Bonnyrigg Rose should they stay or should they go...

Unknown Fan

• Replies 555
  • Created
  • Last Reply

I've always felt that it's a kind of 3 in 1 deal for Bonnyrigg, Linlithgow and Bo'ness. I think if one moves the other two will probably soon follow. Bo'ness have already stated their intention to move at some point, Linlithgow are already licensed, so it'll be interesting to see the result of Bonnyrigg's EGM.  

Not sure how true it is, but i've seen it mentioned that some clubs in the East Region are seeing more competition from those in the Lowland in particular. With Dalkeith moving across its another club on Bonnyrigg's door step that could compete for players.

Pole position to win the Superleague this year, do so and they move across to the EoSFL with a Scottish Cup place banked. Work on their licence while looking to win the EoSFL in one year. Seems a good time for it.

Their EGM only requires a quorum of 5 people - so this could already be a done deal if a low attendance. 

Bo'ness have shown more ambition than Linlithgow to move albeit we would be in a stronger position with already having the licence.   My personal concern would be moving to late and ending up in a Division 2.  Although I feel that the make-up of any Division 2 could be on licensed of not

If those 3 teams mentioned do go to the EOS then they need to be prepared to stay in that league for a good few yrs if you don't win the league as only 1 can go up and that's if everything is in place.

LTHV didn't go up last season and they won the league and that kept it to no one going up, hopefully Kelty can win it this season, with what they have put in place they deserve it but its on the pitch that counts.

One team going up is no good and it will hold the better teams back.

59 minutes ago, Breast Rummage Albion said:

Some of the Bonnyrigg folk were the ones who did the most slagging when Kelty left for the eos league. Be interesting to find out what’s changed their minds.

Kelty are already licenced btw emoji106.png

We don't know that they are interested. It might just be that the club thinks there ought to be a discussion.

2 hours ago, newcastle broon said:

I thought Bonnyrigg were very much against any moves. What's changed? 

14 minutes ago, newcastle broon said:

There's a clue in there when it says "future direction" though :rolleyes:

1 hour ago, Breast Rummage Albion said:

Some of the Bonnyrigg folk were the ones who did the most slagging when Kelty left for the eos league. Be interesting to find out what’s changed their minds.

Kelty are already licenced btw emoji106.png

The Bonnyrigg meeting is organised ten days prior to the deadline for applications to join the EoS which is interesting. Although I may be reading too much into that. I think some teams are panicking a wee bit that they might end up in tier 7. There's been the fairly ludicrous suggestion made on other threads that the East Region Juniors may be accepted into the pyramid en masse at tier 6 alongside the EoS. I think the EoS will give that idea short shrift considering they have a duty to act in the best interests of their member clubs and have played ball with the pyramid from the outset - almost to the league's destruction and against their own interests and the interest of their remaining member clubs but for the greater good of Scottish football. Now that the EoS is in the ascendancy I don't see them stepping aside to accommodate the juniors the way they may have done a couple of years ago, So if the juniors want to participate they'll likely need to join the EoS. I think some of the bigger junior clubs in the East are realising this and don't want to find themselves further down the pyramid than  some of the less successful junior sides in the region. 

I know it mainly affects the East but the LL must affect player recruitment in the West. Cumbernauld Colts, EK and BSC all contain players who would be playing in Super Premier / First if they did not exist. Let's be conservative and say each club has 10 players capable of playing in those leagues - that's 30 less players on the market. The figure will be higher though - you're potentially depriving the Junior leagues in the west of maybe a 3 figure number as there are good players in their U20s too who would be playing Junior or 21s otherwise. And as Bonnyton establish themselves, they will be a threat to the Ayrshire sides.

18 minutes ago, cmontheloknow said:

I know it mainly affects the East but the LL must affect player recruitment in the West. Cumbernauld Colts, EK and BSC all contain players who would be playing in Super Premier / First if they did not exist. Let's be conservative and say each club has 10 players capable of playing in those leagues - that's 30 less players on the market. The figure will be higher though - you're potentially depriving the Junior leagues in the west of maybe a 3 figure number as there are good players in their U20s too who would be playing Junior or 21s otherwise. And as Bonnyton establish themselves, they will be a threat to the Ayrshire sides.

Really good point. If you want to know how the Juniors look with so many good players potentially unavailable, then look at the North region. On any given Saturday a host of the better players (equivalent to the East/West Superleague) head off to play in the HFL, hence the lower general standard in the North Superleague .

Obviously this wouldn't happen to the East/West Region overnight but in a few years time the East/West could be competing with the North on an equal footing!

44 minutes ago, cmontheloknow said:

think aboot ww then and how they have managed to cope with the ££££s being dangled in front of decent players from junior sides on their doorstep over the years.

The tide is turning hopefully. 

4 minutes ago, GLENAFTON93 said:

Amazed at the interest on a Junior Forum by non Junior folk.

Given all the recent speculation impacts on the Senior game as much as it does the Junior game, surely it should be no surprise that there is interest?

The Bonnyrigg meeting is organised ten days prior to the deadline for applications to join the EoS which is interesting. Although I may be reading too much into that. I think some teams are panicking a wee bit that they might end up in tier 7. There's been the fairly ludicrous suggestion made on other threads that the East Region Juniors may be accepted into the pyramid en masse at tier 6 alongside the EoS. I think the EoS will give that idea short shrift considering they have a duty to act in the best interests of their member clubs and have played ball with the pyramid from the outset - almost to the league's destruction and against their own interests and the interest of their remaining member clubs but for the greater good of Scottish football. Now that the EoS is in the ascendancy I don't see them stepping aside to accommodate the juniors the way they may have done a couple of years ago, So if the juniors want to participate they'll likely need to join the EoS. I think some of the bigger junior clubs in the East are realising this and don't want to find themselves further down the pyramid than  some of the less successful junior sides in the region. 

Their tier 6 suggestion is entirely sensible to get the Juniors on board, and the EoS do not have the power of veto on that.

Whether it ever happens is another thing entirely.

Archived