level, you'll be able to get by just fine.

Still have memories from trips to Kyiv in 2006 and Kyiv/ Dnipropetrovsk in 2007.

It's a mixed bag of a country to say the least, but very interesting - and central Kyiv is a wee bit like a catwalk such as supermodels seem to grow on trees there.

4 hours ago, tarapoa said:

Still have memories from trips to Kyiv in 2006 and Kyiv/ Dnipropetrovsk in 2007.

It's a mixed bag of a country to say the least, but very interesting - and central Kyiv is a wee bit like a catwalk such as supermodels seem to grow on trees there.

Aye Dnipropetrovsk was nice in 2005.

19 hours ago, Lyle Lanley said:

Aye Dnipropetrovsk was nice in 2005.

Huge city - and a closed one in Soviet times.  Wasn't the prettiest place, but still had a couple of nice streets and boulevards and of course the Dnipro river, where our wonderfully stalinist looking hotel was located next to.

Winning there (on away goals) and getting to the group stages remains my best AFC away day experience - helped by young Ukrainian entrepreneurs passing us much needed bottles of beer through the fence in return for some hravna.

Edited by tarapoa

24 minutes ago, tarapoa said:

Huge city - and a closed one in Soviet times.  Wasn't the prettiest place, but still had a couple of nice streets and boulevards and of course the Dnipro river, where our wonderfully stalinist looking hotel was located next to.

Winning there (on away goals) and getting to the group stages remains my best AFC away day experience - helped by young Ukrainian entrepreneurs passing us much needed bottles of beer through the fence in return for some hravna.

The main square in Dmipropetrovsk was huge, sure beer was pretty cheap.  

First european away trip following Hibs and we lost 5-1. Still have my programme and dnipro scarf i swapped.  Sure their fans started fighting each other at one point during the game. 

15 minutes ago, Lyle Lanley said:

Sure their fans started fighting each other at one point during the game. 

Aye, they were an interesting bunch.   Some of our hoods arranged to have what they called a "20/20 face off" with them - and a guy got his arm broken.  Most of those we spoke to in the square afterwards were fine....

Dnipro flag.jpg

Edited by tarapoa